Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever save smokes money when quitting?

• 13-12-2007 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

just curious if ye ever put your "smokes money" into a jar/whatever when you were quitting, and how much money you ended up with :) Quite an amount, I would guess!

How did ye treat yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Word of warning sir, if you're gonna keep change in a jar either find a friendly shop keeper who'll take it off you or a buy good pair of shoes cause you'll have to queue in your local bank.
    I collected near on a grand after my first year off them :D and got some BOI bags (from a friend) counted it up and headed to my local AIB in Swords (my bank) and joined the queue. When I reached the counter I propped my heavy rucksack up on it and proceded to remove bags of money only to be told I should go to the business counter out back with such a large amount of coins :mad:.
    Here a rather dour, humourless spinster (I can't imagine anyone marrying her) rebuked me for collecting such a large amount of coins and that I had bagged them in BOI bags "You do know this is a AIB branch don't you". She then seemed rather pleased with herself when she pointed out that I had miss counted over 970 euro by 60 cents, yes 60 cents. "Didn't they teach you to count in school" why yes they did I replied amung other things enough in fact to allow me to go to college and not end up working behind a counter counting coins :D.

I now give 25 euro per week to Concern less than half of the amount I reckon I would be spending on smokes, you could if you wished only give around 20 a month minimum (something to do with claiming back tax) I don't miss the money nor do I miss the fags, if I went back on them (will never happen ;)) I don't think I could look at myself in the mirror if I stopped the money to Concern.

Giving up smoking is life changing believe me, I now run and workout. But to be honest the extra money you save is soon swallowed up. Book a pricey holiday now!!! say a couple of grands worth and by the time you go you will have quite literally saved that much by giving up smoking.

I commend you for giving up, the extra money is a nice but the real bonus is how good food tastes (emmm thai green curries) and how much healthier you will be six months from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

as a recent quitter, my missus downloaded a program that counts up how much i have saved since quitting on her laptop.

I saw a grand total of over €200 last weekend when i turned on her laptop, then raced to halfords and purchased that new car radio i had promised myself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭patrickc

ive set up an online savings a/c ans every day i stay off them i transfer 7.45 across, its been tough but have 55 in there already is nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

patrickc wrote: »
    ive set up an online savings a/c ans every day i stay off them i transfer 7.45 across, its been tough but have 55 in there already is nice to see
    Great idea, i'm gonna do the same, i'll be on that Bugatti waiting list in no time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

It took a financial reason for my aunt to quit after 25+ years of smoking. Her husband came home one day and said that the local Macra na Feirme were organising a trip to New York. She sat down at the table and calculated how much she would save if she stopped smoking and quit there and then. She went to New York that year and has been back 3 or 4 times as well as going to mainland Europe several times. Her and her husband were never in a great position finanically before that but she has found that by quitting she has gotten to do a lot of what she wanted. She even bought her own car 2 years ago.

Her husband quit partly for money reasons but it ended up being an emotional one. He decided the new years day after his wife quite that he was going to try too. Their daughter was about 3 at the time and knew that 'daddy smoked' and that 'smoking was bad'. Just before she went to bed she went to him and said that she was so proud of hims for quitting. He said he would have felt awful if he lit another cigarette and hasn't smoked since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭patrickc

Beerlao wrote: »
    Great idea, i'm gonna do the same, i'll be on that Bugatti waiting list in no time :D

have 83 in it now, transferred and extra 7.45 across because 10 days off them and id often smoke 30 a day, it ads up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

cance wrote: »
    as a recent quitter, my missus downloaded a program that counts up how much i have saved since quitting on her laptop.

I saw a grand total of over €200 last weekend when i turned on her laptop, then raced to halfords and purchased that new car radio i had promised myself :p

what program is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

www.stopsmoking.ie is good, it gives you details like this on the homepage...here's mine from about 2 minutes ago.....

Hi NC6000! You quit 1 week, 1 day, 17 hours, 41 minutes & 46 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 218 cigs, saved EUR 81 and added 18.17 hours to your life.

It also remembers you and updates each time you visit unless you use a different PC or clear you history/cookies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

nc6000 wrote: »
    www.stopsmoking.ie is good, it gives you details like this on the homepage...here's mine from about 2 minutes ago.....

Hi NC6000! You quit 1 week, 1 day, 17 hours, 41 minutes & 46 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 218 cigs, saved EUR 81 and added 18.17 hours to your life.

It also remembers you and updates each time you visit unless you use a different PC or clear you history/cookies etc.

:) That's a good idea! And if you save up in a jar & take money out, you don't have to write an IOU, you can look online to see how much should be in the jar! I think I'll log on! :)

Advertisement