Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Rated and Under Rated Pubs

Options
  • 13-12-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Any opinions?
    Over rated.....Charlies, Smyths, Old Quarter, Trinity Rooms
    Under rated...Still House, P.A Martins, Bentleys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Any opinions?

Not sure where you are coming from here.Who has over or under rated these or any other pubs?All I can really say is that I've never been to Trinity Rooms or Bentleys and I hate Charlies and The Old Quarter.Smyths can be alright.The Still House from memory(Last time I was there was about 7 years ago) could be really good at times but depended on who was behind the bar.I got sick in the end of putting up with ignorant staff.Martins ok but nothing to be getting too excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Any opinions?

charlies no
    smyths not for lunch
    old quarter same as above
    trinners underrated

still house yes
    martins no
    bentleys yes

may i add tom and jerrys to underrated list???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bentleys
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Is P.A. Martin's the one across the road from the old Dunnes beside the TSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

I find Riddlers fairly under rated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Still House is the only one I would go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nancy Blakes is/was very overrated. On busy nights you get a crowd that resembles a can of sardines, all crammed together. Plus the music, atmo etc is nothing special.

The Old Quarter is another that people make out to be a great pub. It is average at best.

The Still House is one that gets overlooked imho, Quins was very underrated in it's time but alas it is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

is the brazen head/bentlys still a late bar?

i agree with riddlers being underrated, nice spot

i also agree with what was said about the still house. nice spot but some of the staff are complete arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

i am surprised at the hostility here twoards still house staff...?
    The lad with the long hair, spurs fan seems a good fella, the chubby guy with the beard seems amiable enough too. Never had a bad staff experience in there (and i am an everton fan!!!) but the smell from downstairs whtn the staff leave the door open is a killer!
    But still, all in all a great spot andd as yet undiscovered which is great if u ask me. Long may it stay that way

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cant stand the still house tbh, nancys is ok on a quiet night early in the evening but at weekends forget it takes forever to get to the bar and theres far too many people wearing tommy hilfiger and deck shoes for my liking

i miss the high stool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

krudler wrote: »
    cant stand the still house tbh, nancys is ok on a quiet night early in the evening but at weekends forget it takes forever to get to the bar and theres far too many people wearing tommy hilfiger and deck shoes for my liking

i miss the high stool

+1 on that score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The new Flannereys is nice but the way the jacks are downstairs is a pain in the hole.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Last time I was in the Still House I had my nose broken. :(:mad::(

sometimes the staff in the still house can tend to ignore people. fair play to them for handing out the grub during matches though! its nice to see pubs doing that.

Just a question here, is there a pub going into thomond park, or is hassests being re-opened as a pub, they would be a goldmine, students in L.I.T. have been crying out for a bar for years, even more of a goldmie now seeing as the davin is closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

RINO87 wrote: »
    sometimes the staff in the still house can tend to ignore people. fair play to them for handing out the grub during matches though! its nice to see pubs doing that.

Just a question here, is there a pub going into thomond park, or is hassests being re-opened as a pub, they would be a goldmine, students in L.I.T. have been crying out for a bar for years, even more of a goldmie now seeing as the davin is closing.

I can't imagine L.I.T. want the security hassles that might come with opening a pub so near Moyross. I agree it would be a goldmine, but only if it was done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

Rino

"Just a question here, is there a pub going into thomond park, or is hassests being re-opened as a pub, they would be a goldmine, students in L.I.T. have been crying out for a bar for years, even more of a goldmie now seeing as the davin is closing."

Man are u mad?? Students in Hatchets/Hassets! Was never a student friendly place! When i went to LIT we drank in Shannon RC/Davin/CountyClub
    Went in to Hatchets ONCE and were quietly informed it was not a student bar......:o

yeah i just assumed the new owners would really do a good job on security, i mean if theres a bar going into thomond wont they have the same problems??

Just go to Quilty's :D

When i went to LIT we drank in Shannon RC/Davin/CountyClub
    Went in to Hatchets ONCE and were quietly informed it was not a student bar......:o

Hassets wasn't that bad drank there a few times in LIT. But all the above pubs are closed or closing so I think there is a huge need for a student friendly pub on the north side.

Hmmm Quiltys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Thought there was a big sold sign outside Hassets recently as a development site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was in Slattery's Edward St. last night. Like stepping backwards in time. I loved the place.

Hassetts is being turned into apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I used to love Tom Collins's on Cecil St when I was in college many moons ago - real authentic old style pub gorgeous pint of Guinness - is it still there? Please don't tell me they turned it into a Superpub!

Tom Collins is still the safe Guinness filled haven it always was.

Henry you have found a Jewel in Limerick Slattery's really is a unique place love it there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

sioda wrote: »
    Tom Collins is still the safe Guinness filled haven it always was.

Henry you have found a Jewel in Limerick Slattery's really is a unique place love it there

Slattery's is a great pub, one of the oldest in Limerick.

Smyths is my least favourite pub, bad bouncers, terrible drink and staff who ignore you.

Have to say I like smyths during the day the Heino is usually good and its nice and quiet for paper reading :D

went to smyths for lunch today, lovely food and lots of it!

the guinness was a disaster though, but then i expected it to be! Seems to be nice enough during the day, hate the place at nite.

where would i find slattery's (still havent got most of the street names, after three years!)
    looks like i'll have to give it a go!

Come out of the station and turn left up by the park its the first pub on the left after the new apartments you get to wolfetone street youve gone too far

sound! come to think of it, ive probobly driven past it most days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

First of all I dont like smyths but the bouncers are good. I worked there before and there was hardly ever trouble and when ther was it was taken care of quickly and tidily

Advertisement