Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Sat Nav

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

Apologies to ROVER... I didn't see your post before I started a new thread on the same subject :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18 divjoy

Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

divjoy wrote: »
    Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra Lidl GPS same as Binatone Carerra

Ok I hear you but just because you keep repeating it doesn't necessarily make it so :rolleyes:

Let's look at both models:

Binatone - 324 MHz processor Atlas II / Lidl Sivercrest unit - 400 MHz Sirf
    Binatone - no Bluetooth / Lidl unit - Bluetooth
    Binatone - no FM transmitter / Lidl unit - FM transmitter
    Binatone - what map type / Lidl unit - Navteq
    Binatone 126.5 x 90.5 x 22 mm / Lidl unit 127 x 79 x 19 mm

Screen presentation looks similar on both units for sure but as an overall package the Silvercrest unit has a lot more features. If they had published the manual on their website it would have been a lot easier to delve into the specs and make a fair comparison to the TomTom 720 which has similar features but allegedly crap maps for Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

fat-tony wrote: »
    comparison to the TomTom 720 which has similar features but allegedly crap maps for Ireland....

Not allegedly. I just got a TT720 and the maps are awful in rural areas, seem OK in towns but outside not good. No townlands, lot's of unknown or unnamed roads. Car shown driving off the road etc. Updated using the latest map guarantee but not much improvement so Using an older Navteq map now and it's far superior.

mossie wrote: »
    Not allegedly. I just got a TT720 and the maps are awful in rural areas, seem OK in towns but outside not good. No townlands, lot's of unknown or unnamed roads. Car shown driving off the road etc. Updated using the latest map guarantee but not much improvement so Using an older Navteq map now and it's far superior.
    Was hoping you wouldn't confirm my worst fears:eek:
    I'm waiting on the postie to deliver a 720 from dabs.ie
    Maybe I'll just buy the Lidl unit tomorrow and return the 720 to dabs:confused:

• Advertisement

Was hoping you wouldn't confirm my worst fears:eek:
    I'm waiting on the postie to deliver a 720 from dabs.ie
    Maybe I'll just buy the Lidl unit tomorrow and return the 720 to dabs:confused:

I got on to TomTom and they just gave me a story about it all being the local authorities fault the maps are bad. Nothing about their quality control which should have checked they were of equal quality with past maps.

If you use Google Earth / Google Maps for my locale - Greystones / Delgany in Wicklow, you will find that the copyright on them is TeleAtlas. There is a road from Delgany which goes west, passes under the N11 at a place called Barry's Bridge and then disappears on the map:( This road has been in existence for years and is present on the Navteq maps (see Mapquest on the web). The Google sat picture clearly shows the line of the road but the road overlay just stops just after the bridge. This may be the fault of info supplied to TeleAtlas, but I doubt if the Ordnance Survey would be responsible for the error - how come Navteq have it right?

Anyone have any info on how the mapping data is passed to TeleAtlas, Navteq etc?

Anyone have any info on how the mapping data is passed to TeleAtlas, Navteq etc?

No idea, but I would imagine that all map providers get the same info from the local authorities.

Advertisement