Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A problem with lock nuts..Might be worth thinking about.

Options
  • 13-12-2007 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the thread I had about the damaged alloy I posted a few weeks ago?.

Just a quick reminder. I had to have the brakes done on my car (Skoda Octavia) and the locknut was damaged in the wheel and had to be removed in the dealers garage..

Well up to date, everything was sorted. However yesterday I had a puncture on the opposite wheel, went to change it and that locknut was damaged too. I had to call the AA out to the house.

Long story cut short, and here's why I thought I'd pass this along here.

The AA chap couldn't remove the nut and neither could the dealers yesterday evening. So the car has to go in tomorrow to have it removed (I should say at this point that the AA guy repaired the puncture so I could drive the car to the dealers.

The AA lad advised me to have all the locknuts on the car replaced and said there was an issue with them on all Skoda, Audi, VW & BWM and advises everyone to replace them as this fault is a regular occurance to the AA.

I told the dealer this, and he agreed that there is problems with the manufacture standards of these parts and advised the same!!.

Just thought I'd pass this one along to all the Audi, BWM, VW & Skoda owners here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

thanks for the heads up,

i have the same car and its in the garage now, so ill get them to check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any idea what brand they are? I had McGard aftermarket locks on my Passat when I had it. My lock nut key got damaged and it was a nightmare. Car was in for a crash repair in the middle of ordering a new one from Germany. Panel beater just had to work around the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

One of the locknuts on my BM also packed in one day, thankfully i was at home and was only taking off the wheel to paint the caliper, had to drill the fecker out..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Lads,
    Know how you all feel - im in the same poxy situation at the moment.
    Lost the locking nut adaptor - drove off and left it on the ground or left it on the nut the wheel and drove off.
    So went to try and order a new adaptor from the company - cant get in contact with them - seems as though they are out of business!
    Stuck now with the spare on the car and 3 alloys that i cant remove either!!
    Not a happy camper :mad:

There was a firm posted up here a few months back that would remove lock nuts by force. Maybe Google it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Can you remember off hand if the charge was expensive for the call out??

Ive googled locking nut remover - and have seen an impressive impact reverse thread driver - looks like it would do the trick, but looks like a professional piece of equipment - althought i could use it - looks very expensive

I don't think it was a callout service. It was a premises out by the Red Cow I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I'm back, and pi$$ed off.

I left the car in this morning, got it back 30 minutes later, fixed!.

But the other day I was given the impression that this would be done under warrenty as it was a common problem with these car's.

Well I was presented with a bill of €61- :eek:

I argued about it, but was informed that this nut was a ''servicable part'' and not covered under the warrenty!.

So its off to to email Skoda Ireland and see if I can get a refund through these.

I've had all four lock nuts replaced with just the ordinary nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Funny that this should come up - I am having a nightmare with my lock nuts at the moment.

Sent the car into the garage to get some work done, got it back; noticed the lock nut key was missing from the tool kit in the back - returned to garage, they say there was no reason why they would have taken the wheel off... fair enough maybe, but where is my fuggin key then!?!!

I reckon they did take the wheel off cause there was a hand print in the brake dust; and maybe left it in the nut and it got lost when I drove off.

So queue me getting pissed off, leaving the garage before I started smashing things and thinking that I would fix it myself.

Bought a lock nut remover socket; basically a socket with a left hand thread; and a new set of lock nuts with two keys. Went out to the car; couldn't get the bolt off; used a bar on the socket wrench; ended up bending the handle, this bolt wasnt moving. thought it was just the socket had threaded too far down and was bearing on the alloy, so I tried to remove one of the standard bolts; couldnt budge one of them either. They've obvisouly been put on with an impact wrench and I have no hope of getting them off... why do I even need a lock nut then? ;)

V. pissed off, not sure where to go/what to do, maybe an independent quick fit tyre place; just went and bought a can of tyre weld cause even if I had the lock nut key I wouldnt be able to get the bolts off anyway. Think I'll just leave it like it is till I need to get a new set of tyres and they can sort the bolts out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Locking wheel nuts are easy enough to remove without the key. Just get a socket set and choose one which is slightly smaller than the nut. Hammer it on and remove with the wrench. I had to do this to my wife's car when I lost the key. I took all the remaining lock nuts off as they were a waste of time and offered no protection. I think they were Trilock and were supplied with the car, a Mazda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement