Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live 95 fm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Back in the glory days of radio, Limerick had between 5 and 12 stations at any one time. Some good, some crap - IMHO, but then my opinon obviously doesn't count if "fadladysang" views anyone who is part of the 40% as "Gob*****s" *.

I've said it before, though, and I won't be as rude or dismissive as "fls"; one station CANNOT be expected to cater for everyone, and as such there are 2 problems; 1) UTV doesn't feel the need to cater for everyone and 2) the BCI don't feel the need to fill the obvious gaps, and didn't switch the licence to a group that said that they would. So it's hardly Live 95's fault if they don't feel the need to [plus, to be fair, their sports coverage is a lot better than most of the other UTV identikit stations].

Anyone can tune in to the Dublin-based national stations, or eavesdrop on the nearby stations, but if you're like me and would love to listen to your own local station so that you not only got music but also got an idea of what was going on, then you're kinda stuck.

As for the JNLR, remember that if "someone" [that you hope is from Live 95 so you can get cash off them, but who is probably a researcher from JNLR] asks you what station you listen to, you may or may not get the cash but the Live 95 percentage points might pass out Highland Radio.... :D

And I have NO AGENDA......at least, not one against Live 95; like I said (even before you dismissed all dissenting opinion above) half of the problem is the BCI; they're improving, in that the under-20s finally (kinda) have their own station (even if they do share it with the nearby counties, at least it's based in Limerick) but the older population that were meant to get a station as proposed years ago for the AM band are hopelessly undercatered for......unless you count a token few hours at the weekends......

*P.S. I'm also not a wannabe anything coz I'm working for a commercial radio station too......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Some positive informed comments finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

I agree with Liam that the BCI have a lot to answer for but rules are set and if the stations aren’t breaking any rules all the BCI can do is pass on suggestions from the public.
    The BCI don't playlist any station as long as royalties are covered stations can play what they like (within the commission rules)
    As for the amount of times the songs are played and how the DJ’s present their shows well that’s up to each station and the so called listenership figures
    At the end of the day this topic has been debated for many years
    What’s the answer?
    Well that’s each persons own choice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You might need to explain the word Monopoly for me Mr squid. I always thought that "Monopoly was Exclusive possession or control of an area or market ...?

Live 95FM has exclusivity of the Limerick city and county market as it is the only station licenced to serve that franchise area. sure, there are other stations like spin, clarfm, RTE and today fm but they are not exclusively for Limerick in the way Live 95fm is.
    The fact is this Limericks Live 95FM reachs more people every week then all of theses Stations together

WHY?

Because they are bloody good at what they do. At least 60% of Limerick think so. Thank god we live in a country where we have free choice and its your choice not to listen.[/quote]

Or it could be because they have people saying "I listen to limerick's live 95FM" any time they are asked by a stranger in the hope that they can get a few euro off them.

Just thought this might be of interest to you Gob****e,Commuinty Radio,Wanna- be - DJ's .:D

Go away an learn about Commerical Formatted Radio before you decide to makes posts on the internet.

Who the **** do you think you are telling people what opinions they can and cannot share with others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I think Limericks 95fm is dire. Only the living dead and mentally challenged think it is a good thing.

Live 95FM has exclusivity of the Limerick city and county market as it is the only station licenced to serve that franchise area. sure, there are other stations like spin, clarfm, RTE and today fm but they are not exclusively for Limerick in the way Live 95fm is.

The BCI licenced West Limerick 102, 95 fm don't have exclusivity of the Limerick city and county market

IF YA DON'T LIKE IT TUNE OUT

West Limerick 102 is not a commercial station, it is a community station. And it doesn't serve the city, hence the name WEST Limerick 102.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 fatladysang

With the exception of Liam Byrne and his contribution(of which i respect) to the thread i don't have enough respect for the rest of you to continue this conversation . I'm too long in this game to be getting into this. You ask me who i think i am that i can attack or undermine the above opinions but the truth is plain to see that this thread is not based on opinions its a collective witch hunt against Limericks Live 95FM. And you have to wonder why some people would enter into that ?

Thats the last you will hear from me on it untill the conversation gets a little less childish.

With the exception of Liam Byrne and his contribution(of which i respect) to the thread i don't have enough respect for the rest of you to continue this conversation . I'm too long in this game to be getting into this. You ask me who i think i am that i can attack or undermine the above opinions but the truth is plain to see that this thread is not based on opinions its a collective witch hunt against Limericks Live 95FM. And you have to wonder why some people would enter into that ?

Thats the last you will hear from me on it untill the conversation gets a little less childish.

too long in this game to be getting into this

your obviously taking all this to heart,

It's a site where opinions (right or wrong) are posted

If you don't like the music leave the band

• Advertisement

West Limerick 102 is not a commercial station, it is a community station. And it doesn't serve the city, hence the name WEST Limerick 102.

I never said WL 102 are a commercial station

I said 95fm don't have exclusivity on the Limerick city and county market as it is not the only station licenced to serve that franchise area Spin fm are also serving the limerick city area therefore 95fm are not exclusive

I'm gonna back up FLS to a point here....while there are some posts (and I would hope mine are included in this) that point out what could be done better, saying "Live 95 is rubbish" and stuff like that is pointless, and will come across as a witch-hunt.

If anyone's posting comments like that, at least say what you don't like about it or why you don't listen to it......there are lots of things that I detest on radio and TV (e.g. Big Brother, Making Jake, etc) that it's probably unpopular to say that I think they're crap, but the fact is that they probably appeal to someone, and if they do, fair enough....

I mean, "Ear to the Ground" was on TV today, so I switched off the TV.....but I presume that it's catering for a particular audience.

Basically, Limerick needs at least another station. I would've loved to see the BCI licence both Live 95FM and the Heart FM application, and also to get their ass in gear and get a station on air to cater for the over-55s....

Then again, I also think they should've given the new multi-city licence to the Limerick-based group so that we wouldn't have to listen to people on the supposed "national" stations saying stuff like "demonstration on O'Connell St this evening" and other "we're really a Dublin station broadcasting nationwide" rookie mistakes.....even Choice FM weeded out this tendency fairly quickly when they went from being a local Dublin station to having the temporary multi-city licence.

I'll also have to disagree with roadruner.....saying that Spin is local is like saying that Lyric is local, or that Today FM being "in" Limerick dilutes Live 95's monopoly; community and special-interest licences like WL102, Wired and RHR don't [can't] have the advertising and therefore the budget to be any real competition.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You people are aware that this is done on the basis of an on street survey. 95 FM have this scam whereby if you say "I listen to Limerick's Live 95 FM" you get a cash prize if it's actually them, if not you're just boosting their listenership figures for them.

Liam Byrne [/QUOTE] I'll also have to disagree with roadruner.....saying that Spin is local is like saying that Lyric is local, or that Today FM being "in" Limerick dilutes Live 95's monopoly; community and special-interest licences like WL102, Wired and RHR don't [can't] have the advertising and therefore the budget to be any real competition.....[/QUOTE]

You are talking in circles
    You think adding another station to limerick possibly to serve the over 55's will solve this nonexistent problem I doubt that very much!
    People will just have another station to find fault with

I didn't say Spin is a local station I merely stated (from billy the squids post)
    "Live 95FM has exclusivity of the Limerick city and county market as it is the only station licenced to serve that franchise area".[/QUOTE]
    They don't have exclusivity in the city and Definitely not in the county
    Spin's franchise area are South West region of Ireland - counties of Kerry, Limerick, Clare, North Tipperary and South-West Laois.
    therefore 95fm don't have exclusivity in the city and Definitely not in the county

Liam Byrne [/QUOTE]Community and special-interest licences like WL102, Wired and RHR don't [can't] have the advertising and therefore the budget to be any real competition.....[/QUOTE]

Any Licenced station either city or county is competition

The Regional hospital radio does not need to make money from advertising they are funded by the HSE i.e. the government
    The system set up RHR have is far superior to 95fm Spin Fm and WL 102fm and is the only station to be granted a 10 year licence (although an institutional/internal station they can still be received in parts of Tipp Ennis & Kerry)
    they certainly have nothing to worry about as regards competition

At the end of the day Liam you said it yourself and I do agree, if you don't like it
    "SWITCH IT OFF"

our talking in circles
    You think adding another station to limerick possibly to serve the over 55's will solve this nonexistent problem I doubt that very much!
    People will just have another station to find fault with

There is a difference between talking in circles and havint to repeat ones self because the other person in the conversation refuses to obsorb what is being said.

As for my comment on the exclusivity of live 95fm. Name one other station which operates on a commercial basis in the Limerick City and County franchise area.

Spin is not a local station it is a regional station which has to cater for kerry, clare, tipperary and an itty bitty bit of Laois.

WLR102 is not competition either as it is a station for west limerick, a community station which is a lot different to a commercial station.

Therefore, 95fm have a monopoly on radio for both Limerick city and county.

There is a difference between talking in circles and havint to repeat ones self because the other person in the conversation refuses to obsorb what is being said.

As for my comment on the exclusivity of live 95fm. Name one other station which operates on a commercial basis in the Limerick City and County franchise area.

Spin is not a local station it is a regional station which has to cater for kerry, clare, tipperary and an itty bitty bit of Laois.

WLR102 is not competition either as it is a station for west limerick, a community station which is a lot different to a commercial station.

I wasn't directing the talking in circles to you!

Let me put it in SIMPLE terms so ONE might understand as I don't think ONE quite gets what ONE is saying
    Forget for a moment about the licensing, franchise, commercial, regional, competition, or who is broadcasting where in the city or county or any of that dribble.
    I am talking about the choice people make in what and who they listen to
    This thread started about 95fm and how woeful some people think it and some of its DJ’s and playlists are.
    Not everyone turns on the radio and thinks
    ‘Oh the exclusivity of live 95fm in this franchise area have ruined my listening pleasure what shall I do?, since we have no other commercially licenced station here I shall just turn off my radio’
    It boils down to what people tune to,
    their likes and dislikes if i have grasped the idea of why this thread was started in the first place then it’s about peoples choice and if they think the choice available is worth listening to well fair enough

When you say "Commercial" I'm sure your talking about a Station that sells Airtime ?

All RTE Stations
    Spin SW
    Today FM
    NewsTalk
    and ClareFM all have people working in the Limerick City and County area trying to undercut Live95FM for "Spot Packages"

All of theses Stations work on a Commercial basis in Limerick .

Let me make this simple for you . If Frank Hogan Motors Limerick has a budget of 100k to spend annually on advertising and he has been slicing this up between The Limerick Leader and Limericks Live 95FM for years and then suddenly Newstalk enters the mix and Spin SW and lets say for argument ClareFM offers him a great deal on a package of 20sec spots out of their 7am to 7pm news he might well decide to target some of the surrounding Co Clare audience . Its very possible that he still spends no more then his 100K so the likes of 95FM start to get smaller slices of the cake.Just because 95FM is by far the market leader and the correct vehicle to use for your campaign as their reaching 60% of Limerick People it doesn't mean they don't have competition , in fact the competition has never more stronger.

I really don't understand your above post?

You're missing something there, FLS.....why would Frank Hogan Motors choose Clare FM or any of the others if Live 95 has the listenership figures and audience that it claims....? Fact is that Clare FM has lots of listeners in Limerick (and the reverse is probably also true to some extent too).

All of the stations that you list ARE NOT LOCAL, and are not operating from Limerick (with the possible exception of Lyric in that regard).
    and the correct vehicle to use for your campaign as their reaching 60% of Limerick People
    :L Pure marketing speak!!!! Like every other medium, it's only the correct vehicle to use if the audience you want to hit is within the listenership. Quit the hyperbole and stick to the facts, please.

QUOTE=Liam Byrne;55234734]You're missing something there, FLS.....why would Frank Hogan Motors choose Clare FM or any of the others if Live 95 has the listenership figures and audience that it claims....? Fact is that Clare FM has lots of listeners in Limerick (and the reverse is probably also true to some extent too).

Liam I'm really lost here I have to say - Your asking me a question and answering it yourself in one paragraph ? Whats wrong with Frank Hogan hitting 95FMs 60% share of the market plus hitting ClareFMs 42% in the hope people will drive to Limerick from Clare to buy their Merc - The same applys for a Merc dealer in Galway targeting Clare People through ClareFM and so on and so on..

The conversation has moved on from MRBI/JNLR - We are now (At least) I thought talking about revenue. People on the thread are saying Live 95FM has NO COMPETITION in Limerick. Its simply not true..They have hugh competition and through clever marketing and programming they have managed to keep the competition down.

I'm sorry if your offended by my "Marketing Speak" and I agree about "its the right vehicle to use if the audience you want to hit is within the listenership" and thats why I use Frank Hogans as an excample. 95FM are aiming at 25 to 50 plus age group - These are the people who make daily purchasing decisions and these are the people who have disposable income regardless of moratages ect . I don't see many of the Spin Listeners buying the new Audi a5 OR THE New Merc E 200 - Lucky if most of the Spin Audience have money in their pocket for phone credit. The perception is that Youth Radio is a licence to print money - That notion came from the "Dan O'Day" Radio book in the states in the 80's and its a myth - Or least it is in this country . It might be true of Z100 NY or KIIS LA who command a hugh slice of corporate agency advertising.

You want the FACTS ? Bottom Line is this Live 95FM has more competition then ever before in all areas of business.

:L Pure marketing speak!!!! Like every other medium, it's only the correct vehicle to use if the audience you want to hit is within the listenership. Quit the hyperbole and stick to the facts, please.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

fat lady sings has just revealed live 95s main motivation.. it isnt to entertain anyone, its to sell audi's and line the pockets of advertisers. thats your reason right there why people hate that station, which is why this thread was started. by just focusing your target audience, which that station appears to do if all they are concerned about is whether people can further put themselves in debt by loaning out a swanky car, then you're just giving younger listeners (or should i say 25 and under as we must be concious of the intended audience) another reason to dislike the station.

the djs, while they may be nice enough people, are embarrasing to listen to,
    the music is crap, repetitive, and outdated ( i didnt realise that once you hit 25 that you had to be subjected to sh!te).
    what world do the owners and station managers live in? money money money seems to be the prime motivator, forget quality broadcasting! radio is a business and a balance must be struck but live95 has tipped the wrong way methinks.

• Advertisement

But of course your right - 95FM are only interested in making money..while Denis O'Brien has NO interest in making money its all about making great Radio in Newstalk,Today FM,Spin Dublin,Spin SW,East Coast,Dublins 98FM, and whatever else Commuincorp own.

Get a Grip.

With regard to Dennis O Brien owning 98fm. At least 98fm is an alternative to FM 104. the fact that they cater for a slightly older audience with their selection of music shows in their jnlr figures. 98fm has historically been the no one station in Dublin.

QUOTE=Liam Byrne;55234734]You're missing something there, FLS.....why would Frank Hogan Motors choose Clare FM or any of the others if Live 95 has the listenership figures and audience that it claims....? Fact is that Clare FM has lots of listeners in Limerick (and the reverse is probably also true to some extent too).

Liam I'm really lost here I have to say - Your asking me a question and answering it yourself in one paragraph ? Whats wrong with Frank Hogan hitting 95FMs 60% share of the market plus hitting ClareFMs 42% in the hope people will drive to Limerick from Clare to buy their Merc - The same applys for a Merc dealer in Galway targeting Clare People through ClareFM and so on and so on..

The conversation has moved on from MRBI/JNLR - We are now (At least) I thought talking about revenue. People on the thread are saying Live 95FM has NO COMPETITION in Limerick. Its simply not true..They have hugh competition and through clever marketing and programming they have managed to keep the competition down.

I'm sorry if your offended by my "Marketing Speak" and I agree about "its the right vehicle to use if the audience you want to hit is within the listenership" and thats why I use Frank Hogans as an excample. 95FM are aiming at 25 to 50 plus age group - These are the people who make daily purchasing decisions and these are the people who have disposable income regardless of moratages ect . I don't see many of the Spin Listeners buying the new Audi a5 OR THE New Merc E 200 - Lucky if most of the Spin Audience have money in their pocket for phone credit. The perception is that Youth Radio is a licence to print money - That notion came from the "Dan O'Day" Radio book in the states in the 80's and its a myth - Or least it is in this country . It might be true of Z100 NY or KIIS LA who command a hugh slice of corporate agency advertising.

You want the FACTS ? Bottom Line is this Live 95FM has more competition then ever before in all areas of business.

:L Pure marketing speak!!!! Like every other medium, it's only the correct vehicle to use if the audience you want to hit is within the listenership. Quit the hyperbole and stick to the facts, please.
    [/QUOTE]

Like I said he is talking in circles

With regard to Dennis O Brien owning 98fm. At least 98fm is an alternative to FM 104. the fact that they cater for a slightly older audience with their selection of music shows in their jnlr figures. 98fm has historically been the no one station in Dublin.

Its been quite some time since 98 were N01 in Dublin - But going by your post above where you mention alternative your problem is at the door of the BCI and not 95FM then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

But of course your right - 95FM are only interested in making money..while Denis O'Brien has NO interest in making money its all about making great Radio in Newstalk,Today FM,Spin Dublin,Spin SW,East Coast,Dublins 98FM, and whatever else Commuincorp own.

Get a Grip.

wow you sure are rude..good representative for the station im sure.

yes, from what you were saying they are only interested in making money..we were talking about dj's/playlists and you brought it round to how much advertising revenue they bring in which frankly, doesnt make the sh!ttiness of the the aforementioned dj's and playlists any better for the average listener.

There you go - The above post shows you why people very often don't post on Internet Forums . "How do you think I'm rude ? Because I told you to get a grip ? Do you think that McDonalds motivation in business is GREAT BURGERS ? Maybe TOYMASTER's motivation in business is to make kids wonderfully happy ?

Where do you work ? Do you work in a company thats not motivation by making money ? If so I would love to know who they are ?

Local Radio is a business .Sorry if I'm rude for telling you that.

And for what its worth "I don't represent 95FM" . I have worked in Radio and retain an interest - No more to it.

As for the Jocks and Playlist thats all down to opinion and taste - Some like the music and the guys on Air and some don't - In my opinion the Station sounds great and remember they are a "full service" Station in the eyes of the commission and they more then satisfy their remit through local news,sport and local issues . As for the playlisting - I could talk for ever about the "ins and outs" of how that works and how it should work and the correct use of clocks with'in selector ect and if I'm honest i would love to get my hands on the Music Scheduling at a Station like 95FM but their already playing a good mix across the day. Most Stations test a certain amount of music and then compile maybe a bank of between 500 and 1000 songs that then fall into different categories . No only do the BCI insist on a percentage of Irish Music but your also required to play a percentage of 70's,80's,90's and Powers' never mind certain genres like country music (in the case of 95) . Spins music remit is different and then theres RTE where theres NO remit.

Radio just doesn't work like some people think - DJ's don't walk in with a bunch of CD's under arm and open their mic. The "JackFM" format has not yet reached us.

While I don't work in 95FM I'm conscious that they might not be too happy with this be "played out" on an open forum . Why don't you people with issues about the Station write directly to the CEO or PD ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You don't have many posts on here so you may not really be aware of the way this forum (or others for that matter) work but the general idea is to argue the post and not the poster. By telling people to "get a grip" and using abrasive and aggressive language ("let me make this simple for you") you are making this personal, when it's not.

Live 95 exist to make money, like every other commercial enterprise on the planet. As it happens I think they do a good job, with thier local current affairs programming seeming particularly good. I personally don't listen to the station very often but then again I don't listen to the radio that much. Irrespective of my own opinion on it if they have a 60% market share then they are doing something right.

However the idea that we cannot or should not express an opinion is frankly ridiculous. That is what forums like this are for, to openly share opinions. You might listen to Live 95 and think it's great. I might listen to it and think it's rubbish. We both have an equally valid viewpoint and - as long as we are expressing an honestly held opinion - then we are within our rights to express it. If we weren't then the likes of local press and broadcasters would have to cancel all film, TV and resteraunt reviews.

The station has a duty to it's community and we - as representatives of that community - have the right to offer an opinion on teh quality of the service being provided. Otherwise we might as well tune in to Pravda!

My Apologies - I agree with everything you say.

But have a read back over some for posts on this topic and you will see that anything i have posted in comparision is very mild.

There you go - The above post shows you why people very often don't post on Internet Forums . "How do you think I'm rude ? Because I told you to get a grip ? Do you think that McDonalds motivation in business is GREAT BURGERS ? Maybe TOYMASTER's motivation in business is to make kids wonderfully happy ?

Toymasters in this neck of the woods went into liquidation last year. It's been a while since toymasters sold anything around ehre.

As for you being rude, here is what you said earlier in the thread
    Just thought this might be of interest to you Gob****e,Commuinty Radio,Wanna- be - DJ's .

Go away an learn about Commerical Formatted Radio before you decide to makes posts on the internet.

If you don't think that is rude then you must have pretty low standards.

• Advertisement

Yes I am Rude.

Is that it ?

All done?

Advertisement