Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsgroups advice......

Options
  • 13-12-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I was a Newsgroup user when I lived in the UK, I used NTL and newsleacher (the one where you could search, but it couldnt tell you where the files were, iirc you had to pay to get a real search, not just the teaser one I had)

I am just wondering what people use now? Have there been any big changesover the last 3/4 years?

What services are you using? I was thinking of going with NewsDeamon.com, anyone have any other recommendations? NewsDeamon throw in Newsrover for free too.

I want a reader that I can search with, I would prefer it be free of course but is there one out there?

As I said I have used the groups before so know how they work, all I need I guess is a little update on how things are now.

Thanks.

Oh and are any Irish ISP doing anything to restrict the use of newsgroups?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I use newshosting.com for my news server. Grabit(www.shemes.com free) as my client and newzleech.com(free) as my search engine. Never had any problems with this setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cheers DingDong, I didnt realise there were search engines, I am pretty sure there were none when I was using groups, or I just couldnt find them!

Yeah theirs a few about http://www.binsearch.info/ is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I use Newzbin to search (you have to pay but it's really cheap) and GrabIt with an account with Usenet.net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i use newzbin also with newsleecher and usenetserver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Newzbin + sabnzbd + Nova theme

How to setup sabnzbd - http://www.slideshare.net/dnthomps/newsgroup-clients-basic-setup-configuration-of-sabnzbd

All the info on newsgroups you'll ever need - http://shsc.info/NewsGroups

I use giganews, about 10 euro for 25GB /mo

Get your newzbin credit next week when it's half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I second sabnzd , a great piece of software that does the tedious jobs of repairing and extracting.It's a wee python script.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

binsearch +grabit and astraweb you can buy an 90gb package for $25 if you dont want to take out a monthly subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Can anyone explain how are newsgroups better than BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Speed. Faster.

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote: »

With Newsgroups you use your full download speed. Its a total leech system you never need to upload back. Only bad thing is you have to pay for access. I rarely if ever use BT as it so slow.

Here's a list of newshosting.com prices. You get 8 connection with them and if you wanted you could split the price with a friend. I think their one of the few news server who don't mind muiltple IP's address on one account:

Limited Cost
    10G/month $10.00
    Unlimited (45) Cost
    Monthly $14.95
    6mo $83.70
    12mo $155.40
    Unlimited (70+) Cost
    Monthly $19.95
    6mo $111.69
    12mo $207.37

Here's a link to a free 3 day trial if you fancy giving newsgroups a spin
    http://member.hitnews.eu/signup.php?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Thanks for all the help guys............

NANOJO, I have signed up with Astra, 25Gb to see how I get on, impressed already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I use NewsDeamon.com and their fine

IMO, Usenet.net are the best! If you want to check them out, they currently have a 10GB trial offer.

Their customer support is simply the best I have ever witnessed! Really impressive! :eek:

And at $11.99 USD a month for Unlimited Downloads with 10 connections, they are, IMO, the best available out there! :)

Whats the speeds like from usenet?

I'm with giganews, largely because of their European server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

giganews is quite fast. I can max out a 6Mb DSL line no problem and I can hit speeds of 3MB/sec sustained on a hosted linux server so speed aint an issue with them!

IMO, Usenet.net are the best! If you want to check them out, they currently have a 10GB trial offer.

Their customer support is simply the best I have ever witnessed! Really impressive! :eek:

And at $11.99 USD a month for Unlimited Downloads with 10 connections, they are, IMO, the best available out there! :)

Usenet are 11.99 for 2months, and 18.99 after that...

zabbo wrote: »
    Usenet are 11.99 for 2months, and 18.99 after that...
    They've been charging me $11.99 for months! Better say nothing... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

I use usenext http://www.usenext.com/

they are not the cheapest but I like the software and never had any problems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sukhumvit

binsearch.net + grabit + giganews

No problem at all, max of my 6Mb line all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I was looking into this yesterday and I signed up with usenet.com

However I cancelled again when I read later on line that the RIAA in the US are suing them. It appears to be the test case and according to the article below they have a chance of winning due to the way usenet.com used to word their website

If they win it might have a big effect on usenet providers.

More here
    http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html

Anyone using an ssl provider? Usenet.com supposedly offered it but i could not get it to connect yesterday - only through non ssl port 119

zabbo wrote: »
    Whats the speeds like from usenet?
    If you're talking about Usenet.net, speeds are perfect. I max out my 4Mb line everytime I connect. If I had a 6 or 8Mb line I'm sure I would be maxing it out also.

Advertisement