Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wise man outfit URGENT!!

Options
  • 13-12-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

So my son comes out of school today and anounces he needs a costume for his school play tommorow!! Why he left it til now to tell me is a problem for another day but right now I need help with the outfit. I don't even know what a wise man wears. Wish he was a king that would have been soooo much easier!

Any ideas?? Is it just a teatowel around the head type thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Assuming your son's young the costume should be super simple -

A long white shirt (daddy's would be perfect) with a thick belt. Then, do you have a coloured sheet? Any coloured sheet (dark preferably) that he can drap around his shoulders and tuck into the belt?

In the catholic nativity scenes I grew up with, the wise men always had some sort of crown, but I'd imagine the tea towel will be just fine. Wrap it around his head (remember the early Jews were Arabs)

Gotta love the kids *forgetting* about massive events like this until the day before. :D Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I googled "make your own wiseman costume" and came up with these:-
    Do you have a large robe? The robe can serve as the caftan the Wisemen wore. A pair of sandals will do for footwear.
    A crown can be made out of a paper bag. You may be able to ask Burger King for the crowns they give the kids and use it to trace the crown on the "inside" of the paper bag for your son. He can decorate it on his own and then, staple it closed based on how big your son's head is
    an earth tone sheet draped over the shoulders & fastened with safety pins (full or queen size), and some red ribbon to tie the "magi's robes". A shoe box wrapped in aluminium foil, to represent the gift. Cover a burger king crown in foil. A beard can be made out of braided yarn

Do a search in google but select "images" above the search bar and loads of images of wisemen should come up to give you an idea!

i think they can wear crowns OR turban type things so a tea-towel would prob be fine :D bets of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Big white shirt, tea towel like everyone else mentioned...

I did this to my mother and i was going to be a shepard... fair play to my mum i got s gold star for best costume!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

some great ideas there thanks. Have to go root out some of the old sheets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

I made my little guy a fantastic shepards outfit so that would kind of be the same.

I got a large piece of curtain lining in a drapery shop - folded it in half and cut out square/circle piece for head - i put that over him - it should be long enough to reach down to toes - then i pinned/tacked under his arms took it off and wonderwebbed where the arms would be (make sure the arms are very loose/wide) and thats it.

I also got a set of checked blue teatowles and used of for head and sowed two together for a belt. I picked up a walking stick in a pound shop for E2 and sprayed it gold.

You could make a cardboard crown and spray it gold and maybe get a cheap big gold necklace.

search in google images for a wiseman picture to get more ideas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Isnt it great how kids do that to you:eek:

Mine did the same yesterday have to have it for tomorrow she and angel! So I thought grand white sheet bit of gold tinsel and hey presto....... but no that wouldn't be good enough because all the other angels had proper costumes.... had to run around the shops like a twit to get one:(

Why do parent commercalise everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Basically go for a Yasser Arafat look, then spray on some gold here and there. He'll also need gifts of gold, frankincense and/or myrrh - a box of balled-up tinfoil sprayed gold (both box and foil) will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

well managed to put an outfit together with towels and two old shirts. Did bear a resemblence to osama bin laden though unfortunetly but he was the best wise man ever!!

Advertisement