Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

15k to spend on a car - not for the family

Options
  • 13-12-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Have 15k would like something that handles sweet and has a wee bit of pickup. Have been driving my wifes 99 hyundai accent for the last while as she has the mondeo with the new baby. Would like something with 4 doors , about 1.6 - 1.8. Have been looking at the usual, golfs, 147's, focus etc.

Would like some recommendations for something that i could take a look out that is a little outside the ordindary. I guess you could call this the mid life crisis car on a budget :-).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Not 15k, but you could bargain it down to this ?

http://www.cbg.ie/cardetail.aspx?ID=1340995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Restricting yourself to both a 1.6-1.8 AND 4 doors is fairly limiting really!
    If you want a rewarding drive for 1.6-1.8 there are things like the MX5, where as if you want 4 doors and a rewarding drive there are things like a BMW 330 saloon. Both can be got for your budget. However combining 1.6-1.8 with 4 doors and 15k isn't going to return much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

How about one of the following?

VW Golf Gti turbo
    Seat Leon Cupra (180 or 225bhp)
    Ford Focus ST170
    Civic Type R
    Toyota Corolla T-Sport

Would get any of them for €15k, some come in 5 door and all will be great to drive. The difficult choice is which one???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

seat leon cupra

EDIT: a minute too late

• Advertisement

Only the Golf and Cupra have 4 doors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Pretty sure the Focus and Corolla come in 5 door too. Maybe only in the UK though (which is where I'd be looking if I was buying one).

God I wish I had €15k to spent on a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

craichoe wrote: »
    Not 15k, but you could bargain it down to this ?

http://www.cbg.ie/cardetail.aspx?ID=1340995

17d53721-d83e-42a3-a4dc-fdee9c1e80ac_medium.jpg
    cbg.ie wrote:
    VRT Optional
    :rolleyes:

or did they get their punctuation wrong? I'd like to think the latter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the car is "not for the family" why are 4 doors needed? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

My St170 has 5 doors so unless the previous owner got busy with an angle grinder they are available albeit rarer than the 3dr.
    Think the Focus RS was only available in 3dr which is maybe what biro was thinking?
    Can highly recommed one if your looking for something quick and practical with good handling.
    Managed to get a 5 dr with comfort pack in imperial blue, took a while to find it though!
    Still pretty exclusive in Ireland compared to most performance hatchbacks.

• Advertisement

Dan_B wrote: »
    My St170 has 5 doors so unless the previous owner got busy with an angle grinder they are available albeit rarer than the 3dr.
    Think the Focus RS was only available in 3dr which is maybe what biro was thinking?
    Can highly recommed one if your looking for something quick and practical with good handling.
    Managed to get a 5 dr with comfort pack in imperial blue, took a while to find it though!
    Still pretty exclusive in Ireland compared to most performance hatchbacks.

Had the RS in mind actually, ya. Thanks for the correction! Come to think of it though, never saw a 5dr ST170! You have a rare version of a rare machine!
    Corolla T-sport definately didn't come in 5 door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    Only the Golf and Cupra have 4 doors!

Not unless they were made as a saloon(which they weren't) they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Seat Leon Cupra gets my vote

E92 wrote: »
    Not unless they were made as a saloon(which they weren't) they don't.

Damn... really asleep today! Of coarse I meant 5! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

some sweet cars, especially the mazda's. would love to get a two seater but need to think of the odd occasion when the wifes car is out of commision. Was looking at something tamer 147. or the like. I hear all these horror stories about alfa's. Anybody own one, are they really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

some sweet cars, especially the mazda's. would love to get a two seater but need to think of the odd occasion when the wifes car is out of commision. Was looking at something tamer 147. "]147.[/URL] or the like. I hear all these horror stories about alfa's. Anybody own one, are they really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Audi TT is the car at that money - you would get a 00 reg. They really are pretty much bullit proof with regular oil changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Well I think ya should buy this 318ci :rolleyes:
    754710_20071029011047_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im really intrested in a 147 too, would love a 2L lusso, but would probably have to go to the UK for a decent one.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

as said, if you can live with 2 doors, you could get an audi tt....
    225bhp, 4wd and can be tuned easily enough...if your into that

• Advertisement
Advertisement