Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kernal error

• 13-12-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

3 major parts installed in the last couple of days..

Maxtor 80GB

Maxtor 320GB

Corsair TX750W PSU

Upgraded motherboard, CPU and RAM a couple of months ago (MS-6526, P4 2.8 and 2GB RAM)

Set up out of case with barebones setup installed Windows 2000 Pro, fully updated drivers and windows, everything seamed to be fine but now the system hangs after a few minutes, the 80GB HDD makes a slight grinding noise and then I get..

***STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE20DD574, 0x000000E, 0xA014DBD1, 0x163C7860)
    KERNAL_DATA_PAGE_ERROR
    ***ADDRESS A014DBD1 BASE AT A0000000 DATE STAMP 45ed063d - WIN32K.SYS
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump completed contact system administrator

I have done chkdsk and booted in safe mode same problem. Ran a Maxtor (Now Seagate) disk checking utility and all was good.

Any ideas??

Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Random Google says
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/prhd_exe_qofl.mspx?mfr=true
    Stop 0x7A is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.
    I'd probably add drivers for motherboard and drive controller too

hdtune can report on the smart status of the drives may give more/different info to the maxtor utility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Random Google says
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/prhd_exe_qofl.mspx?mfr=true
    I'd probably add drivers for motherboard and drive controller too

hdtune can report on the smart status of the drives may give more/different info to the maxtor utility

I updated all of the boards motherboard drivers via MSI Live auto update. Will check again though.
    Does that hdtune pick up things that the OEM software wouldn't? Cloud be worth a try I suppose.

I did a search for w2k related Kernal errors and didn't have much luck.

I packed this away just before Christmas and have now dug it back out again.
    I decided that it being a New Year I would do a complete clean install now that the BIOS had been updated.
    Set it all up out of case on anti-static mat as usual. Booted from CD selected clean install, everything was going fine until half way through the install and the 80G HDD started a slight grinding sound like it had been doing before, but seemed a bit worse this time, it went on for longer as well. So I turned everything off and decided that there must be something wrong with the HDD.
    It's the first time I have any problem with a new HDD but I guess it can happen.
    Think I'll contact the seller and ask for a replacement, what do you think?

Kevin

Not long after my last post I intalled W2K on the 320GB HDD without any problems at all. It's been running fine since, updated and everything.

Only thing is, I can't get my firewire card installed for my external DVDRW. :(

Put an RMA in for the 80GB HDD last night.

Advertisement