Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Belfast

Options
  • 06-12-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

IKEA Belfast is all set to open its store on Thursday 13th December. The announcement was made by store manager Paul Reid at the store's 'Topping Out' event, marking a major milestone in IKEA Belfast's construction.

The Lord Mayor of Belfast, Cllr Jim Rodgers OBE, was in attendance as the last skylight was placed on the Holywood Exchange building, which will cover an equivalent area of five and a half football fields.

belfast_map250x250.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Got a catalogue in the post the other day and was a ad (not a email) on my hotmail account :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

does anyone know if the Belfast Ikea will deliver to Dublin?

http://www.ikeanewstores.co.uk/belfast/

Couldn't find anything on Delivery but didn't have much time to check :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DotOrg wrote: »
    Customer Service Number
    0845 355 1113
    http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/customer_service/contact_us/contact.html

Let us know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So Ikea has finally set foot on the island of Ireland at the very end of 2007 (better late than never) I suppose, and to be on the positive side it will stop the need for consumers to take the Ferry over to Glasgow, Croydon & the rest of the UK branches! so on this landmark day in Retail history, I have provided some detail, facts & figures surrounding this long (decades) awaited Swedish Retailer on the island of Ireland.

The stage is set for Belfast Lord Mayor Jim Rodgers to chop the inaugural Swedish Log - an Ikea tradition - to declare the flagship store open at 10am on Thursday (today), the PSNI has been forced to defend its decision to allow three officers to travel to Spain to attend the opening of an Ikea store there.

It has emerged that the spent three days in Malaga in October ahead of the opening of the Swedish furniture company's "Largest UK Store" in east Belfast.

A police spokeswoman said the trip allowed the officers to "gain an insight into the opening of a similar sized Ikea store".

A company spokeswoman said: "The Belfast store has the largest selling space that any other Ikea Store in the UK, and we expect a busy, busy pre-Christmas period."

The statistics are mind-boggling; a building that covers 29,000 square metres - equivalent to six football pitches - with 50 showrooms, a market hall, warehouse, 565-seat restaurant, crèche and ancillary services.

"There are 1,600 car parking spaces - 2,000 during the opening period - and we sell a range of almost 10,000 items. It's quite a store," said the spokeswoman. "Oh, and we will employ 400 people, full-time and part-time."

Ikea has been in talks with Roads Services and PSNI in a bid to prevent traffic snarl-ups, especially in the initial period.

Just wondering what people make of Ikea landing on the island, and are you all looking forward to getting out your Allen Keys & assembling your Dining Room Table in time for the Christmas Day Dinner? and will you be travelling up by car to Belfast? at the cost of 'expensive' Furniture outlets here in the South?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats great but whats the consumer issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oops ~ sorry, have I posted this thread in the wrong place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

I heard on the radio this morning that IKEA in Belfast would deliver to the Republic - not sure how true that is. It is suppose to be the biggest store in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

DotOrg wrote: »

Only thing that I've found is on a discussion forum:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=66998&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not a consumer issue per se, but I can't think of many other suitable homes for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

moved to Belfast

Merged the 2 threads :P We don't need multiple threads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Was anyone there and what were the prices like?

Might be tempted to head down there in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 matressmonkey

They charge 100 sterling for two trolley loads of stuff to Dulbin and 50 per trolley afterwards. Min charge 100 sterling.

You could hire a van for cheaper, drive up, fill up and back again.

Price are quite cheap. Irish Breakfast....wait for it.......95 pence!

Very well organized, and laid out as I would expect from IKEA.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Took herself to IKEA Manchester a while back and now she insists we go to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

biko wrote: »
    Took herself to IKEA Manchester a while back and now she insists we go to Belfast.
    Never take a woman to any shop where there are bargains :D

Advertisement