Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port road tragedy

• 13-12-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

local man killed off a moterbike on the port road at 7.30 tonight, awful tragedy so close to christmas.
    may he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

**** man, thats sucks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rip

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

2 others taken to hospital. Both were occupants of the car which was in collision with the motorcycle.

RIP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Apparently he was speeding and hit the car as it was coming out of a junction, car was turned over so he must have hit it at some speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

may he rest in peace. my thoughts are with his family and friends and those of the injured people in car.

he was in his late 20's and from the locality.

the young man in the car was in his early 20's and lived very near the accident. i'm not sure who the other occupant of the car was.

i have heard that the young man driving the other car has a punctured lung but I'm not 100% sure of that. Does anyone know for definite how the two people who survived are doing?

Does anyone know exactly what happened either? I've got mixed information on it? Was the motorbike travelling down the port road (towards the port) or towards the N25? Did the car pull out into his path?

that's two motorbike tragedies in slieverue in the last few years involving young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I heard it happened up at the Creamery Junction. I also heard that when the biker hit the car and flipped it. I know the guy's sister. All I've heard about the man and teenage girl was that they were in a serious condition out in Ardkeen. If it is the Cramery Junction that junction is leathal

I heard it happened up at the Creamery Junction. I also heard that when the biker hit the car and flipped it. I know the guy's sister. All I've heard about the man and teenage girl was that they were in a serious condition out in Ardkeen. If it is the Cramery Junction that junction is leathal

i'm almost sure it happened on the port road as that's where the ambulances were going but I could be wrong.

I assume by creamery junction you mean coming out of eurofeuls onto the N25. It definitly wasn't there as I was on the road around that time and saw nothing.

i know the guy on the bike from seeing him on the bike around Lyons. Know his brothers to see them.

The chap in the car was in school with me but is a couple of years younger than me. Don't know who the girl in the car was.

no point in arguing about where it did or didn't happen. The main thing is that he lost his life and leaves behind his family and friends to grieve.

OT He was in my brother's year in the Tech in Slieverue.

oh no i wasn't tryin 2 argue at all. i was only tryin 2 make sense of how it happened in my head is all

he would prob have been in my brothers year in the tech too or maybe a year behind him

It happened at the last junction on the left at the bottom of the port road. Yes the car flipped over and ended up on its side. There were 2 occupents in the car, a male and female. The chap on the motorbike died at the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Whats the name of the guy in the car? Even if you could give me his second name..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Out of respect of the family and relatives, if your giving any name please do it via PM. Until such time the press give the name.. Cheers.

I assume the bike was going fairly fast to flip it, but how did the car not spot the bike in the first place? Slightly confused..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea if anyone knows please let me know! I was talking to a couple of my friends tonight and they knew the guy on the bike, they also said they think the guy in the car is one of our friends..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    Out of respect of the family and relatives, if your giving any name please do it via PM. Until such time the press give the name.. Cheers.

I assume the bike was going fairly fast to flip it, but how did the car not spot the bike in the first place? Slightly confused..
    My friend was driving not far behind the motorbike at the moment of impact. She said that he must have overtaken her at around 140kph and then a few seconds later the car pulled out onto the main road from a side access road. I don't need to say what happened after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Extract from http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rushhour--horror-as-two-killed-in-headon-collision-1248205.html
    ======================================================

Meanwhile, a 27-year-old motorcyclist who was killed instantly in Co Kilkenny on Thursday night has been named locally as Kenneth Scannell of Curraghmore, near Slieverue.

Two teenagers were also injured after his motorcycle slammed into a car a high speed.

Mr Scannell died when his motorbike ploughed into the car at Gurteen, Slieverue on Thursday at about 7.20pm. Paramedics and gardai rushed to the accident, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The two occupants of the car, one male and one female, who were both in their teens, were seriously injured.

They were taken by ambulance to Waterford Regional Hospital. It is understood that the young woman was released from hospital yesterday, while the man was said to be "recovering".

It is believed that Mr Scannell's powerful 1,000cc motorbike collided with the car as it was pulling out of a side road on to the Port Road.

Gardai in Waterford are asking anyone with information to contact them on 051 3053000.

The latest fatalities bring the number of people killed on Irish roads so far this year to 322.

A common road for speeding, but such a bad time to happen in the year :( Really sad

on my way home last night I decided i'd go that way. there were alot of flowers at/near the scene, very sad. i'm surprised that they (the gardi) didn't ask the travelling community as they've set up camp just up the road from there. and when i say set up I mean set up camp. but that's a different topic

trishw78 wrote: »
    on my way home last night I decided i'd that way there were alot of flowers at/near the scene, very sad. i'm surprised that they didn't ask the travelling community as they've set up camp just up the road from there. and when i say set up I mean set up camp. but that's a different topic

Travellers are there a while.. and much further up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

trishw78 wrote: »
    on my way home last night I decided i'd that way there were alot of flowers at/near the scene, very sad. i'm surprised that they didn't ask the travelling community as they've set up camp just up the road from there. and when i say set up I mean set up camp. but that's a different topic

You mean they're illegaly camped?:confused:

They're not that far from the junction, they would have heard something.

Yeap, and there's a garda not living that far away form them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

RIP Kenny. You were one nice young fella.

im confused by this myself... the lights on an R1 are pretty good so i don't understand how he didn't see him... Pulling out from Gorteens junction there's a good straight stretch either side of the junction with good visibility so even if Kenneth was moving fast I would assume he would still be seen easily.

I'm not trying to apportion blame just trying to understand how the tragedy occured

Was down there yesterday, the speed limit has dropped to 80km/hr and even 50km/hr in places. Is that since or before the accident?

Judging by the flowers I assume he was leaving the port back towards Waterford which to me seems the car pulled out of the junction to quickly and nobody had time to stop to prevent an accident? Again, just trying to figure out how it happened on such a decent stretch of road.

It happened to a lad I know from college on the new ross road - driving along probably fairly fast on his bike when a car pulled out from a junction. Luckily he wasnt killed and got away with minor injuries. However in that case, it was the lad in the cars fault for pulling out to quick / early - but he couldnt see due to the sun being in his eyes. Happens to the best of us I suppose

Was down there yesterday, the speed limit has dropped to 80km/hr and even 50km/hr in places. Is that since or before the accident?

No these speed limits have been in place for a while now. I believe they are something to do with the new bypass. Definitly nothing to do with the accident
    It happened to a lad I know from college on the new ross road - driving along probably fairly fast on his bike when a car pulled out from a junction. Luckily he wasnt killed and got away with minor injuries. However in that case, it was the lad in the cars fault for pulling out to quick / early - but he couldnt see due to the sun being in his eyes. Happens to the best of us I suppose

Its a worrying comment that you think it happens to the best of us... the sun in your eyes is no excuse for pulling out blindly onto a road and wipe out someone on a motorbike

Judging by the flowers I assume he was leaving the port back towards Waterford which to me seems the car pulled out of the junction to quickly and nobody had time to stop to prevent an accident? Again, just trying to figure out how it happened on such a decent stretch of road.

He was heading down towards the port at high speed. He overtook a pal of mine further back up the road, and he heard the crash before he got down to that part of the road,

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I meant its very common to be blinded on the road, and pull out thinking its okay. It happens a lot, but we dont hear about it as its never anything serious.

Saying that, if you cant see your not supposed to go. How many of us listen?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    He was heading down towards the port at high speed. He overtook a pal of mine further back up the road, and he heard the crash before he got down to that part of the road,

The flowers are on the opposite side of the road though..

The flowers are on the opposite side of the road though..

Dont want to sound bad though, but thats where he ended up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Speed was a huge factor in him being unable to react in time. Also, as he was wearing a helmet, he had a restricted field of vision meaning he saw the car later than he would if he was driving a car.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Dont want to sound bad though, but thats where he ended up

Fair point.

Advertisement