Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch out for UTV's F-Secure package

Options
  • 13-12-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just writing for a little heads up for those of you with UTV's broadband.

I recently lost my credit card and emailed UTV to change my details. They gave me a name and password to login to my account to do it myself. While I was there I checked my statements. I was paying about €3.50 month for a firewall and virus scanner package. I asked them to cancel it and for a refund because I have never used the service.

I got this response....
    F-secure is an internet security package and all customers are given a 30 day free trial of this service during sign up. During the sign up process you would have had to make the selection to opt out of this service after the free trial. As you did not make this selection you have been charged for the service.

Unfortunately no refund can be issued as the service was there for you to use. However, I have now cancelled this service from your account.
    - Show quoted text -

I really don't like hidden charges. Having to untick a box for a service they know the vast majority of people don't want. Its just sly.Especially because when I logged into my account there is a section to register for it. So they know I never used it.

Anyway this is just a heads up to all you UTV customers. If you have a direct debit or credit card paayment, check your statement online. Make sure you aren't being charged for anything extra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

That sucks. Was this package always available? Or introduced recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I registered in January, So I don't know when t started. I just bet there are alot of others out there like me. So I posted this!

BTW, Like your sig. I'd say Randy is looking to make something about 10 curracks in size !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eircom do the same for a virus scanner. Only after noticing last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Where does this virus scanner operate then? Is it software you have to install on your PC or does it operate on their servers, and you pay them to scan everything going through to you?

jor el wrote: »
    Where does this virus scanner operate then? Is it software you have to install on your PC or does it operate on their servers, and you pay them to scan everything going through to you?

I don't know, I never used it. I'm guessing when someone goes into their account you click on the register button and it probably gives you a link to download along with a serial number.

I found a page about it on their website

http://u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/internet_security.asp

Its definitely something that runs on your pc. I seriously hate hidden charges. I know I should have read closer but they know I never used the service :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

If it's a service, it should be on a server and if you get a breach they should pay you compensation. What it sounds like is the ISP selling subscription licenses to security product. Great for them, awful for you as you can get these free from reputable sources like AVG, comodo, zonealarm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I used it for a while.

Found it to be woegeous. A complete resource hog.

Got rid of it in the end.

Onikage wrote: »
    If it's a service, it should be on a server and if you get a breach they should pay you compensation. What it sounds like is the ISP selling subscription licenses to security product. Great for them, awful for you as you can get these free from reputable sources like AVG, comodo, zonealarm etc.

I think its just a program, thats it. It lists the specs required on their site.

* Processor:
    Minimum Intel Pentium 600 MHz
    * Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
    Not compatible with Macs
    * Memory:
    Windows 98/ME - Minimum 128 MB RAM
    Windows 2000/XP - Minimum 256 MB RAM
    * Disk Space:
    Maximum 320 MB during installation
    Browser: Minimum Internet Explorer 5.0
    CD-ROM and Internet connection

I'm really just not happy with them, I feel cheated. Wish Smart were in my area, I'd move in a heartbeat.

Advertisement