Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marantz CD5001 Vs Philips DVP5160

Options
  • 13-12-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Recently purchased these two quite different machines, the Marantz being a dedicated CDP (CD-R, CD-RW only) while the Philips is a DVD player (also plays MP3, DivX, CD-R, CD-RW and even has a USB port to the front) Both players have 24 bit/192kHz DACs.

Here's my problem, I ran audio tests using identical CDs on the same sound system and the winner was the Philips! I spend 180 euros on the Marantz but just 50 euros on the Philips and it was the Philips that outperformed the Marantz especially in the high notes.

The output levels were practically the same but there's no getting away from the disappointment I felt about the Marantz. I only bought it a week ago so now I'm thinking of taking it back.

Does anybody here have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

I got the Marantz 5001 OSE from Richer Sounds and coupled them with Monitor Audio Bronze speakers, and it sounds superb in Pure Direct mode, better than any DVD player I have ever heard for stereo music. The OSE makes a big difference apparently.

Also you don't say what you are connecting up to, or how (coaxial, opical, phono?). I'm using a pair of QED phono cables I got in Sony Centre at Stephens Green, and I'm delighted with the pure sounding stereo soundstage through my Yamaha RX-V661 home cinema receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Hi Big Tone,

Normally the dedicated cd player would sound better as the dvd is designed to be an allrounder.
    But is the marantz an se model or standard as they are totally different animals.?
    The Se is redesigned for uk ears and the other is made for japanese domestic ears tend to be more up front and treble sharp.
    Even though both are using the phillips cd engine.
    Also its sound like you got the dvd s/hand how much was it new ?
    as we can sometimes make unfair comparisons .
    You can shpe the sound from the marrantz by choosing an interconnect that has a big smooth sound.

Advertisement