Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homevision - Any views

Options
  • 13-12-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Saw an ad on the paper during the week for Homevision

Has anyone got it....Is it any good.....

Any view or opinions, i am thinking of changing

Thanks
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Their broadband is terrible. Very slow for a 2mb line and also you cannot reach hotmail yahoo ryanair or anything related to microsoft. To put it simply stay well away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whoknows?

pardon my ignorance but very slow for a 2Mg line?? Surely the download speed is in the region of 2Mg (allowing for some loss if you are far from exchange)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

its like all Broadband suppliers, speed is UPTO 2MB, so it could be any speed inbetween :)
    so in theory yes it can be slow for a 2MB package, all depends on quality of cable and distance from exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whoknows?

Ah well! Shame I didn't check here before i ordered it, still waiting so initial signs aren't good but I remain hopeful :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bb27

Have the misfortune of having Homevision for TV and Broadband, complete rubbish, I wouldn't believe all the promo rubbish about value etc. Terrible provider which you'd be well advised to avoid!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭clueless007

Good day,

Whoknows, could you please tell me when you got your broadband with homevision set up? I am thinking of getting my broadband from them too. Look at this way, they have a 30 trial thing, you could still back out.

Still waiting for Eircom to take 25 days to connect my phoneline. Thanks in advance.

The 30 day trial is crap, you've to unsubscribe from your current provider for the duration and you'll end up going back to them afterwards anyway.
    I couldn't access any secure sites for two months (hotmail, MSN, Ryanair etc...)
    Seriously bad service...avoid Homevision!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭What Vision?

Do not get it. It is so bad, we have it. The internet is really slow, and our tv hasn't worked for a week now. And they only have a small selection of channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭clueless007

That sounded really bad huh?
    I am not with any internet provider now as Eircom is taking 25 days to re-connect the phoneline. Thought Homevision has a pretty good deal of of 2M broadband with the rental of phoneline for €30. Too good to be true! :(
    I don't know who I should go to now :(
    The search continues ;p

Thank you for all the pre- warnings ;p

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 su7f4r

Just looking at some negative stuff about HomeVision here, so wanted to say that I am having a good experience and provide a bit of balance, seeing that they are the only crowd who can do it over the telephone line and justify the line rental. Off Clontarf exchange, signed up thru 30 day trial in early jan and getting 31 digital channels, phone (dont have a need to really use it) and 4 mb wireless broadband....and it is going well.

wanted to set up port forwarding but they don't currently do it

anyway that's my piece....

• Advertisement

I spy a mole above, Homevision are complete rubbish, every aspect of their service is terrible...full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

su7f4r wrote: »
    Just looking at some negative stuff about HomeVision here, so wanted to say that I am having a good experience and provide a bit of balance, seeing that they are the only crowd who can do it over the telephone line and justify the line rental. Off Clontarf exchange, signed up thru 30 day trial in early jan and getting 31 digital channels, phone (dont have a need to really use it) and 4 mb wireless broadband....and it is going well.

wanted to set up port forwarding but they don't currently do it

anyway that's my piece....

No they are not the only ones who can provide IPTV over the phone line - Smart are now offering the service and I believe Eircom are also testing it too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IPTV via copper phone wire is for people that sell services on copper phone wires. Not for users. Broadcast services for TV are superior. No technical limit to set boxs on cable or Satellite, on IPTV via DSL you may never be able to reliably have a second set box or ever have real HD TV.

VOD can now be done via regular Cable or Satellite if you have a suitable PVR. VOD and long tail 100,000 catalogue is only advantage of IPTV. But who in Ireland is doing VOD with more choice than xtravision?

Copper is so rubbish in Ireland I think Magnet dropped IPTV on DSL and only do it on Fibre now. You need to be under 1km from exchange with perfect line for decent IPTV on DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

watty wrote: »
    Copper is so rubbish in Ireland I think Magnet dropped IPTV on DSL and only do it on Fibre now. You need to be under 1km from exchange with perfect line for decent IPTV on DSL.

The Eircom one works pretty well on distances over that. You get the odd freeze changing channel but nothing terrible.

But what is your download speed while watching TV?
    How is Quality compared with Satellite BBC or RTE?
    Can you add a second set box?

For most people beyond 1km on copper the answers are not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

But what is your download speed while watching TV?
    How is Quality compared with Satellite BBC or RTE?
    Can you add a second set box?

For most people beyond 1km on copper the answers are not good.

Valid points. I only saw it once and on a small TV

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well for the current Smart Vision IPTV service (which is fibre to the basement and ADSL from there to the apartment, well under 100m), it is:

- But what is your download speed while watching TV?

It drops (well it use to when they gave you full speed, they now throttle BB back to 4m)

- How is Quality compared with Satellite BBC or RTE?

Awful, pixelation, out of sync audio, slow channel change.

- Can you add a second set box?

Nope, they had to give me a second phone line from the basement along with second adsl modem to enable that.

They are rolling out a new service with ADSL2+ and MPEG4, but it still won't support multiple HD boxes.

And that's only from the basement using maybe CAT5e? I'd imagine typical 30 year old mouldy CAT3 copper to exchange is bit trickier :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And that's only from the basement using maybe CAT5e? I'd imagine typical 30 year old mouldy CAT3 copper to exchange is bit trickier :)

That's right, cat5e.

Homevision are without doubt among the worst service providers I have had the misfortune to deal with.

Have a look at the packages on UPc.ie (NTL) unbelievable for €20 a month get 36 stations, for €26 you get 72 stations, for €44 euro you can get 36 tv stations, 3mb broadband & phone - half price for 2 months and free installation. Yearly cost all in = €484.
    Look at what we're paying with Homevision for less services & pricey installation!!!

TV Stations Broadband Phone Annual Cost
    NTL Starter Pack 36 tv stations & 3mb broadband €484

Homevision Homemax 31 stations & 2mb broadband €794.88

Homevision are 64% more expensive for 5 less stations & 1mb lees broadband!!! Did they say they were committed to value? Same applies to other packages, pay more for less with Homevision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dpower

bb27 wrote: »
    Homevision are 64% more expensive for 5 less stations & 1mb lees broadband!!! Did they say they were committed to value? Same applies to other packages, pay more for less with Homevision

HomeVision is triple play, i.e. with phone. not a valid comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ntl has the phone service for 4 extra so that makes a valid comparison

upc does phone too

dpower wrote: »
    HomeVision is triple play, i.e. with phone. not a valid comparison.

You'll find it's a very valid comparison!
    NTL actually give you the option of not having a phone as part of their bundles. Homevision make the phone mandatory and charge you it as part of their bundle whether you want/need it or not. We have 2 mobiles so didn't have any use for a home phone. Had no choice but to have it and pay for having it, whether I ever made a call on it or not. Funnilly, Homevision never sent me a telephone number, so I didn't actually realise they had installed a phoneline until I received the bill for it. Typical Homevision, quick at sending ridiculous bills, slow on service!
    Not only will you pay more for less stations (which happen to be a terrible mix anyway), and pay more for slower broadband, you'll also pay for a phone you may well not want or ever use. Just another way for Homevision to rip you off and send you a bill for 64% more than NTL for a far inferior selection & service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

I haven't used Homevision although I did sign up for it. I've been told it'll be in my area soon - not sure what exactly soon is???

From a pricing perspective, it looks ok - €47 for TV, Phone & BB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 petrapetra

bb27 wrote: »
    Homevision are without doubt among the worst service providers I have had the misfortune to deal with.

Have a look at the packages on UPc.ie (NTL) unbelievable for €20 a month get 36 stations, for €26 you get 72 stations, for €44 euro you can get 36 tv stations, 3mb broadband & phone - half price for 2 months and free installation. Yearly cost all in = €484.
    Look at what we're paying with Homevision for less services & pricey installation!!!

TV Stations Broadband Phone Annual Cost
    NTL Starter Pack 36 tv stations & 3mb broadband €484

Homevision Homemax 31 stations & 2mb broadband €794.88

bb27, your posts (here and all over boards) clearly demonstrate who you work for!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jems

i started out looking for a sky multi room upgrade but now considering getting a phone/tv/BB package and have the tv for upstairs (while still keeping sky) does that make sense?
    the 3 in 1 package would be the same if not less than my current phone/BB!

i'm not keen on NTL from previous experience i.e. poor reception/no tv/bad customer support etc. and i'm unlikey to ever go near them again.

so enquiring re this homevision. is it really that bad?
    anyone that actually has it and doesnt work for them or competitor company.

in the meantime i might let my current provider know and see if they can do me a better deal.

Jems wrote: »
    i started out looking for a sky multi room upgrade but now considering getting a phone/tv/BB package and have the tv for upstairs (while still keeping sky) does that make sense?
    the 3 in 1 package would be the same if not less than my current phone/BB!

i'm not keen on NTL from previous experience i.e. poor reception/no tv/bad customer support etc. and i'm unlikey to ever go near them again.

so enquiring re this homevision. is it really that bad?
    anyone that actually has it and doesnt work for them or competitor company.

in the meantime i might let my current provider know and see if they can do me a better deal.

I honestly think that most of the people who have commented about Homevision here are or were customers and are not competitors.

While employees of companies do post here, they normally do so in the open and they would never comment on a competitor, if they did regulars here on the forum would toast them alive :)

If you want TV up stairs you could always look at Freesat, about 100 UK channels for free.

I'd go with UPC/NTL for TV or phone over homevision any day.

Another option would be to just go with UPC for BB + phone (if you want the phone, it isn't necessary) and Sky multi room for TV service

petrapetra wrote: »
    bb27, your posts (here and all over boards) clearly demonstrate who you work for!!!!!

Petrapetra, you seem to have as great interest in my opinions on Homevision. That your one & only post is made to defend homevision makes me wonder as to any connections you have with them shams.
    Whether you do or not doesn't bother me but I hope every view I've expressed on Homevision prove a serious warning about how absolutely rubbish and overpriced a service Homevision provide (on the offchance that the service isn't down, which is a frequent occurance).
    I can safely say I've no allegiance to NTL or any other service provider. If I choose to make a valid impartial comparision between NTL which shows Homevision as providing seriously bad value, that's my choice as a previous customer of both. That I've criticised Homevision so much in various forums shows how bad they were when I had the misfortune to sign up to them and I'll reiterate the message to anyone to avoid homevision no matter what.
    I could compare homevision with Sky or anyone else and the same poor value and choice of stations would be equally apparent. So basically I'm saying avoid Homevision no matter what, go with NTL, Sky, Smartvision.....even RTE 1,2 & TV3 with the old analogue aerial...all far better options than Homevision. Petrapetra - you going to accuse me of working for Sky & smartvision aswell as NTL now? Tell your colleagues in Homevision to sort their pricing & service out and you wouldn't have to spend time doing PR work on chat forums when impartial comparisons are made by people like me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nadie x x x

Guy's im was looking at some of ur comments about homevision!! I aint in there service area yet but surly a company that offers a free 30 trial is happy with there product? and plus i do see bad comments but lik if you got the tiral then why after 30s go on thats just silly don't you think? like really you had service for 30s and you still stayed with it surly it's not that bad???????? :P I really dont under stand ppl who are not happy with something and don't do anything about it would you all not agree?

Please reply? :)

Advertisement