Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Satellite Navigation System

Options
  • 13-12-2007 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys

im looking in to buying a sat nav. was looking at the one in xtra vision. for a 199 euro. the make of it is NAVMAN F20. does any one know if it is any good. it says it has maps of ireland and the uk. can you put more countries on it.

hope you can help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

james - I'm no expert but i've been researching GPS's for a long time (I use marine a lot, but never had a road one)

You really pay for what you get for, and you pay for extra toy's. NAVTEQ seem to be the map's to go for.

I ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi 670T (I know I only needed the 660 for Europe but got the 670 for a good price). She has all the bells and whistles that I wanted. She has bluetooth for the phone, and an FM transmitter so I can get directions to scream out the stereo if needs be.

I have yet to see people fault the Nuvi range. I compared the normal screen to the Widescreen and the widescreen is defo a winner. OK it's a big lumpier, but bigger screen makes it easy to type in addresses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I have an F20 and it's maps are very good in the big cities, but non-existent outside them. I bought it for finding my way around Dublin (I do a Shannon <> Dublin run at least once a week), but it actually thinks there are no towns between Limerick & Kildare. It's that bad!

As John says, buy a unit with Navteq maps to get near 100% coverage. TomToms used to be the ones to go for, but they seem to have stopped using Navteq maps after Nokia bought Navteq. Garmin seem to be the only brand name manufacturer using them, and the nuvi range is good. Save yourself some money though and stay away from the high street. Pixmania.com are doing some good deals on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

james92 wrote: »
    Hi guys

im looking in to buying a sat nav. was looking at the one in xtra vision. for a 199 euro. the make of it is NAVMAN F20. does any one know if it is any good. it says it has maps of ireland and the uk. can you put more countries on it.
    hope you can help.Thanks
    I had a Navman Pin 570 two years ago, It literally fell apart between connections breaking and the coverage was crap outside of Dublin. I wouldnt touch one again with a barge pole. You pay for what you get, If you have the extra cash go for the Garman.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Halfords do deals on Garmin units from time to time, best to hold out for one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Elara.ie have them also - their prices overall are reasonable

http://www.elara.ie/products/gps.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have no problems with my TomTom One with Teleatlas maps.

Spend a little extra and get a good one like Garmin or TT with europe wide maps aswell if you spend any time over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have a Route 66. I posted about it before. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it is just a GPS, but its really really good. Finds the remotest beaches by name all over the country (surfer) It seems to know all the obscure townlands and the calculation and recalculation is very quick.

I don't know how much they are, or where to get them, it was a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I have yet to see people fault the Nuvi range. I compared the normal screen to the Widescreen and the widescreen is defo a winner.

I have the Nuvi 360 small form factor, and I got the 670 for my partner. I had originally planned to reverse, and keep the widescreen 670 for myself, but I don't like it one bit. It's too wide on the windscreen, and the user interface has been lifted from the smaller unit, and not redesigned, leaving buttons that look completely out of proportion on the screen, and amateurish. I much rather the smaller form factor of the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

My recommendation would be the Garmin Nuvi 250 widescreen. I reckon it's the best on the market at the moment. It comes with maps for Ireland, UK and Europe. You shouldn't pay anymore then €270 or if you fancied getting it in pink €290.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got my 670 today - It's the business, defo recommend a Nuvi anyhow. The bluetooth is a godsend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lightening wrote: »
    I have a Route 66. I posted about it before. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it is just a GPS, but its really really good. Finds the remotest beaches by name all over the country (surfer) It seems to know all the obscure townlands and the calculation and recalculation is very quick.

I don't know how much they are, or where to get them, it was a present.

Mine seems to love the M50, anywhere you're going in the city centre usually involves a trip out to the M50, up or down, then back into town! It also loves taking me round in circles!

Garmin is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mine seems to love the M50, anywhere you're going in the city centre usually involves a trip out to the M50, up or down, then back into town! It also loves taking me round in circles!

Garmin is much better.

I bought an Garmin Streetpilot c310 about 2 years ago in Halfords in a sale. The Irish (very,very poor quality ) and the UK (well mapped) were all that were on it.

Can anybody suggest where to get a proper set of Europe wide maps including Ireland in detail and a rough price for same ?

Would I be better off buying a new unit altogether that has the proper maps preloaded ?

Regards,

Chevy RV:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Navteq have much better coverage for Ireland, Teleatlas has better mapping for the rest of Europe I was told. If you are using it in Ireland get a Garmin.

I used to tell people to buy Garmin instead of the other Navs we sold as we did not carry Garmin a month ago... yes I am terrible at sales. :rolleyes:

So no matter where you are buying from Garmin is the one to go for. I use a Nuvi 350, don't need bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Navman use teleatlas so not great.

Halfords have up to 50% off all Satnav at the moment, and have a nice Route66 unit, which uses the much better Navteq maps, for €149
    and some Garmin model for €199.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

JHMEG wrote: »
    Navman use teleatlas so not great.

Halfords have up to 50% off all Satnav at the moment, and have a nice Route66 unit, which uses the much better Navteq maps, for €149
    and some Garmin model for €199.

50% off?! How much are they making on them usually? :confused:

Here is our Garmin range if anyone wants to have a look see.

http://www.elara.ie/products/gps.asp?srch=&anyallexact=all&manu=GARMIN&mancode=&searchBtn=Search+%3E&layershowhide=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Garmin Nuvi 250 only €195 + €12 postage on Komplett.ie

Advertisement