Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording Conversation?

• 13-12-2007 3:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine and I were talking about this. He reckons it's legal to record a conversation without one person's knowledge provided you're an active participant. I rooted around, and I can only find references to that in other countries. I would have figured it would violate some sort of privacy rights?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

There's another thread running on this. I think he might be right, but the real question is whether the recording can be admitted as evidence without the other persons consent or prior knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

See -
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055195607

There's an SB Post article linked that references some Irish legislation.

The SB Post article is tenuous in my opinion, as it was a Tribunal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Apologies, I didn't mean to spam. I did look for a similar thread, but it was the "taping" that caught me out, I think. :D

Although... Is there a difference between a face to face conversation and a telephone one, in this context? Whatever about using a recording as evidence, are there any doomy implications for just making it in the first place? Or letting somebody else hear it? Like, if you stuck it on Joe Duffy or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

Apologies, I didn't mean to spam. I did look for a similar thread, but it was the "taping" that caught me out, I think. :D

Although... Is there a difference between a face to face conversation and a telephone one, in this context? Whatever about using a recording as evidence, are there any doomy implications for just making it in the first place? Or letting somebody else hear it? Like, if you stuck it on Joe Duffy or something?

Sorry for bumping thread but am looking for the same information.
    If you want to upload a conversation, to say, a social media site, would there be any legal ramifications?
    I am not looking for legal advice! Just curious about the legality of such an action.

• Advertisement

Yes: A breach if privacy and/or confidence. If you have the consent if the recorded subject/person, that's not a problem.

No consent - then do not post it.

That is of course if the conversation was being broadcast within the accepted parameters and I think those circumstances are limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

Tom Young wrote: »
    Yes: A breach if privacy and/or confidence. If you have the consent if the recorded subject/person, that's not a problem.

No consent - then do not post it.

That is of course if the conversation was being broadcast within the accepted parameters and I think those circumstances are limited.

Many thanks for that. What is 'worst case scenario' if I was to do it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

would an audio recording of a conversation outside of court be admissible in evidence in a criminal trial, as an exception to the hearsay rules (inculpatory statements), if the accused did not know he was being recorded during the conversation? (provided the recording itself can be authenticated in evidence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Isn't that the point of a 'wire'? Or are evidence rules substantially different in Ireland?

Advertisement