Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing 1st semester in 2nd year Arts

Options
  • 13-12-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey all,
    not being pessimistic but I know I have failed at least 3 modules from this semester and not done exceedingly well in the rest. So if I repeat them next semester (and do well, hopefully) is this no big deal? How much does it cost to repeat a module?
    Since this year counts for 50% of out final degree am I f*cked? :( How is this calculated, is it overall gpa or 6 of your best module results? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hey Wilde,

I'm failing first semester in second year Arts too... :(
    I dunno how we can fix it, I was wondering the same thing. I feel that I've done so bad.. I even have an exam today but I'm only revising now!!! :eek: I've been working flat out for xmas and the exams just crept up on me.

Hope somebody can give some advice about repeats in second semester. (and also... maybe how to sit an exam with only two hours to study?!)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It is €200 to resit a module. It is €315 to substitute a module. http://www.ucd.ie/fees/fees/repeat/first_year.htm
    Resits will be in Semester 2 [with your sem 2 exams... 5th-16th May I think], you might have to repeat continuous assesment also.
    Any modules you resit are capped at 2.0. They'll show up on your transcript as Subject Grade[R].
    I think your GPA is calculated over your entire 2nd yr modules. I'm not sure.

Ask in the Programme Office they are really nice and helpful and will answer all your queries.

Chances are you havent failed, concentrate on passing the rest of your exams. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wilde wrote: »
    Since this year counts for 50% of out final degree am I f*cked? :( How is this calculated, is it overall gpa or 6 of your best module results? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Its overall Gpa of the 24 modules you will be doing in 2nd and 3rd year. Every module you do counts in Arts. All fails get 0.0 and repeating it and passing gets you 2.0. A pass by compensation i think is worth 1.8. Better hit them books. These exams are 25% of your degree

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wilde

I only have one exam, the rest is continuous assment... :mad: Is a 2.0 gpa for a repeat module good? how will this aggect my 2nd year/3rd year gpa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wilde wrote: »
    I only have one exam, the rest is continuous assment... :mad: Is a 2.0 gpa for a repeat module good? how will this aggect my 2nd year/3rd year gpa?

If you fail continious assessment modules i think you have to repeat the whole module, lectures etc if you dont qualify for compensation. Im open to correction on this tho. If thats true you may end up in stage X. 2.0 for a repeat is the highest you can get. As a grade it is a D-. Even if you get an A in the repeat, its given as a D-. How it will effect your gpa depends on what gpa youre aiming for

• Advertisement

I'm aiming for a 2.1. What do you mean stage X? Is there anything I can do to bring up my g.p.a? for example, taking extra modules in year 3 for extra credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Honestly Wilde you're really better off going into the Programme Office and asking as they can give you definite answers. I know this from experience [stage Xr]. No poster [as far as I'm aware] is qualified to give you the appropriate ans. and what we say could well just be bull or hearsay.

Have a look here to get you started, theres advice on grades etc. http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/repeat_guide.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm kind of in the same boat but It's only a 35% pass which is lovely. I bombed in an exam there last night but thanks to a genorous tutor, i only need 9% out of 70% to pass. It's a similar situation in a lot of my subjects with passing grades being given out on little more than attendance. Might not be all that bad for you

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Arts this year is all 12 for second year whereas last years 2nd arts had their best 6 taken for their degree, i know as i'm a Stage x'er, oh the fun! so i'm waiting to go into 3rd year after Xmas, but they will take all 12 2nd year modules for me now too :( not the best as i have a few capped repeat passes in order for me atm.

a 2.0 is basically a straight D- as Delta said, if you put in the work in next semester and 3rd year you should be ok.

Stage X is basically a situation where you dont have 50 credits, you need to get 50 credits to progress to the next stage(Year), 60 credits to flat-out complete the stage.

But i'm guessing you can repeat the ones you failed/think you failed next semester so you probably won't fall into a stage x situation.

also really don't be afraid/embarassed to go to the Art Programme office, they are really helpful and nice and can explain things alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i'm on erasmus now, will they take my best 6 or best 12 when i get back and do 3rd (4th) year?

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Mr. Scorpio, sir :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

griffdaddy wrote: »
    i'm on erasmus now, will they take my best 6 or best 12 when i get back and do 3rd (4th) year?

best 12. As in all of them

Advertisement