Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic Men

• 13-12-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Whats the most romantic thing a guy has ever said to you or ever done for you.

Sometimes its the smallest things that are the most romantic.

For instance, years ago me and the hubby ( then boyfriend) used to love 'The Fast Show' and there was a sketch on the show about an australian invention tv show and the inventions were always crap and the presenter used to say in and australian accent "Get off my show"

So we used to always say that to each other as a joke.

Well then my hubby (then boyfriend) sent me a card and in it was written.

"Never get off my show"

And I know it sounds corny but that to me was the most romantic thing ever said to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

My current boyf made me a treasure hunt last New Years eve at midnight for my birthday. All the clues had something written in them about an aspect of my personality. It was quite lovely!

Also, my last boyf made me "The Cutetionary". It was an A-Z picture book of cute animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

They sound really lovely gestures... so romance is still alive then

MLE wrote: »
    They sound really lovely gestures... so romance is still alive then

Seems to be for me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

ah glasso be nice.

I'm trying to think...

Probably kissing me under the eiffle tower...

but he made me melt the other day when he sujested gettingg a family photo of us (Himself my daughter not his(he doesn't have kids) and me) It just makes me want to cry even thinking about it...

glasso wrote: »
    to be honest that sounds way too metro and a bit sad IMO.

Well I like cute animals and he liked to make me happy. It's not metro imo. Maybe if he "aww"ed at cute animals and made the book for himself it would be but it was for me so...

Also, it was mostly a bit of a joke tbh! It wasn't like a very serious gesture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

LadyJ wrote: »
    My current boyf made me a treasure hunt last New Years eve at midnight for my birthday. All the clues had something written in them about an aspect of my personality. It was quite lovely!

Awww, I'm so gonna slag the crap out of him the next time I see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

When he cried after both my labours, and told me that I was a wonderful person and had given him the best thing in the world (meaning his children).

I thought that was lovely.....

I once told my girlfriend to pack a weekend bag for a hot climate and met her at the airport for a surprise trip away. We were going to Iceland....

Who says Irish men aren't romantic :)

Lol, I hope you gave her your credit card to buy some suitable attire! Now that would be romance! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I once told my girlfriend to pack a weekend bag for a hot climate and met her at the airport for a surprise trip away. We were going to Iceland....

Who says Irish men aren't romantic :)

that is nice , but also mean sure wouldnt she not be frezzing in her "hot climate" clothes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

The nicest thing my hubby bought me for Christmas is a book I had wanted to read - The Client - it was coming on telly and I had said I would love to read it first. Couldn't believe he had actually listened ;)

He then went a step further :cool: and had the decency to have an argument with me :D so I could read it while we were not talking (2 whole days :rolleyes:) I thought "how considerate of him" :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The most romantic thing that my husband ever did for me was cry begging me to live when I was on the verge of death, I heard him and came back from the edge. He has also proposed to me on the top of the eiffel tower, got me a huge teddy bear for our first Christmas even though we were only going out a month and a half...he has done so many things and he is truely a wonderful romantic man who I adore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

He was 15, I was 13, he liked me but I didn't like him, he bought me a very pretty necklace from a jewellers for Christmas, very sweet of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Just on the topic of romanitc men (your stories making me jealous) - how does one try to get some one to be romantic?

Been with the boyf for nearly 2 yrs and i do love him but he's not the most romantic - generous pracitcal but not overly romantic. Me being soppy i'd love a small bit of romance every so often but dunno what to do? do i just accept him for the way he is?

Just tell him! I told my husband that I liked him sending me romantic texts and emails and he started sending them - I got a few today that just made my heart melt! Men are stupid when it comes to romance, you have to let them know what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

CathyMoran wrote: »
    The most romantic thing that my husband ever did for me was cry begging me to live when I was on the verge of death, I heard him and came back from the edge.

That just made me ball my eyes out. I'll be weepy all night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Now i would take exception to ALL men being stupid when it comes to romance. From the sound of it from here, there are plenty of us out there! (Well a good few anyway! ;))

I think its important for a couple to get to know what the other person likes/considers romantic so that you can focus your energies on that. And vice versa of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

i tried but sadly it just seemed forced. I'll try again with little hints!

god i sound a bit ungrateful but i'm not.

Maybe if you are romantic with him he will reciprocate - I send my husband romantic mails during the day and he reciprocates, it makes me feel really loved throughout the day. He also picks up when I am having a bad day and tries to chear me up. I really have a great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My boyfriend is a total sweetie. During the summer when we first got together, he'd walk me home every night from wherever we were and walk back up the big hill to his house, and not get in til about 3am and had to be up again at 6am to paint with his dad! Bless him, little trooper.

One time he walked down in the rain just to call to me after my late shift in the pub I was working in. And he came all the way into town just to meet me for a half hour before my lecture.

He got me a lovely promise ring I wanted for our first anniversary (even though he was a broke student)

Wrote me really sweet letters and sends lovely texts and makes me cards... Recently he caught me completely off guard with a diamond necklace for my Graduation present.

He's always there for me when I'm in my hour of need... Yea, I'm going to marry that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

34wks pregnant, I had severe oedema. SPD, pre-eclampsia, etc, etc - a complete state & was lying in theatre having an emergency section...cue lots of gore & my husband tells me "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met - thank you for being my wife"....bless him! :):o

• Advertisement

34wks pregnant, I had severe oedema. SPD, pre-eclampsia, etc, etc - a complete state & was lying in theatre having an emergency section...cue lots of gore & my husband tells me "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met - thank you for being my wife"....bless him! :):o
    Well when I was being sectioned my hubby WAS holding my hand, but the only 'romantic' thing he could think of to say was 'Thanks be to **** I'm a man' and he proceeded to say it through the deliveries of the next and the next and the next..............:rolleyes:

He also fell asleep at the first picture we ever went to see together - GHOST - but it was alright cos while he was snoring PATRICK SWAYZEE was looking at me :):)

AND I still married him ;):p

Lol, I always remember it because it was so uncharacteristically sweet! :rolleyes::)

Lol, I always remember it because it was so uncharacteristically sweet! :rolleyes::)
    yeah. they have a habit of redeeming themselves at the most unusual times haha - wouldn't swap him for the world :rolleyes:

He nearly passed out with our second so I still have my suspicions that he was at the pethidine or morphine or something! :D

He nearly passed out with our second so I still have my suspicions that he was at the pethidine or morphine or something! :D
    It was probably BOTH lol

:):):):)

Yeah, prob was! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Quality wrote: »
    When he cried after both my labours, and told me that I was a wonderful person and had given him the best thing in the world (meaning his children).

I thought that was lovely.....

A male trainee ambulance driver who was there to witness my daughters birth cried the whole way through it.....we didn't know each other! It wasn't romantic! Blubbering fool, and myself, not a tear!

My ex told me (when we knew we were splitting up a couple of weeks later - I was moving away etc.) that James Blunt "goodbye my lover" could be "our song" after we split up. The song still gets to me!! Romantic? Not quite sure.....after I'd made the move, he was constantly on the phone, and leading me to believe that he was going to move to where I'd moved and make a go of it (if that's what I was sure I wanted, because he was sure but needed to be sure that I was sure???) because he missed me so much. blah blah fkn blah. I missed him too but said very little...didn't fully trust him I suppose......One night he rang me from the pub begging me to drive (2 hours away) and pick him up because he loved and missed me so much. I hung up. Text him (feeling guilty) a few hours later saying I loved him aswell and missed him but he could ring me for a chat about it when he sobered up etc. Anyways, what was his ex (who he couldn't stand supposedly as she was so dull and boring and lifeless and hated sex and moan moan moan) when we were together, rang me the next day, "why are you texting my boyfriend telling him that you love him" etc.....seems he'd been living with her (fast mover) as soon as I'd left and they were now planning a family - they're since engaged and have a baby daughter :eek:

Bassstard! :(

(and he had the cheek to text me a few weeks after the baby was born saying he was bored and would love to meet up with me for a weekend!) :mad:

Ok - this is supposed to be a nice romantic thread - sorry ladies! I suppose, some of my experiences have killed alot of the romance I once had inside! can't even remember the good times now.

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    A male trainee ambulance driver who was there to witness my daughters birth cried the whole way through it.....we didn't know each other! It wasn't romantic! Blubbering fool, and myself, not a tear!

My ex told me (when we knew we were splitting up a couple of weeks later - I was moving away etc.) that James Blunt "goodbye my lover" could be "our song" after we split up. The song still gets to me!! Romantic? Not quite sure.....after I'd made the move, he was constantly on the phone, and leading me to believe that he was going to move to where I'd moved and make a go of it (if that's what I was sure I wanted, because he was sure but needed to be sure that I was sure???) because he missed me so much. blah blah fkn blah. I missed him too but said very little...didn't fully trust him I suppose......One night he rang me from the pub begging me to drive (2 hours away) and pick him up because he loved and missed me so much. I hung up. Text him (feeling guilty) a few hours later saying I loved him aswell and missed him but he could ring me for a chat about it when he sobered up etc. Anyways, what was his ex (who he couldn't stand supposedly as she was so dull and boring and lifeless and hated sex and moan moan moan) when we were together, rang me the next day, "why are you texting my boyfriend telling him that you love him" etc.....seems he'd been living with her (fast mover) as soon as I'd left and they were now planning a family - they're since engaged and have a baby daughter :eek:

Bassstard! :(

(and he had the cheek to text me a few weeks after the baby was born saying he was bored and would love to meet up with me for a weekend!) :mad:

Ok - this is supposed to be a nice romantic thread - sorry ladies! I suppose, some of my experiences have killed alot of the romance I once had inside! can't even remember the good times now.
    sounds like your romance is still to come........your def better off out of that one......:) keep smiling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Pfft! We are not built to be romantic or whatever you females call it. We are here to hunt,kill,eat,crap, shag than veg out on the couch. Thats about it.

Keep your ideas of the perfect male to yourselves and settle before its too late!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

He looked me in the eyes for the longest time, touched his hand to my cheek, took a deep breath and said, "For as long as you remember me, I shall be."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement