Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

daveirl wrote: »

Are not fuel surcharges only applicable to long haul, which Ryanair don't operate anyway?

daveirl wrote: »

Glad to hear it but then you can get my point about things not being made clear. If I showed up for the flight and they asked for the check in fee I would pay it simply because I wouldn't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Probablye because Ryanair is so cheap, that when people find they have to pay a few Euro extra, but still pay about the same as a cab fair to the airport, their bubble of a €2 flight is burst so they are more mad than if they had to pay more in the first place...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Just out of curiosity:

Did anyone ever hear Ryanair explaining why do they charge CC surcharge per leg/per passenger?

I'm just wondering what's the reasoning behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I presume that it's much the same reason why a well-known ticket-selling company charge per ticket. To make as much money as possible.

dudara wrote: »
    I presume that it's much the same reason why a well-known ticket-selling company charge per ticket. To make as much money as possible.

I'm presuming that as well, that's why I wanted to know if anyone ever heard of them trying to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

booked my ticket from London to Dublin about a week ago for next week. Total cost from Stansted to Dublin including everything was £17.20 (including desk check-in and one bag)

someone tell me a cheaper flight for the week before Christmas, and then i'll start to be annoyed at their prices.

/although would prefer an upfront estimate of prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Aren't the EU supposed to be cracking down on these sneaky hidden charges and automatically selecting all the 'extras'?

I agree that Ryanair are generally cheaper but some of their carry on is pretty sharp practice. Advertising estinations where the airport they land in is nowhere near the destination, advertising €10 fares including all taxes and charges and then add on €3 CC fee (which is virtually impossible to avoid as they don't take laser). I once deselected all the extras online and before I confirmed noticed I'm made a typo in the billing address. I pressed the 'Back' button on the browser and all the extras re-selected themselves. This is sharp practice!

The thing is you can often book a €20 return flight and after everything the fare can come to about €45-50. If they just told me up front a return flight to eurpoe was that much I'd snap their hands off. Make fees etc more transparent and you get less negative publicity and probably as much business.

• Advertisement

In effect, every business in the country, the world even, will charge for expenses incurred, whether this be credit card charges, provision of shopping trollies, fuel etc. but when have you been asked to pay more than the shelf price in Tesco or Dunnes for using a C.C. or a trolley?
    These practises may come back to haunt the likes of Ryanair in the future as the word will be "Ryanair are having a sale", "oh yeah but.............."
    The flights are cheap, everybody with half a brain knows that, why deliberately set out to antagonise people? Just factor in all the costs and be upfront, the flights will still be a bargain and the customer will be happier. Whats more you can have the slogan " cheap flights with no hidden extras." Bound to be a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The thing is you can often book a €20 return flight and after everything the fare can come to about €45-50. If they just told me up front a return flight to eurpoe was that much I'd snap their hands off. Make fees etc more transparent and you get less negative publicity and probably as much business.

But how can they do that when they offer a lot of services as optional extras? It's only AFTER you've said what you want (check in luggage, online checkin etc.) that they can quote a price.

It's like car ads on TV where you see cars "from" €9,999 and then in small print information that says "The car shown is the de-luxe model" at €19,999.

Checked luggage, airport checkin etc. are now optional extras. Get used to it.

BendiBus wrote: »
    But how can they do that when they offer a lot of services as optional extras? It's only AFTER you've said what you want (check in luggage, online checkin etc.) that they can quote a price.

It's like car ads on TV where you see cars "from" €9,999 and then in small print information that says "The car shown is the de-luxe model" at €19,999.

Checked luggage, airport checkin etc. are now optional extras. Get used to it.

Airport check in is not an optional extra if you don't have access to the internet and there are many who don't. If you've booked to fly with a bag and paid for the privelege why is it a surprise to Ryanair when you show up with same bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

bmaxi wrote: »
    Airport check in is not an optional extra if you don't have access to the internet and there are many who don't. If you've booked to fly with a bag and paid for the privelege why is it a surprise to Ryanair when you show up with same bag.

How did they book the flight in the first place if they didn't have internet access !

I incurred the €3 charge last week for the simple reason i had no access to a printer by the time i got home to get my passport number. It was annoying to have to pay it but i knew there was an alternative and i accepted it.

Anyone that thinks they're going to get a flight for 1c or whatever is in cloud cuckoo land and rather than looking at themselves for not being more informed they blame everything else. While i don't agree with the way the pricing is being done and i believe the EU is looking at it, I have enough cop on to know that 1c each way, add €20 each way in taxes, €5 CC fee should be about how much i need to pay.

I applaud online check in, i never bring a big bag at the weekend and i hate queuing. If people insist on holding up the queue and requiring more than 10KG and more than 100ml bottles of various fluids, charge them away, it'll make more 1c flights available for the rest of us. I believe Michael O'Leary was talking last year about removing toilets as they are too expensive to run, while you should keep one and charge for the privilege of using it, the cost saving should further increase my chances of a 1c flight. Of course when this was suggested some journalists had a field day slaggin off Ryanair and their tight fisted ways, see the bigger picture please. I have never used a Ryanair jacks in my life, why should i pay for someone else's privilege. You pay to use the toilets on the street now, most buses don't even have the luxury of a toilet. I believe the solo card means you can avoid the CC handling fee as well, this is a rip off charge when we don't have the alternative here in Ireland but we know it's there so get over it. It costs every time to process a CC albeit not €5. For this charge we have no alternative so it is unfair but we all know it's there. Other airlines just hide it in their charges.

When you watch your family get on a eurolines bus, travel 3 hours to the boat, 3 hours on the boat and another 4 hours to London cos Aer Lingus/BA etc were charging a weeks wages each way you'll realise how lucky we are.

Keep up the good work Michael :D

Ryanair are putting in kiosks next year btw, don't know if there is a charge for using them but they may be the alternative to online check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Airport check in is not an optional extra if you don't have access to the internet and there are many who don't.

Don't think you can book a Ryanair flight in the first place without internet access.

Don't think you can book a Ryanair flight in the first place without internet access.

http://www.ryanair.com

Ryanair
    To book any Ryanair flight just click though to their booking system by clicking on the link.

Alternatively you can call Ryanair's telephone booking line on 0906 270 5656 from UK or 1530 787 787 from ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Alternatively you can call Ryanair's telephone booking line ... 1530 787 787 from ROI.

33c per minute. Don't you just love the bastards.

Hagar wrote: »

OMG you mean it's not Freefone?:eek:

OMG you mean it's not Freefone?:eek:

what about all the people without access to phones :mad:

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »

Try using the internet then, you will find that is free.

Carry on luggage is also free.

Check in online is also free.

When are people going to understand Ryanair do not want to staff phones, they don't want hold luggage, and they don't want to staff check in desks! These savings will then be passed on in fares, for those who want some of these extras then you pay for the privilege. Either that or go elsewhere, and as can be seen by their passenger growth people don't want to because they get value.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, you pay for all these services with other airlines, they are part of the ticket cost regardless of if you use them or not. Why should i pay for an extra for someone else to utilise.

tippbhoy wrote: »

When are people going to understand Ryanair do not want to staff phones, they don't want hold luggage, and they don't want to staff check in desks! These savings will then be passed on in fares, for those who want some of these extras then you pay for the privilege. Either that or go elsewhere, and as can be seen by their passenger growth people don't want to because they get value.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, you pay for all these services with other airlines, they are part of the ticket cost regardless of if you use them or not. Why should i pay for an extra for someone else to utilise.

That's all fine. Agreed on that.

Maybe you can explain why i have to pay CC charge per person/per leg?

ojewriej wrote: »
    That's all fine. Agreed on that.

Maybe you can explain why i have to pay CC charge per person/per leg?

I can only speculate but i think this is a rip off myself. I highlighted earlier in the thread that this is not a fair transaction for Irish people as we do not have an alternative. I believe the charge on the UK Solo card is much less.

It should be a percentage of the total transaction, obviously the more legs and the more people = the more commission that has to be paid. It should not be a fixed rate as the commission charge is not based on a fixed rate.

My main argument here is not to defend the entire Ryanair pricing policy, it is to dispute the complaints made by the OP regarding having to pay itemised yet optional extras. It is not right that every Ryanair thread descends into an anti Ryanair rant when lets call a spade a spade, practically everyone uses them. Let's deal with each on an individual basis.

To back up this, i think it's a disgrace that the EU allows a pricing policy for airlines that is akin to a tin of beans for 5c + VAT + shelf leasing space + fixed costs = 75c. Ryanair are no worse than any other airline for this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

As the OP of this thread i am amazed at the amount of people who do not actually read what i was bitching about, which was not the cost, but the underhandedness of the whole transaction which leaves you feeling not that you have got a bargain but with a bad taste in your mouth.

As the OP of this thread i am amazed at the amount of people who do not actually read what i was bitching about, which was not the cost, but the underhandedness of the whole transaction which leaves you feeling not that you have got a bargain but with a bad taste in your mouth.

I agree, the fact that the fares are cheap is not in dispute. It's the feeling that you have to travel with a copy of Ryanair's T&C's in your bag, lest you fall foul of some obscure subsection that ends up costing you a month's salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

tippbhoy wrote: »

There are strict criteria for online checkin

I could not avail of the online checking and had to pay for airport checkin because my 2 sons are on my passport.

You do not have to have a passport for travelling between UK & Ireland yet you need one for online checkin. Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The thing is that Aerlingus are no better. They have a 6 euro PER PERSON handling fee for credit card even though it is is the same credit card transaction for the 2 passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As far as Ryanair is concerned , I have avoided them ( using them only when I have to ) since they started charging for wheelchairs. I think their customer service att ( from the top down ) totally stinks. I really hope that one day they realise that the customer they hate/despise so much actually pays their wages.

You have to applaud what they have done for airtravel costs, but I think that it can be done with a smile on the face instead of a kick in the b**ls.

Now as far as underhanded charges are concerned the ones that concern/annoy me are the way Aer Lingus for example put insurance automatically on your flight and you HAVE to click to cancel it.

I don't want insurance , but it's easy if you are in a hurry , don't check, blick to miss that this is on there , then you have to cancel it.

As for the CC charge , that is terrible , no way it costs that much to process a CC, but in this respect they are no worse/better than a certain ticket broker who sells all the tkts for all the gigs.

If you want a GOOD example use the BMI website , there ALL costs are included, there are no surprises etc. It can be done , I assume BMI make money etc.

( I have no affliation to any airline but I fly A LOT , as in 4 trips a month )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 swx22000

Phone Aviation Regulators on 016611700

Advertisement