Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new bonnet after accident, how much?

• 13-12-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Driving home today a deer jumped out straight in front of me and now the bonnet is a mess as a result of the impact.

Looks like its only the bonnet thats damaged , the grill part of it took most of the force and thats smashed but dont think anything else is out of shape anywhere else, the bonnet is warped too where one of its hoofs made contact - the bonnet is a write off probably

As for the deer, it was pretty badly hurt, I called the Rangers and they shot it.

Assuming the bonnet is the only thing damaged (hopefully) , how much is it likely to cost me to get replaced? Car is an 05 Fabia Ambiente Tdi 1.4L

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm assuming you have comp? If so, just take it to the place who'll do the best job. This is most likely not a main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Contact the Deers insurance company .. did you get his details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's little or no point in pursuing the deer for money, from what I herd, they can't spare even a buck! (Boom boom :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I didn't know the Rangers had the US policy of 'shoot first, question later'...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jaysus, lads a career in stand up may not work out for ye ;)

My insurance company were fine about it and its getting sorted. Interesting the crash repair place said this is the third deer related accidant they've had in the last month, they usually get one or two all year apparently.

I'm with FBD and hadn't bothered to take out the option to keep the no claims bonus if I crashed as I thought it was a con to get extra money out of good drivers...little did i I count on a feckin' deer jumping out kamikazie like in front of me last night!

Bye,bye no claims bonus :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you sure the cost of the repairs outweighs the cost of losing your no-claims? I've no idea how old you are but for me I think I would be far better off keeping the no-claims bonus intact!

Stephen wrote: »
    Are you sure the cost of the repairs outweighs the cost of losing your no-claims? I've no idea how old you are but for me I think I would be far better off keeping the no-claims bonus intact!

Well I'm guessing a couple of grands worth of damage. In daylight it looks worse than it did last night.
    Need a new bumper - cracked through, bonnet bent out of shape and latch snapped, coolant is leaking from somewhere, the radiator is damaged where a hoof hit it, drivers side lamp holder smashed, and frame that holds the radiator bent in a bit.

All in all probably a lot of work. My insurance (fully comp) was 500 euro this year so probably about 800 or so next year I'd guess with the "no claims" gone, still worth the claim I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was it Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer.....?If it was you fcuked up Xmas for a lot of people.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Was it Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer.....?If it was you fcuked up Xmas for a lot of people.

Thats it, your going on the naughty (not nice) list Mr Dub13!!
    Santa's bringing coal to the dub13 household this Christmas, mark my words.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Longfield wrote: »
    Thats it, your going on the naughty (not nice) list Mr Dub13!!
    Santa's bringing coal to the dub13 household this Christmas, mark my words.

Santa is costing me a fortune the least he could do is bring me something even a bit of coal.

On a side note,My eldest who is 5 was in her granny's last week and seen some coal and she asked what it is.Made me feel very old.