Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live 95 fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

snyper wrote: »
    oh this thread is sooo getting emailed to my sister Anne Marie!!

She produces the current affairs show after 10am and presents a show late on fridays!!!!!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaaa!!

Maybe she could pass it onto the "powers that be".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I get the impression that it's not really their fault that they are so awful. It strikes me that they are self-aware enough to know that they are awful, but they are stuck in a stalemate of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive emailed this to all the staff at live 95 thats on my email list...

Hope it makes interesting reading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

....... i'd say you should expect an MCD style reply, "no more sayin' we're crap or we'll sue ya so we will!!!"

shoite, does this mean i'm in trouble with MCD now???
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

i stick to gerry ryan and joe duffy. not too much music, although g ryan does tend to overplay u2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

LOL.. no i doubt they will be any trouble :D

Ppl are entitled to their opinion.

They dont change because the figures show that they are one of the most listened to Independent regional radio stations in the country.

So, obv they appeal to somone,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Dive 95fm....oh my god, where to start, you could write a book on how bad a radio station it is. Here's the lowdown.....

WEEKDAY SCHEDULE:
    Breakfast Show with the 2 clowns 7-9am: Kids embarrasing themselves and their families while screaming down the phone, a boisterous Cockney who's attempts at being funny are cringe-worthy and a woman who's high pitched voice at 8 in the morning is as annoying as it is loud. Awful repetitive music. Together they make up the most annoying duo since Tom and Pascal.

Limerick Today with Ed Myers: As monotonous as it sounds. Myers does interviews with 'John from Tegasc' about how farmers can ''get the best out of a bad summer''. Or Mike from Pallaskenry about the local sewage scheme. Riveting stuff i'm sure you'll agree! The man is far too serious, rarely is there an argument on the show, and even more rarely are people allowed on the air to comment on certain issues. Better than any sleeping tablet for those insomniacs out there.
    Hint: Listen to Neil Prendiville on Cork's 96fm if you want to know what makes for an entertaining morning talk show.

Electric Lunch with Declan Copus 11am-2pm: The funny thing is, somebody in the radio station probably tells him that he is actually funny. A rather obvious repetitive ''mix'' of music. No, you're not having deja vu, he did play that song yesterday, and the day before that. And when he plays an oldie, its just one he borrowed from his Oldies and Irish archive on Sunday mornings. The man can't even bother to look for something original. How bland!

Gary Connor 2-5pm: As a dj, this guy is actually not bad. However with the competitions he does, when all the skanks ring in, you just feel sorry for him. And yourself for having to listen to it. Music, see above.

Drivetime with JP Er, alright, er, alright! Do you see a pattern? Yes its the dj who struggles to put a sentence together, surely he should be working in Dell or something (no offence to Dell employees). Again like Copus, he tries to be funny but it just doesn't work. Plays 'Menduka' by Sinead O'Connor every day without fail as well as the other old reliables. Enough to make you want to drive off the road on your way home listening to him.

Paul Prenderville
    Most wanted 8-10pm: A chance for Jacinta from Garryowen and Anthony from d'Island to request Rihanna's Umbrella. Not so much the people's most wanted, as the stations set playlist. Change the record please.
    Late Night Love 10pm-12am It would be funny if it wasn't so cringe-inducingly ridiculous. Just what kind of idiots actually write into that show? The music - see above.

SATURDAY
    In The County 7-10am with John Predergast: Shock, horror! A show on 95fm which actually is not bad! Unbelievable! Its informative (for county folk), if a little pro-longed at times. John's a nice guy you know! :)

Saturday Sports Show 10-11am:Keep Len Dineen off this show! Jesus, as much as i like the oval ball game, there are other sports than rugby man! Bearable when Leonard Whatshisname is presenting.

The Hot Mix 6pm-12am: Repitition Repitition Repitition. Weekend after weekend after weekend. Stop with the jingles at the end or middle of songs, they're pathetic.

SUNDAY
    Greatest Hits & The Best Of Irish 10am-2pm: Same old tripe every Sunday with the same lame jokes from yes you've guessed it, Mr Copus.

Davin Toomey 2-5.30pm He should have stayed with West Limerick 102, where his creative talents weren't stifled. Unfortunately, he comes across as bad as the rest of them, which is a pity, becos he really is a decent disc spinner.

Country with Larry McLoughlin 6-8pm: Sweet devine, if i wanted to listen to a man talk through his nose i could listen to a Steve Staunton interview on You Tube. Six hours ahead of Nashville, six years behind every other radio station.

Limerick Green & Live 8-10pm: One of the few good shows the station broadcasts. Mike Knightson knows his stuff and if you're into all that alternative rock or indy stuff, you'll like it.

Easy Listening with Len Dineen 10pm-12am: Surely the title is ironic, no? A show for the oldies, and a perfect time for Len to be on air, when nobody is listening.

[END OF RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I have not listened to the Radio since the days of Atlantic Radio 252!
    The Radio is often on in our house in the background but
    the only time I have ever listened to it was for the news.

Being into all the old weird bands they play Zero music I like

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A chance for Jacinta from Garryowen and Anthony from d'Island to request Rihanna's Umbrella. Not so much the people's most wanted, as the stations set playlist. Change the record please.
    Hehe.... cruel :)

Grenache - for someone who hates the channel, you know an AWFUL lot about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

I've been working on the radio since 2001, I work with West Limerick 102 I know Davin Toomey who went to 95fm along with Gillian Devlin (news) Davin had way more freedom on west Limerick he doesn't sound himself on 95fm at all.
    The best thing about independent/community radio is there are no play lists so I play what I like and what the listeners ask for.

Have a listen in on Wednesdays @ 3.30 - 5 pm for the craic!!

YOU CAN PLEASE SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME, THE REST JUST COME HERE AND WHINGE ABOUT IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 chocoholic

live 95fm is a joke of a radio station. last weekend the "shadow crew" were doing a promotion in the new tesco in coonagh cross. i went up to one of them with the right answer to a question they just called out on the radio. she didn't even acknowledge me and then when a fella came up with the same answer she gave the prize to him! i was furious! it was a total fix. :mad:

Mr E wrote: »
    Hehe.... cruel :)

Grenache - for someone who hates the channel, you know an AWFUL lot about it. :)

Mr E, the company i work for advertises on 95fm, so i'm forced to listen to it at work.
    Its like that film Groundhog Day. A re-occuring nightmare every day :(

roadruner wrote: »
    I've been working on the radio since 2001, I have a show on West Limerick 102 I know Davin Toomey who went to 95fm along with Gillian Devlin (news) Davin had way more freedom on west Limerick he doesn't sound himself on 95fm at all.
    Having worked briefly with both people on WLIM 102 a couple of years back, i can honestly say they're both wasted on 95fm. Gillian is the consumate professional and would have no problem getting a job with any national broadcaster. Davin is also very good at what he does but he's stuck in a rut in his current job. I remember he used to come in with a bag load of his own cd's and he played a good mix of requests and his own stuff. Lots of dance if i remember correctly. Very different on air to what he's like off air. He should be looking towards radio stations like Spin SW for work, he'd be much less curtailed on a station like that.

grenache wrote: »
    Having worked briefly with both people on WLIM 102 a couple of years back, i can honestly say they're both wasted on 95fm. Gillian is the consumate professional and would have no problem getting a job with any national broadcaster. Davin is also very good at what he does but he's stuck in a rut in his current job. I remember he used to come in with a bag load of his own cd's and he played a good mix of requests and his own stuff. Lots of dance if i remember correctly. Very different on air to what he's like off air. He should be looking towards radio stations like Spin SW for work, he'd be much less curtailed on a station like that.

Very true, But I reckon Gillian belongs on TV news.
    Davin is good but the only thing is he tried way too hard when he was on WL doesn't sound relaxed, rushes to get too much in on one breath but i'm not cutting him down.
    They should've kept Ray Fennelly on 95 he is a real pro great in the clubs and on air alas Davin filled his shoes.
    Liam Ahern has gone to 95fm he was on WL102 with sport he knows his stuff and sounds the biz for that area.
    Maybe i'll meet Davin in spin when I join soon along with Ciara evans who went there from WL102
    As for coming in with a bag load of CDs,
    that's the bonus of working in a non playlisted station.

It's all good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Liam Ahern went via Clare FM.

Good to hear that things seem good at West Lim 102.......things have obviously improved since the start-up....

Back then, the people involved with it's predecessor (NCW 103/106) knew more about radio than the expensive "consultants"; no-one knew the schedule or what was on other shows to avoid clashing interviewees and topics; the day of the big launch local people thought Radio Kerry was in town; steering groups were given tasks to do and then over-ruled; ads in the papers for jobs were changed so that there were "jobs for the boys" and applicants were actively discouraged via (possibly illegal) telephone conversations, as the jobs specs had "changed" and "wouldn't suit them" anymore.

Live 95 is not a local station - it's a UTV formula, complete with playlists, schedule, format, etc......that'd be fine if they hadn't a monopoly, and it would have been interesting if Heart's application had become a reality, even better if both were allowed on-air.

That said, there are many things on Live 95 that DO "break the mould" of UTV's identikit approach, with GAA and rugby coverage that isn't on other UTV stations, as well as the fact that Ed Myers, together with the aforementioned Anne-Marie behind the scenes, do a decent show covering the issues affecting Limerick...

As for the folk who would prefer different music - tough. It's true that a single station can't cater for everyone, and that's the BCI's fault, but if there's only one legal local station then either the BCI or the station should ensure that there's at least some programming suitable for each age-group and taste at some stage in the daily schedule....we had that with the pirates (and many of Live 95's staff came from those) but since radio went "legal" and then "local station" became "commercial station", we've lost a lot of what made radio special......

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    as well as the fact that Ed Myers, together with the aforementioned Anne-Marie behind the scenes, do a decent show covering the issues affecting Limerick....
    If by 'decent' you mean boring, inconspicuous and tame, then yes i'd agree with you.
    As for the folk who would prefer different music - tough. It's true that a single station can't cater for everyone,
    Different music? A single station can't cater for everyone? They could at least try! Clare FM, Red FM, Radio Kerry, Tipp FM, etc make a decent effort and all are vastly superior stations when it comes to music variety and presenters. Let me give you an example, Girls Aloud 'Call the Shots' was played SIX times on 95fm today, i'm sorry but that is not variety, its the complete opposite. Listen to any other station and its unlikely you'll hear the same song played six times in one day. Why, unlike any other local station, they seem to play the exact same songs every day i don't know, it woudn't take much work to add some new material to their playlists.

Liam Ahern went via Clare FM.

Good to hear that things seem good at West Lim 102.......things have obviously improved since the start-up....

Back then, the people involved with it's predecessor (NCW 103/106) knew more about radio than the expensive "consultants"; no-one knew the schedule or what was on other shows to avoid clashing interviewees and topics; the day of the big launch local people thought Radio Kerry was in town; steering groups were given tasks to do and then over-ruled; ads in the papers for jobs were changed so that there were "jobs for the boys" and applicants were actively discouraged via (possibly illegal) telephone conversations, as the jobs specs had "changed" and "wouldn't suit them" anymore.

Live 95 is not a local station - it's a UTV formula, complete with playlists, schedule, format, etc......that'd be fine if they hadn't a monopoly, and it would have been interesting if Heart's application had become a reality, even better if both were allowed on-air.

That said, there are many things on Live 95 that DO "break the mould" of UTV's identikit approach, with GAA and rugby coverage that isn't on other UTV stations, as well as the fact that Ed Myers, together with the aforementioned Anne-Marie behind the scenes, do a decent show covering the issues affecting Limerick...

As for the folk who would prefer different music - tough. It's true that a single station can't cater for everyone, and that's the BCI's fault, but if there's only one legal local station then either the BCI or the station should ensure that there's at least some programming suitable for each age-group and taste at some stage in the daily schedule....we had that with the pirates (and many of Live 95's staff came from those) but since radio went "legal" and then "local station" became "commercial station", we've lost a lot of what made radio special......

If Liam Ahern went via Clare FM what was doing with WL 3 weeks before 95?

WL102 is flying along it isn’t the best managed station in the world but it has survived the test and still has it’s avid fans.

95 fm is licensed by The BCI as a Local Radio Service
    Along with
    Regional Radio Service - Spin South West
    Community Radio Service - West Limerick 102
    Institutional Service - Regional Hospital Radio (which can be picked up several miles outside limerick)
    Temporary Licenses - Bohorroe / East Limerick 92.4 MHz
    And of course Mr. Hannon who went digital which is where the rest will head eventually

As for the BCI they do like to keep the talk to music ratio at at least 30% - 40% with every staion where possible.
    There is a variety there but one thing that always gets me is why these stations don't cater for the wee hours, even the nationals repeat shows at night where some just switch off (depending on the systems they use radmation myriad etc) I'd have no problem doing the night shift but they just won't pay to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Like everyone else has said in this thread! Live95fm is utter ****e!! I've turned over the Today FM and 2FM now. They are miles ahead of the crap building that likes to call themselves a radio station!

grenache wrote: »
    Different music? A single station can't cater for everyone? They could at least try! Clare FM, Red FM, Radio Kerry, Tipp FM, etc make a decent effort and all are vastly superior stations when it comes to music variety and presenters.

You've quoted me out of context, grenache.....what I was saying is exactly your point....that they SHOULD try, and yes Clare FM managed to do at least something for more types of listeners and music tastes, while Live 95 don't.

But my point was that it's primarily the BCI's fault, because there's no real competition, and there was a decent alternative proposed, but the BCI renewed the licence anyway.......so why SHOULD they change ??? As long as the powers-that-be are happy, why should UTV worry about the listeners ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 george_bushy

We're all agreed that Limerick 95FM is shoite but at least its not Clare FM. Any station that plays the exact same show from Spin FM cant be good. And all the DJ's must have been born in the 40's...the music is so dated.

• Advertisement

Any station that plays the exact same show from Spin FM cant be good.

Presume you're referring to "Top 40 Oifigul na hEireann" ??? If your opinion is true, then either there are lots of "not good" stations around the country, or else Dusty Rhodes' Digital Audio Productions will be bankrupt in no time.....similar to the Corona Hot Mix and other shows, it's syndicated and available to any station that wants it.
    And all the DJ's must have been born in the 40's...the music is so dated.
    Factually incorrect, unless you maybe meant that they are IN their 40s ? I can name 5 of the regular prime-time presenters that are under 40, and 2 of those are in their 20s.

Clare FM might not be everyone's taste, and almost definitely isn't "all of the time", but in actual fact that's part of its policy and charm.....the fact that there's a huge variety of shows covering completely different types of music - even during the week - means that anyone who just dips in (without listening enough to get the facts and the full picture before commenting) might well assume that the entire schedule is like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd rather listen to Clare FM over Live 95, unless they're playing diddly-eye or country music. I guess there are downsides to having variety...

god bless ray foley on today fm now there's a guy that's worth listening to and fair play to him for finally taking the meteor award off darcy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 fatladysang

They say a picture paints a thousand words but as this is Radio the words will have to do.

MRBI/JNLR Feb '08

The top five local radio stations for the survey period with regards to percentage reach figures were as follows:

Highland Radio 61 (+1);
    Limerick’s Live 95FM 60 (+2);
    Shannonside/Northern Sound 52(-3)
    WLR FM 49 (-2);
    Ocean FM (same) & Midwest Radio (-1) both on 45%.

So Limericks Live 95FM missed out on being the Nations No1 Radio station by 1 % Point.
    Limericks Live 95FM is one of the most respected Radio Stations in the country by people with NO AGENDA.

Just thought this might be of interest to you Gob****e,Commuinty Radio,Wanna- be - DJ's .:D

Go away an learn about Commerical Formatted Radio before you decide to makes posts on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

They say a picture paints a thousand words but as this is Radio the words will have to do.

MRBI/JNLR Feb '08

The top five local radio stations for the survey period with regards to percentage reach figures were as follows:

Highland Radio 61 (+1);
    WLR FM 49 (-2);

So Limericks Live 95FM missed out on being the Nations No1 Radio station by 1 % Point.
    Limericks Live 95FM is one of the most respected Radio Stations in the country by people with NO AGENDA.

Just thought this might be of interest to you Gob****e,Commuinty Radio,Wanna- be - DJ's .:D

Go away an learn about Commerical Formatted Radio before you decide to makes posts on the internet.

oooooooooooooooo,
    did someone have wheat bisks instead of weetabix this morning????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

roadruner wrote: »
    god bless ray foley on today fm now there's a guy that's worth listening to and fair play to him for finally taking the meteor award off darcy!

Which just goes to show you can't please all the people because Ray Foley makes me ears bleed. He's the only Today FM DJ that will make me turn over and his shameless self-pimping for the Meteor award was an embarasment.

Live 95 is grand but being popular doesn't make you good. Highland Radio (or Daniel FM as the locals call it!) is woeful but it's lapped up for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ray foley is an idiot. and his listeners can hurl all the abuse they like at me because of my views on him. I don't give a rats ass.

It is not hard for Live 95FM to be number one when they have a monopoly on local commercial radio in Limerick. When Spin southwest has been running for a ful year you will get a better idea of how well 95FM is doing. although Spin is even ****ter than 95.

Which just goes to show you can't please all the people because Ray Foley makes me ears bleed. He's the only Today FM DJ that will make me turn over and his shameless self-pimping for the Meteor award was an embarasment.

Live 95 is grand but being popular doesn't make you good. Highland Radio (or Daniel FM as the locals call it!) is woeful but it's lapped up for some reason.
    Ray foley is an idiot. and his listeners can hurl all the abuse they like at me because of my views on him. I don't give a rats ass.

It is not hard for Live 95FM to be number one when they have a monopoly on local commercial radio in Limerick. When Spin southwest has been running for a ful year you will get a better idea of how well 95FM is doing. although Spin is even ****ter than 95.

Well guys that's yer opinion,
    I guess that’s why there are so many stations to choose from and of course you can always turn on your cd/mp3 player:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 fatladysang

You might need to explain the word Monopoly for me Mr squid. I always thought that "Monopoly was Exclusive possession or control of an area or market ...?

I'm not from limerick but anytime I'm there I can get Gerry Ryan on my Radio, I can get Pat Kenny on my Radio , I can get all of Today FM loud and clear , I seem to have no problem getting Lyric FM and Spin FM , believe it or not I can tune in NewsTalk perfect ..Outside all that I can listen to ClareFM and Radio Kerry and maybe a handful more ILR's.

How can you say 95FM have a monopoly ?

The fact is this Limericks Live 95FM reachs more people every week then all of theses Stations together .

WHY?

Because they are bloody good at what they do. At least 60% of Limerick think so. Thank god we live in a country where we have free choice and its your choice not to listen.

No Problem - Vote with your dial . Move it.

• Advertisement

MRBI/JNLR Feb '08

Highland Radio 61 (+1);
    WLR FM 49 (-2);

I am a Commercial radio DJ I work clubs and get this I also work on community radio and I've been working with the BCI for a few years now!
    so does that qualify me to make a post ??

Advertisement