Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Charges

Options
  • 13-12-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Just booked a flight there - can you believe these scumbags are now charging 3 euro per person per flight to check in at the airport!!! This is outrageous - does anyone know who you can write to complain about this? I have already complained to the ASAI as the costs did not match the advertised costs but I wanna vent to someone about their scummy ways...bad enough about the credit card charges.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You can make your complaint direct to Ryanair by downloading their Customer Complaints Form from their site.

Each download costs just €6 plus CC charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Question, how much was the flight? And how much more expensive was the competition?
    Why not just check in online? Saves you having to Queue.

I know Ryanair should have its own subforum but at the end of the day, you will be hard pressed to find a cheaper flight in most cases.
    Class :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can check in online free, this whole setup is just another money making scheme by Ryanair. Id complain but seeing as I can fly to London for €40 return, I dont actually think its such a bad deal. The carpark costs me more.

My brother flew to england with them recently and dutifully checked in online for the outward journey, he was coming back the same day so he tried to check in for the return leg too, but nowhere on the site could he find an option to check in for his return journey. He had to check in at the airport and stump up his 3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

I'm surprised that you haven't heard about it already - it was announced in September and lots of threads posted here and on the Travel boards already. It is up to them how they charge - it is fairly transparent before you press the button to book the flight. Annoying but doubt that it is illegal.

I take more offense at the dogmatic way they enforce their baggage rules even when it is clear that people have made a mistake. The worst is not allowing people to pool baggage allowances - I've seen cases where they have tried to charge an elderly couple 5kg excess baggage because they only had one case between them with 20kg in it. Now with the new rules you must be careful if you travel as a family not to check all the bags under one name because they will allocate the bags against one persons baggage allowance rather use all 4 people travelling (even if each bag is under 15 kg). That is just pedantic and money grabbing in my view.

I must admit I always check in online and take the 10kg baggage allowance even when travelling with the two kids so it suited me when they switched the charge from online checkin to the check-in desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I'm pretty sure it states all of these charges when/before you book the flight online. No use complaining if its on the website and you just didn't read it.
    Ryanair are a low fares airline, operating on pretty tight margins afaik, and to keep costs (and keep prices low) they need to get people to check themselves in online so they don't have to pay someone to do a pretty basic operation for you. The best way to do this is have it be free -v- having to pay €3 at the airport.

And anyway, its only €3. Get over it and accept that the flight is still considerably cheaper than elsewhere.

KtK wrote: »
    but nowhere on the site could he find an option to check in for his return journey. He had to check in at the airport and stump up his 3 euro.

Thats funny.... :D
    That section must have been "offline for upgrade" :D

Do the check in staff get that money as a bonus? Or does it just go into Ryanairs coffers i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Get over it

I will not get over it - just because it is cheaper than elsewhere does not make it ok for them to throw what ever charge they feel like at a consumer and still disguise their flights as being something that they are clearly not (i.e. 99c each way)

the reason they get away with these things is that folk like you are only too happy to put up with their tripe and so we continue to get shafted.

Hagar wrote: »
    You can make your complaint direct to Ryanair by downloading their Customer Complaints Form from their site.

nice one :)

Look, if you follow the rules, which are clearly laid out before you book... you do not pay anything extra... for instance.. last time i flew with them, i paid 4c return for two of us to Stansted... that's all, no other charges. Everything they tried to add on, i took off. It was a great flight, nice and simple... love that their seats do not go back and wish transatlantic flights were like that.

4c, nothing else to pay... i followed the rules, i have no complaints.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Look, if you follow the rules, which are clearly laid out before you book... you do not pay anything extra... for instance.. last time i flew with them, i paid 4c return for two of us to Stansted... that's all, no other charges. Everything they tried to add on, i took off. It was a great flight, nice and simple... love that their seats do not go back and wish transatlantic flights were like that.

4c, nothing else to pay... i followed the rules, i have no complaints.

agreed - but now you are charged to check in - regardless of whether you do it online or whether you do it in the airport - you cannot get out of that. and how did you get out of paying for the credit card charges?

daveirl wrote: »

that is fine and dandy if there is another airline to fly - which there is not.

never realised that - in my opinion that just makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I will not get over it - just because it is cheaper than elsewhere does not make it ok for them to throw what ever charge they feel like at a consumer and still disguise their flights as being something that they are clearly not (i.e. 99c each way)

the reason they get away with these things is that folk like you are only too happy to put up with their tripe and so we continue to get shafted.

WOW is all i can say. You're very naive to think you can get a flight anywhere for 99c, you can't even get the bus into the city center for that.

by charging people who want to check in at the airport they are keeping the cost of flying down for those whom don't. Ryanair really only want people with carry-on luggage and who will check in online so they don't need many ground staff. for all other passengers they add lots of little extras. Basically you pay for what you use. If you don't use it you don't pay for it. Unlike all other airlines who divide the cost amoung all passengers

Not the point - I wouldn't be flying the route if it wasn't offered - the point is the crap Ryanair get away with because they are "budget". If the cost came up as twice as i was originally quoted but there were no additional (hidden) charges - i would not be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

True, unless you are a non-EU passport holder, in which case you must check in at the airport, and Ryanair will charge you for that privilege.

This stipulation applies to all travellers in the group, so if five are travelling and one is non-EU the all will be forced to use airport check-in.

Ryanair will supposedly refund this charge to non-EU passport holders, but only if you apply in writing by letter and fax……..

Some chance of that I reckon..

Noelie wrote: »
    WOW is all i can say. You're very naive to think you can get a flight anywhere for 99c, you can't even get the bus into the city center for that.

by charging people who want to check in at the airport they are keeping the cost of flying down for those whom don't. Ryanair really only want people with carry-on luggage and who will check in online so they don't need many ground staff. for all other passengers they add lots of little extras. Basically you pay for what you use. If you don't use it you don't pay for it. Unlike all other airlines who divide the cost amoung all passengers

Again, I have no problem paying it if is upfront. It is the sneaky and back door way Ryanair go about adding on the charges that is pissing me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Granted but surely everyone know how Ryanair opperate at this stage, it's not like they suddenly just started this, it's the way they have opperated for many years now.

Noelie wrote: »
    Granted but surely everyone know how Ryanair opperate at this stage, it's not like they suddenly just started this, it's the way they have opperated for many years now.

I never knew about the checkin charge - this is a new one on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Anyone with luggage can't check in online, this despite the fact that you've already paid for your luggage. Even if you have no luggage and happen to be travelling with someone who has, you can't check in online. Cheap fares or not this is sharp practice IMO.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

bmaxi wrote: »
    Anyone with luggage can't check in online, this despite the fact that you've already paid for your luggage. Even if you have no luggage and happen to be travelling with someone who has, you can't check in online. Cheap fares or not this is sharp practice IMO.
    Ive never tried, but dont they have a luggage dropoff? Im pretty sure Aerlingus do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Again, I have no problem paying it if is upfront. It is the sneaky and back door way Ryanair go about adding on the charges that is pissing me off.

They told you about it before you booked and handed over your money. Is that not upfront?

I am sure this makes sense to you but unfortunately none to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I noticed that the other day when pricing some Aer Lingus flights. I suppose it's not surprising given the price of petroleum generally, but still €50 a leg per passenger is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

KtK wrote: »
    Ive never tried, but dont they have a luggage dropoff? Im pretty sure Aerlingus do.

From Ryanair T&C

No checked baggage is permitted when using online check-in (including mobility equipment which must be carried in the hold of the aircraft). Check N’Go passengers can carry one item of hand baggage per passenger, weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. If hand baggage does not fit in the Ryanair Baggage sizer, it will not be allowed on board.

Yes Aer Lingus do have a luggage drop off but this is Ryanair.
    While I can see the low cost carrier argument I think what gets most people's backs up is having to trawl through reams of T&Cs to find the exact cost and even then not knowing what other surcharges will apply. For instance, in September, I booked and paid for a flight to Rome in January and assumed that I had paid all charges. Now this check in thing comes up and I find that I'm going to have to pay another €20. Considering the flight was only €10 to start with this is a huge percentage increase.

Advertisement