Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven problems

Options
  • 13-12-2007 11:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

ANyone else had problems with the Gourmet's Pride oven not heating up??
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

First of all they are only 1500 watts. So even when they do work they are very slow. A quality oven would be at least 3000 watts and often more. These are the cheapest lowest quality muck I have come across in many years working as an electrician.

Even if you can fix it, you will find it so slow it will drive you up the wall! Lots of these ovens have failed in Charlesland already.

Go to Power City or DID in Bray and buy a new one for about 200 - 250 and you will never look back! They are a standard size and will take little time to install.

If you need any advice PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

He's right, they are crap. Mine packed in too. If you have it less than a year then it is still under warranty and Durkan will give you the number to ring for repairs. If its over a year you should still ring Durkan and complain to them about the shoddy appliances they have installed in these houses. Every appliance in my kitchen has broken down over the past 2 years, some of them twice, but I have demanded they either fix or replace them.

If its over a year you should still ring Durkan and complain to them about the shoddy appliances

I know how you feel!! I live in a Durkan house too! They really dont care. They have made their money and any problems are yours now, that is the attitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Dougal45

thanks for the tip

My sisters oven (Charlesland Court) just died!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Time to call Pizzas n Cream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

No serious problems just yet. Anyone know where I'd get a replacement bulb for the oven? Are they a standard size?

Yes, you need a special type that is rated for ovens. You can get one in Bradys Hardware in Greystones. Bring the old one with you to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

On the subject of ovens, is anyone else in Greystones having problems with their gas ovens? The past few weeks, ours barely heats up at all, then around 9pm it comes on full blast. I'm getting worried about the turkey on Xmas day.

Well, the unthinkable happened, my oven died on Christmas day when I was putting on the roasties (All the meat was cooked that morning) for 9 people. Resourceful as I am I put the two trays in the barbecue and they cooked fine as did the roast parsnips and stuffing tray. It made for a memorable Christmas day and is probably a blessing in disguise (Sales,Sales,Sales) but it is still very frustrating. Its now two and a quarter years old and already packed in once before, but this time it is for the rubbish heap. Merry Christmas Durkans <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wineman wrote: »
    Well, the unthinkable happened, my oven died on Christmas day when I was putting on the roasties (All the meat was cooked that morning) for 9 people. Resourceful as I am I put the two trays in the barbecue and they cooked fine as did the roast parsnips and stuffing tray. It made for a memorable Christmas day and is probably a blessing in disguise (Sales,Sales,Sales) but it is still very frustrating. Its now two and a quarter years old and already packed in once before, but this time it is for the rubbish heap. Merry Christmas Durkans <snip>
    sorry wineman, had to snip the last few words there. PM me if you want to discuss further.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Maybe I`m just lucky, but the oven we got with the house is the best we ever had! Never had any problems with it and it goes like a dream...

eoin_s wrote: »
    sorry wineman, had to snip the last few words there. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Totally understand Eoin, emotions got the better of me.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

daveco23 wrote: »
    Maybe I`m just lucky, but the oven we got with the house is the best we ever had! Never had any problems with it and it goes like a dream...

Which oven do you have? Depends which builder built your house...it seems that BM Durkan went cheapo on white goods compared to Ballymore and Durkan Residential (except of dishwashers, perhap the budget was the same!)

Without going off topic much I saw an advert on the telly for MFI...you know the funny ads where people are pretending they're in their own kitchen but they're really in the showrooms...anyways, saw that there was a oven and dishwasher combination unit. The oven is in the top half and the dishwasher is in the bottom half. Fantastic idea. Can only see that Candy make these at the moment.

Anyone know if any electrical stores stock these here locally? (more particularly within walking distance, oh right Charlesland Phase 2 ain't quite start just yet :p, I'll drive so) There is limited kitchen unit space in the Ballymore built 2-beds and this idea would actually work well....

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Neighbours over has just packed it in!

A little warning for you:

In my sister's house in Charlesland (and others that I saw) the Gormet Pride ovens are are partly wired in a 1.5 flex.

This cable can safley take the small load that this oven takes (although this is against current wiring regulations).

If you change your oven for a more poweful one there is a good chance that the 1.5 flex will not safley take the larger current that the replacement oven demands.

In other words if you connect a different oven to the flex that your old oven was connected to it may present a serious fire risk.

I am a qualified electrician, and no I am not looking for work by posting this! I am no longer working in this area.

The good news is this flex is easy enough to replace with out wrecking your home!

PM me if you require more information.

fishdog wrote: »
    A little warning for you:

If you change your oven for a more poweful one there is a good chance that the 1.5 flex will not safley take the larger current that the replacement oven demands.

QUOTE]

I am of the understanding that 1.5mm square cable is only for use with lighting cables, 2.5mm square for power sockets...I don't see how any competetant electrician could wire a house and use 1.5mm for the oven when it should be at least 6mm if not 10mm square as now recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I will be going to view a Durkan built 2 Bed Apt. tomorrow but dont even want to go now after hearing all of this! Can anybody tell me if most of the 2 bed apts. are Durkan built?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a permanent ban for bubblebobble (SlinkyToo)

I am of the understanding that 1.5mm square cable is only for use with lighting cables,
    1.5 is generally used for lights, but it is also used for many other things.
    2.5mm square for power sockets
    2.5 is generally used for sockets, again it is used for many other things.
    for the oven when it should be at least 6mm
    6 square twin and earth cable is normally used in Ireland to wire a cooker.

The houses that I have seen in Charlesland have this (6 square twin and earth cable) as far a junction box located under the cooker switch. This junction box is wall mounted under the counter top behind the drawer unit. To find it remove the drawers and it is easy to see.

The 1.5 flex goes from this junction box to the oven. For my sister I replaced the cable from there to the oven. This was easy to do as the cable could be routed behind the kicker board so it is not a big deal. When the job was complete no cable could be seen. This cable can take 1.5Kw load of the Gormet Pide ovens. It may only be an issue under fault conditions.

My own house was done like this and I had an argument with the electrical contractor about it. He insisted that it was OK so I got a second and third opinion on it form the head of electrical engineering in DIT and a member of the ETCI (he is on the board that write the Irish wiring regulations). Both agreed with me (one in writing) that this did not conform to current regulations.

• Advertisement

I will be going to view a Durkan built 2 Bed Apt. tomorrow but dont even want to go now after hearing all of this! Can anybody tell my if most of the 2 bed apts. are Durken built?

Dont panic. It is not hard to fix.

jamegg wrote: »
    I will be going to view a Durkan built 2 Bed Apt. tomorrow but dont even want to go now after hearing all of this! Can anybody tell me if most of the 2 bed apts. are Durkan built?

Jamegg...sending you a PM.

Can anyone help me here? Tried to replace the oven bulb this week. I took the heat cover off the bulb but can't get the bulb out. Is it a screw bulb or a push and twist?
    I was trying every which way and it wouldn't budge!
    Thanks!

Advertisement