Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Games

Options
  • 13-12-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

OK this is probably a bit cheeky but anyway - I won a few xbox games that I don't really want

Def Jam Icon, Tiger 08, Skate and Harry Potter (and Orange Box - which I do want - reason for entering the competition). Anyway they are unopened - still wrapped and have the security strip still on them. I was wondering what the chances are of me bringing these into a game shop and asking to exchanging them for other games!? I would claim that I don't hve the reciept and they are presents or seomthing....

It's either that or trade them in and lose out? Any ideas? Obviously it's screwing the system but they are untouched games and thus could just be resold so my concience is fine with it!

SP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

adverts.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Could be Santa-ish and donate them to the Santa Strike Force?? just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Wait till the chritmas sales and exchange them in as unwanted pressies (easy to explain lack of receipts then). I also wouldn't exchange all of them at once, to the same shop they might be a bit suspiscious. If they are all still in their wrappings, then their shouldn't be any issues then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Wait till the chritmas sales and exchange them in as unwanted pressies (easy to explain lack of receipts then). I also wouldn't exchange all of them at once, to the same shop they might be a bit suspiscious. If they are all still in their wrappings, then their shouldn't be any issues then.

problem with waiting for the sales would be that if they were offering store credit they may only offer the sale price of the game as you've no proof they were bought before christmas ...

I'd say .. go in .. say it was your birthday and you were given two copies of the game by people can you return one its unopened but the person who bought it doesn't have the receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think alot of the shops now scan the barcode to see if it came from there shop.
    Be nice if it works though, I've a sealed copy of Gears of War, Game offered me ~€15 credit for it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ginger wrote: »
    Could be Santa-ish and donate them to the Santa Strike Force?? just a thought
    No pressure! :D

Already donated to the SVP xmas tree thing but if my plan doesn't work I may donte again!

I'll run into gamestop this weekend and try it out - was thinking of the birthday thing alright. I'll let ye know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Unlikely. The barcode will be the same no matter what shop a game is sold in. It is put there by the manufacturer, not the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

You'll only get trade in value, even if it's sealed. It's still second hand to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ebay or adverts your bets bet mate, i wouldnt advise ever trading in games

unless your a lucky gimp like one bloke

game in ilac had a little system crash a while back and heavenly sword was 5 euro on system....couldnt refuse sale so a guy bought one ( he was already buying it) realising the price, he went ahead and bought 20 more

then went across to gaemstop and they offered 25 euro cash for each game

handed in 20 of them

500 euro made....

true story....i was A) present when guy traded them in b) ran over to game to try get some myself but manager was in sorting it out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

i had 2 sealed 360 games (the simpsons & cod4) and tried 2 different xtravisions and smyths in liffey valley and they all offered 30 euro each, chanced my arm in smyths in naas,told them they were bday presents and they said no prob and gave me 140 euro credit, so try more than 1 place you might be lucky...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bring them into HMV, as a former employee can tell you for a fact as long as they're sealed then they'll take them back for exchange against something else without any hassle with no reciept,just wait till after xmas

brought them in today - got €250 for the 4 games. Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

so, technically I could buy two games for 75 in the current deal, bring them seperately to two stores and get 150 euro credit approx?

Don't think so - none of the titles I brought back were in the 2 for €75 categories but then again the girl behind the counter didn't check that (I did) and just scanned in the single price.

In fact I even found one of the games - Harry Potter to be cheaper on the shelf than she gave it to me for. I think the trick was to go to the counter upstairs - well away from anyone with knowledge or games and I aso got lucky that the person serving me was a chick - (no offence to chicks:D)

Advertisement