Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator Belt

Options
  • 13-12-2007 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

My alternator belt has started squealing at low revs for the last week. I was hopping to wait till after xmas before getting it fixed. Is their much risk of it snapping?

I think the belt was replaced about 18months ago, i have a receipt of purchase from the previous owner, but not the receipt that it was changed by a mechanic. The belt would have regularly squealed before, in the morning after heavy rain, but only for a few seconds and i assumed it was water dropping on it. (open engine lid slates)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

if it is the anternator belt then its should be ok for another while, but what makes you say its the alternator belt though? it could be a waterpump or a fwe other things if the alternator belt was only changed over a year ago, it shouldnt go that quickly,.
    what kinda car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

try turning on your lights and heater, if it squeals some more then the belt just needs a tighten,as you load the alternator the belt starts to vibrate and squeal.But then again if it's there at low revs only, then it may be something else, give it a go and tell us how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

100% alternator belt, when its slipping i can see the lights getting dimmer and they brighten up when the belt grips again.
    At low revs was the wrong explanation, i mean when starting off, and usually goes away as i move up through the gears.
    I have tightened an alternator belt before, but in my car (mr2), i think it might be difficult to get at. will have a look tonight though. I'd hate to over tighen it, could be alot more expensive in the long run.

Advertisement