Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4k for crashing into an audi......

Options
  • 13-12-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

right lads

I know this lady and she had the misfortune of driving the front of her car into an audi, i think it was a 02 model, she was quoted 4k for this, I saw her bumper and it got just minor scratches. The door of the damaged car I never saw, but they told her they wanted it repaired like new, which is fair enough, I was just suspicious of the cost, it seemed alot for just a door?

also she just has a prov licence and a L plate on the back.

so, what is the consensus of this? Im no panel beater and I know it costs alot, but seems like 4grand is loads for this, would her prov licence go against her?

this happened out of dublin also in case anyone wondered of costs of labour.

cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

legs11 wrote: »
    right lads

I know this lady and she had the misfortune of driving the front of her car into an audi, i think it was a 02 model, she was quoted 4k for this, I saw her bumper and it got just minor scratches. The door of the damaged car I never saw, but they told her they wanted it repaired like new, which is fair enough, I was just suspicious of the cost, it seemed alot for just a door?

also she just has a prov licence and a L plate on the back.

so, what is the consensus of this? Im no panel beater and I know it costs alot, but seems like 4grand is loads for this, would her prov licence go against her?

this happened out of dublin also in case anyone wondered of costs of labour.

cheers:D

Did she hit the side or the back of the Audi??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

The owner of the audi can have the car repaired where ever she wants and at those prices it sounds like an audi main dealer $$$.
    Once the insurance companies agree on the cost there is very little your friend can do.
    If your friends insurance company feels the cost is excessive they can contest it but this rarely happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

the side, as far as i remember, a door.

looking at her car it was the front bumper passengers side which was marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Provisional licence makes no difference. If she's insured, then the claimer is going to be dealing with the insurance company and they don't care if she's provisional, driving on her own, or whatever. That was my experience in a minor crash that did 2K of damage.

Question to ask is, if it were 2K would it make any difference? If the insurance is going to pay for it, it makes no difference to her no claims bonus whether it is 1K or 4K.

I would suspect an Audi door, electronics, etc and maybe some minor structural damage, bending around the door, hinges, or whatever, could mount up with labour on top. She could ask for a detailed report and quote, but is it worth the hassle. Just palm it off to the insurance company, take the hit on the premium, and put it to the back of her memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Know someone who did damage to both doors on an Octavia.
    Doors couldnt be panel beaten as the skin of the door was damaged worst right along the side impact bars - was told it would be cheaper and quicker to replace both doors
    Think he got quoted 2k for the doors - then labour?
    So if the other door on the same side got damaged also - sounds about right, especially if the victim wants the paint a perfect match!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

"an Audi", could have been an A2, could have been an S8, price difference is close to €100k on each new so repair costs will vary I would imagine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

A backstreet panel beater could ***k right off away from my car. Main dealer only.

If someone hits your car, they should pay to get it back to exactly the same state it was before, ie new.
    It doesnt affect your mate anyway. No claims bonus is a no claims bonus. Shouldnt matter if the claim is for 1,000 or 100,000. Costs her the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If she hit the side of the car, the visible damage might have been superficial but there could be axel damage. The happend to my A3 when I was hit by a van with a bullbar. The damage to the body wasn't too bad and easily fixed in the bodyshop.

Of course, because I was in the right, I took it to my Audi dealer. As the person who is crashed into, why should I settle for a "cheap" repair to suit the other party?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a 2nd opinion. Her own panel beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd presume the concern over price is an attempt to avoid letting the insurance company know about it? Depending on how quickly she's likely to pass the test, even 2K *could* be more than the NCB loss would ever be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement