Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+ Certification

Options
  • 13-12-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I'm thinking to do the A+ certification, or at least try to.
    I don't work in the IT field and I don't have a solid backround, but I would like to do it just because I'm passionate about computer.

Maybe I could get all the training material in my company, so it will be self-study, but then I would have to do the exames somewhere.

So the question is, where could I go to do the exams, do you have any suggestions (like university, whatever)?
    Dublin city center preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

You need to book the exam through http://www.prometric.com or http://www.vue.com

They have a few testing centres in the city centre.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 milkalot

Register through Prometric and sit the exam in new horizons on strand st.

How much does it usually cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

How much does it usually cost?

Im currently doing A+ two nights a week with ashfield college in tempelogue. Ashfield have a 70% funding from FAS so the cost came to 616 euro. I had looked around a lot of places that ran it, about half the places had fas funding.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

is there anywhere online where you can do a sample test?

• Advertisement

I dont know of anywhere online to do em, but i have download several test exam programs. Obviously the ones i have aint legal so i wont link em on boards, but have a poke around the net, ye should easily find em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I'm currently doing A+ course through Kilroys college, work are paying for it and with me working shifts i find it hard to get to a college, but what i'm wondering is where do the exams take place ? I read somewhere that u do them online surely that can't be right ?

it is right, you will sit the exam usually in the same classroom where your course is held. The official exam program connects in with i think microsoft, the second you click finish you know if u passed or failed and a cert will print immediately

goodlad wrote: »
    it is right, you will sit the exam usually in the same classroom where your course is held. The official exam program connects in with i think microsoft, the second you click finish you know if u passed or failed and a cert will print immediately

Yes but my classroom is at home ?

Oh right! :eek:
    Only thing i can assume is you will have to head to a test center for the actual exam. I cant see them allowing people to just sit at home and freely use books/google to answer questions

• Advertisement

LOL yep that's what i was thinking, knew it seemed too good to be true getting 100 % in my exam !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »

Thanks for the links seems i've still a long way to go to pass the exams !

Does anyone know if u need the study guides or books are is it enough to just work through the course to pass the exam ? Getting a bit worried after trying a few questions :confused::confused::confused:

Exams can only be done at Prometric or Vue exam centres. milkalot's suggestion was good - book it through Prometric for New Horizons on Strand Street - nice centre with helpful staff. You go into a room and take your exam on a PC, multiple choice. There's two exams, the core (hardware) and operating sytem exams - you need to pass both before gettinf certified. Some people study for core first, do exam, then OS and exam, or other way round (easier to do core first though).

I just bought a book and read it, book had sample exam CD with it. Just work through the sample questions and go back on anything you're rusty on.

Does it have to be done in dublin or are there other centers around the country ?

The course i'm doing has a CD with it which seems to cover everything would that not be enough ?

Should be fine, even better if it has sample questions.

Can't remember off the top of my head if they have centres outside Dublin but I'm sure they do.

Yep at the end of each section it has questions about the section u just done. Also i'll try out the mock exam questions posted above before the real exam. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm thinking of doing this myself. I've been pondering around the net looking at the options of doing it on-line. Another institute that offers an online version of the CompTia courses is http://www.cmit.ie. The cost is 650 euro and it looks like there's 10 per cent off until the end of Jan. Anyone else think this is a good offer???

As far as I know there is more options to do the exam outside Dublin with Thomson Prometric (otherwise known as the Driver Theory Test Centers)

Like the original poster I too don't work directly in IT but would love to get some qualifcations under my belt. Comptia seems to be the way to go. In my workplace our IT Dept is based over 100 miles away so yours truly is in the firing line to be the eyes and ears for the probems. However the gas thing is I'm findong myself telling the IT Support staff how to fix the problems rather than the other way around....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,759 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just to clarify A+ has been updated to A+ Essentials, which has all updated technology & OS's & a second exam based around what you want to end up doing either IT Technician, Depot Technician & Remote Support Technician.
    If you have a real genuine interest in PC's and have built & repaired them, with some knowledge of Networking etc then you should have no problems, I recommend you pick up Mike Meyers A+ Books and work on them yourself, so your ready, try test exams like certblaster and also go to proprofs forums (www.proprofs.com) for some more tests and hints tips from people who take these exams daily and advise on areas to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

goodlad wrote: »
    Im currently doing A+ two nights a week with ashfield college in tempelogue. Ashfield have a 70% funding from FAS so the cost came to 616 euro. I had looked around a lot of places that ran it, about half the places had fas funding.

Are FAS still running their 70% funding deal???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Raekwon wrote: »
    Are FAS still running their 70% funding deal???

Yes

signed up with CMIT. Got 10% off the course. All in all looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

bbability wrote: »
    signed up with CMIT. Got 10% off the course. All in all looking forward to it!

Where are they located or where did you sign up for this?

Barlow07 wrote: »
    Where are they located or where did you sign up for this?

On the web. http://www.cmit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

im currently doin A+ in wexford at the mo and i find this study guide is pretty good best of luck to all who are about to start!

http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/exams/a-technician.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

How much is it to the exam/s on their own? (ie No classes)

How much is it to the exam/s on their own? (ie No classes)

My tutor said about €210 per exam and he is a registered exam centre so id imagine it would be similarly priced around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,759 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

mensreas wrote: »
    My tutor said about €210 per exam and he is a registered exam centre so id imagine it would be similarly priced around the country

Wrong its 177 euros per exam and you need to do two to get the qualifications everyone does the essentials and one of the Electives so it comes to 354 euros to get the A+ qualification. I'm taking the exams in New Horizons in Strand Street Dublin.

Sounds like your tutor is creaming off some extra profits from you Mensreas, I'd pull him up on that!

Interesting but for the sake for €33 hardly worth the bother considring he is very good and he's the only one doin it in this neck of the woods bar FAS and his pass rate is very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Wrong its 177 euros per exam and you need to do two to get the qualifications everyone does the essentials and one of the Electives so it comes to 354 euros to get the A+ qualification. I'm taking the exams in New Horizons in Strand Street Dublin.

Ouch! For a pair of exams...

Nice one on the info though. I better get studying.

Advertisement