Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used Esats wireless service in Cork?

Options
  • 13-12-2007 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Has any used this? I never even knew it existed until somebody told me about it today. Is it a decent service? Can anyone give me info on it, download/upload speed, contention ratio, download cap, is it any good for gaming? Thanks

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Esat sales, the salesperon told me Esat only provide dsl broadband. Maybe because it's an unadvertised service he wasn't even aware of its existence. So if their salespeople don't even know about it how on earth am I meant to get more info on it? Is this a case of them having the technology but not wanting to sell it, like eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's just WiFi Hotspots at various locations. (Café, Hotel, Airports etc.). Not a Wireless Broadband service.

A hotel I stay at actually uses ISDN to connect the WiFi to Internet.

I don't think any are free.

Web page:
    http://www.btopenzone.ie/

(Esat doesn't exist BTW)
    Performance will vary enormously depending on how the hot spot is connected to Internet and number of users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

It was actually a digiweb installer that told me about it. He said I dont have LOS to the digiweb mast, but that I do have LOS to the eircom mast (Holyhill, Cork) and he assured me the Esat/BT have a wireless transmitter on there that works similar to metro (ie reciever outside your house conneced up to a modem).

Anyone heard anything about it or is he misinformed?

Advertisement