Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Network for Mobile Internet?

• 13-12-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I'm currently a billpayer with O2, with a SE K800i which I'm well pleased with, great little phone. My contract's up in February and I'll probably upgrade to either an iPhone (if available) or a Nokia N95 8GB (if available).

Thing is, I've started to use the internet on my phone a good bit, very handy for work or college where I have to look up things on the fly. Since I've started to do this on 02, my monthly bill has easily doubled, the shower of bastards.

Do Vodafone do good data packages? Or do you think O2 will bring in an large volume daily internet package for their mobiles? Cause at the moment the prices they charge is atrocious!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

None of the other networks can come close to the n95 on three. But if it is the iphone then o2 is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 - €30 per month for the broadband addon. 10GB data transfer limit, with fair usage policy so they won't charge you as soon as you pop over the cap!

See the bottom of this page: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Add+ons

I use the O2 broadband package and it's rock solid for the most part. Far better than 3 (not difficult granted) and Vodafone (which I've used for about 10 days in total)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Thanks. So, anyone got any idea when

(A) The iPhone might arrive on O2.

or

(B) When the N95 8GB is due on the network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

O2, as Three is crap, voda is over priced and meteor is a joke.

O2 has GPRS,EDGE,3G & HSDPA and they have been upgrading their network continously and EDGE is almost countrywide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

O2 have a broadband add on that you can get for €30 a month where you use the phone as the modem, if you are using a laptop, and I assume that you can browse using your phone as well, I would get this saves you getting a usb modem. I would just select a phone with HSDPA , I think the nokia 6110n has this not too sure what other phones have. I know the iPhone does not and I think that the N95 is only 3G transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Flying wrote: »

O2 has GPRS,EDGE,3G & HSDPA and they have been upgrading their network continously and EDGE is almost countrywide
    3 may have some things to sort out but they are far from crap, easily the best network in ireland

if your going to say something is crap at least give a reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Are you using the phone itself or as a modem?

What do people think of the vodafone mobile internet package for 9.99 per month? Is it good or just a bit of a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

For mobile broadband i.e. broanband on your handset Three are far from crap, infact their prices are better than the other networks and better coverage than the rest also.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Jesus tell me about it - bought an E65 on Meteor bill and started checking my emails at work once a day on Yahoo and Hotmail 'cos we're not allowed webmail on our PC's- that's it no downloading or anything just basic stuff on Opera - came to just over 1 meg of data on my last bill - they charged me €18 !! Will be using wifi only from now on I'm not giving them another cent for Data that's just extortion.

How the hell do they expect to grow their Data business with charges like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

eamon234 wrote: »
    Jesus tell me about it - bought an E65 on Meteor bill and started checking my emails at work once a day on Yahoo and Hotmail 'cos we're not allowed webmail on our PC's- that's it no downloading or anything just basic stuff on Opera - came to just over 1 meg of data on my last bill - they charged me €18 !! Will be using wifi only from now on I'm not giving them another cent for Data that's just extortion.

How the hell do they expect to grow their Data business with charges like that?

Eamonn, sounds like your account hasn't been "provisioned for ISP Access" (meteors phrase) you need to get onto customer care and ask them to do this, it's not done automatically. You've been charged 2 cents per kB under their WAP Access, if you were on ISP Access you'd only have been charged €0.0048/kB (€4.92 per mb) - see their call cost page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ablelocks wrote: »
    Eamonn, sounds like your account hasn't been "provisioned for ISP Access" (meteors phrase) you need to get onto customer care and ask them to do this, it's not done automatically. You've been charged 2 cents per kB under their WAP Access, if you were on ISP Access you'd only have been charged €0.0048/kB (€4.92 per mb) - see their call cost page

as well as getting the account provisioned for ISP access, he'll have to change the settings on his phone to use the ISP APN instead of the WAP one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

1huge1 wrote: »
    3 may have some things to sort out but they are far from crap, easily the best network in ireland

The Walled Garden, Bad Coverage and abysmal customer services.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are only very small bits of wall around their garden blocking a few particular applications, the coverage is fantastic everywhere I've been with the phone except for way out in the bog but that then failed over to the Vodafone connection and I was still able to get online even if it was then slow.

I'll let you have the poor customer service point though.

Edit: forgot about one of the main plus points for me. Calls to and from the UK are included in your minutes as is data whilst roaming there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

1huge1 wrote: »

webpage blocking
    port blocking

robinph wrote: »
    There are only very small bits of wall around their garden blocking a few particular applications, the coverage is fantastic everywhere I've been with the phone except for way out in the bog but that then failed over to the Vodafone connection and I was still able to get online even if it was then slow.

Edit: forgot about one of the main plus points for me. Calls to and from the UK are included in your minutes as is data whilst roaming there.

any application that uses non standard ports is blocked.
    If fact I have seen that only port 80/443 (http/s) is open for me. I have heard some people say that the default pop and smtp ports are open, but for me they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

webpage blocking
    port blocking

No blocked port on 3pay here, smtp, pop, streaming over any port works fine, streaming via rte (radio and tv) works fine. Get onto them and try to escalate the case to the technical team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Vodafone may block some sites as well.

Using Vodafone Live as an APN (Vodafone ISP isn't eligible to be used with a date bundle it seems) i can't access Google or some forum based websites. The browser redirects to a Vodafone address with "access denied" displayed at the top.

flodis79 wrote: »
    No blocked port on 3pay here, smtp, pop, streaming over any port works fine, streaming via rte (radio and tv) works fine. Get onto them and try to escalate the case to the technical team.

I tried that several times, but it never gets anywhere. They always say they'll get back to me within 24 hours with an update to the problem, but never do.

Other ports/apps blocked for me are telnet/ssh/ftp.
    Gmail Chat (5222). The official Windows Messenger also does not work, only the one make for 3 will connect.

Spodtronic, fring and IRC do no longer connect.
    All this used to work about 3 months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

there is no walled garden except some people are reporting port blocking and some aren't. it seems to be a technical issue rather than a policy one

the 3g coverage is fine anywhere i've been and the 2g picks up everywhere else. i've rarely had coverage problems tbh

the customer care is reason enough not to go with them. you don't have to pretend they have bad coverage and a walled garden :)

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

Couldnt of put it better myself, so many people talking about 3 and don't have a clue

they have the BEST coverage in Ireland as they have more 3G coverage than any other network and go onto vodafones 2/2.5g network when not in 3G coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Can anybody confirm, if I access the internet using a wlan on a Nokia E65 are there any charges imposed. I can't see how there could be but you never know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

masterK wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm, if I access the internet using a wlan on a Nokia E65 are there any charges imposed. I can't see how there could be but you never know.
    No charges, totally free to use the wifi unless you have to pay to access the actual hotspot. No charges from Three though.

masterK wrote: »
    Nope just change your connection setting to wifi and connect to the hotspot or wherever and away you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I changed to 3 for their internet services and am very happy with them. I have the x-series add on with a e65 and it's great. I have a friend on O2 with a similar package but she pays a lot more than I do.

The customer care is annoying but they aren't really that bad. They're far more likely to refund/credit your account for hassle than any other network in my experience.

Advertisement