Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooter returning to Ireland

Options
  • 13-12-2007 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

I am a shooter in UK considering a return to live in Ireland. Over here I shoot target rifle ( military type rifles ) and pistols before they were banned.

Can anyone tell me of a website where I can see what is permissable in Ireland - ie, what can you possess and not possess ?

Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

As far as I know you can have anything except fully automatics. But you need a reason to own them so you will need to be a member of a club. You will also need a gun safe and a monitored alarm.
    I think there is something else I am forgeting?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Welcome to the forum!
    The approach here is similar to the UK, in terms of what is available, except we have pistol, BUT
    a lot will be at the discretion of the local superintendent, centrefire for rifle and pistol can be very difficult for a first time application. Membership of a club will more then likely be needed as well.
    You will need to apply seperately for each firearm, and an FAC is required for each individual firearm.
    I would suggest if you are coming, a character letter from your local FO wouldnt hurt, outlining that you have had firearms before.
    Dont go rushing off buying safes, alarms, etc without talking to the local Guards first, and ask them what they recommend.
    I am into the military target as well, got a 6.5 swede.
    Have you any idea what part of the country you could be going to?

Advertisement