Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus?

Options
  • 13-12-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Does anyone have any info on the Erasmus exchange? I'd like to go back to Canada some year, and if it is possible, how would I get about doing it? I'm only in first year so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

what do you study? the term erasmus is just for european exchanges by the way, can't remember what the international ones are called. Anyway, i know you can go to Canada with psychology, and there's probably one or two general places in arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I think it' Socrates if you go outside the EU.

You presumably won't get the EU grant too if you go outside the EU.

I've a friend in final commerce who spent last year in Toronto so some courses allow you to go - again it's completely dependent on your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

It will depend largely on your course, Commerce students go all over the world and a lot of Arts people can go all over Europe on an Erasmus.

Then there's other courses that might allow you to go to Canada. Competition for places would be pretty high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

Well I'm in first year science. Do ya know where I can find out about the international exchange? Like what courses are accepted and what countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Best bet is to ask in your programme office. Erasmus generally happens in your third year so you've a bit of time yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

I went on an Erasmus, and it was possibly one of the best things I ever did. Do it!!!
    What you want to do isn't "technically" called an Erasmus, what you need to do is visit the International Office, it's in the Admin building (opposite Arts), walk in the door, keep going straight and then head up the stairs facing you, they're really friendly and were really helpful when I went on my Erasmus.

First though, check this out http://www.ucd.ie/international/outgoingexchangesnoneu.htm

However, unlike the Erasmus situation, I'm not sure you get a "grant"...although, I can't really say what you receive from the Erasmus programme is all that substantial to be honest in comparison to what some of the British students get-anyway, as far as finances go, just a word of warning living abroad is expensive, regardless of where you are, you'll end up with random expenses that you never conceived of, so you may need to get out a bit of a loan unless you've a direct line to the parental banking system...but don't let that put you off!

Good luck, and do it! If you can't get Canada, try somewhere else, believe me, it's worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

Thank you very much for the info!

Advertisement