Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raise in cancer?

• 13-12-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it me or has there been a significant raise in cancer cases. In the last 2 months I have had 4 friends diagnosed with the Big C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Jesus.

Did they have a family history of cancer or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

dbnavan wrote: »
    Just wondering is it me or has there been a significant raise in cancer cases. In the last 2 months I have had 4 friends diagnosed with the Big C.

can't say for sure none of my friends have been diagnosed with it this year (thankfully!)
    But thats just in my case it could be different for others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

dublindude wrote: »
    Jesus.

Did they have a family history of cancer or anything like that?

None of them related,
    1 personal friend
    1 Work client
    2 mothers of seperate friends

All currently having Chemo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Sorry to hear that OP, are they all treatable ?

I lost a good mate to Cancer in summer 06, she was only 32, with 2 kids.

Shocking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's terrible... Do you live near a nuclear bomb testing site, or something? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

DaveMcG wrote: »
    That's terrible... Do you live near a nuclear bomb testing site, or something? :(

Not unless the Irish government have one hidden in Meath and havent told anyone, although raises major questions over sellafield IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I suppose all the nuclear testing doesn't help though

"The total amount of plutonium-239 released to the atmosphere as a result of the 23 atmospheric nuclear tests [by China] is estimated at 3,300 curies, approximately 48 kilograms in weight. One millionth of a gram of plutonium-239, if inhaled can cause cancer"

add another 900 tests in Nevada , n a bit of Sellafield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Unfortunately there has been a significant measurable rise in cancer over the years.

There's many statistics out there and they all show an upwards trend. The only possible good part of this is that the detction rate and survival rates have also increased.

I'm not a medical person, but have been affected by it recently (family members) and have spent a fair bit of time searching the web for information.

I hope your friends get through it, a lot of people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Not unless the Irish government have one hidden in Meath and havent told anyone, although raises major questions over sellafield IMO

Well, it's worth considering the effect that Chernobyl may have had on Europe. And microwaves being beamed on us 24/7 from satellites/cell phones cant be good either. Add in the chemical cocktails in our ****ty food... well, it's a wonder any of us make it to 30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kernel wrote: »
    And microwaves being beamed on us 24/7 from satellites/cell phones cant be good either.
    They have no effect whatsoever.

I would imagine any increase in cancer rates can be largely attributed to increased detection rates. Cancer has been with us for thousands of years but detection and diagnosis of it have only become a massive thing in the last fifty years.
    They don't perform autopsies on everyone, so anyone who may have died from cancer in the past over the age of 40 or 50, may have just been put down as "causes unknown" or "natural causes".

We are exposed to less toxins than years gone by, we work less hard, we live longer lives and we go to the doctor more often. All indicators say that we are much healthier than we have ever been. So I don't accept that suddenly cancer rates have skyrocketed. Detection rates have skyrocketed.

The only major problem facing us is obesity. At least when people worked hard and died young, they got a lot of exercise and didn't have too much to eat. Now that obesity has been linked with cancer, perhaps there's an impact there, but I haven't seen any study linking a proportionate increase in cancer rates with anything. I don't think we will either - we have little if any reliable information on cancer rates before the fifties and sixties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

Hi all,

My wife was diagnosed with throat cancer when we came back from honeymoon in September. The surgeon in the Mater told us he has never seen this type of Cancer in anybody my wifes age in his entire career making her a case study.

Detection rates been on the increase will not account for the staggering increase we are currently seeing unfold in Ireland today. I've been doing a lot of reading and a lot of thinking on how and why this is happening and I've come up with a few notions on the subject.

Following WW 2 the western world have become more and more dependent on processed food contain all kinds of junk the body had never ingested b4 Aspartame,artificial sweetener 200 times sweeter than sugar. Funny thing about Aspartame is that the FDA in the States keep it out of foods due to the animal tests which resulted in the development of cancer and fits in lab rats for many years.

Now Aspartame was developed by a company owned by our good friend Donald Rumsfeld (sorry I'm a bad speller) and he stood to make millions from it's introduction into food. Things weren't going well for Donald cause these folks at the FDA! To ensure Donald got his millions he got Ronald Regan to sack the head of the FDA when he became president! Aspartame was licensed despite overwhelming evidence that it causes cancer. But what cancer between good buddies like like Ronald and Donald. So as the story goes donald made even more millions.(good for him)

Now take a look at every pack of chewing gum and every soft drink and see if the natural sugar has been replaced with Aspartame? In fact you find it in every pre-made meal from the supermarket along with tones of salts and other chemicals a growing boy needs.

Pre WW2 the technology to process food to any real degree didn't exist but if the troops need to be fed it wont take long to develop preservatives and chemicals to enhance the flavor and shelf life of foods. Think about it folks when was the last time you had a meal where nothing came from a packet?

Now I'm no expert but exposing fruit and veg to radiation to keep it fresher longer and spraying food with wax so it looks nice might not be the best time for the people who eat it. The only people who will benefit will be those selling the ****E!

GM food where do you begin with that! I'll be back with some proper info re GM and more on additives for you all to consider. I believe 100% we are being poisoned by the types of foods we eat and this is the single reason for the increase in cancer. Oh there might be another link to consider and that vaccinations take the time to google vaccinations and have a look at whats in them.

To explain why I think the rate are on the up are simple none of this existed pre ww2 and I believe we are now reaping the rewards of interfering with nature and our food remember you are what you eat!

Sorry about the spelling!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html

http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/

http://www.relfe.com/vaccine.html

http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccine.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I remember reading somewhere that Meath was hit bad with the Chernobol (spelling?) fall out. If your worried about that I think the army observor corp monitored the fall out at the time, contact them.

I'm not saying this will work but nothing ventured nothing gained

http://www.1cure4cancer.com/

Also if you want to be a help to your friends I would strongly recommend a book by Bernadette Bohan called The Choice an amazing lady whom along with therapy and a few changes in lifestyle beat cancer twice.

http://www.changesimply.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Just wondering - Is there any way to do a full check up for every type of cancer in the hospital, or they only do it on specific parts or your body if you feel pain, etc.? Reading this threads make me paranoid now! If there is the possibility to do a full check against cancers I would go for it!

TripleAce wrote: »
    Just wondering - Is there any way to do a full check up for every type of cancer in the hospital, or they only do it on specific parts or your body if you feel pain, etc.? Reading this threads make me paranoid now! If there is the possibility to do a full check against cancers I would go for it!

Don't be frightened TripleAce fears not good for the body. I think some health insurance providers will allow for screening. My mother went for a scan this week her sister has bowel cancer not sure how she arranged it I ask when I see her next.

Start with you GP I know for sure ours saved Maries life she had what she thought was an infection it didn't clear with antibiotics so she got refered for a biopsy. Thankfully it's fairly early stage so very hopeful when in doubt get it checked.

BTW i think certain cancers are caused by the bodies immune system so not a bad idea to support it in anyway you can plenty of vitamin C and the like. Fresh food, organic where possible remember most veg in the supermarket is forced feed a chemical cocktail avoid it as best as you can.

bushy... wrote: »
    I suppose all the nuclear testing doesn't help though

"The total amount of plutonium-239 released to the atmosphere as a result of the 23 atmospheric nuclear tests [by China] is estimated at 3,300 curies, approximately 48 kilograms in weight. One millionth of a gram of plutonium-239, if inhaled can cause cancer"

add another 900 tests in Nevada , n a bit of Sellafield

Could be wrong but i think cancer rates in china are lower than most countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I agree with justcallmetex - I think that the rates have risen and although some of it is due to better detection, this doesn't explain all of it.

I also think that our preoccupation with processed, treated and irradiated food is one of the main reasons, but obviously can't prove it.

The same goes for GM food - don't forget the probelms we've had before when we try to interfere with the food chain (such as the link from mad cow coming from feeding sheep to cows).

We don't know the full extent of the impact each time we make seemingly minor changes and it keeps catching us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could be wrong but i think cancer rates in china are lower than most countries.
    Yip, better diet ( health-wise) , i quoted it as an idea vs. the 900 tests in Nevada /2000 tests worldwide.

OK been doing a little more digging last night and found some stuff that altho it may not be true is frightening!

75% of doc's would refuse Chemo ---- http://www.curenaturalicancro.com/2-physicians-refuse-chemo.html

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Merk drug company injecting cancer viruses in vaccines
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=327_1195303011

GM food is there to GM you!
    http://www.enn.com/health/article/26199
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

Dying For A Diet Coke? By Chris Wheeler
    New Zealand
    10-26-7
    " ... I am a Pediatrician, a Professor of Pediatrics at Emory, and have spent 25 years in the biomedical science, trying to prevent mental retardation and birth defects caused by excess phenylalanine.. . . . . .I have considerable concern for the increased dissemination and consumption of the sweetener, aspartame, (1-methyl N-L-a-aspartyl-L- phenylalanine) in our world food supply. This artificial dipeptide is hydrolyzed by the intestinal tract to produce L-phenylalanine which in excess is a known neurotoxin. Normal humans do not metabolize phenylalanine as efficiently as do lower species such as rodents and thus most of the previous studies in Aspartame effects on rats are irrelevant to the question, 'Does phenylalanine excess occur with Aspartame ingestion?'" Statement by Louis J. Elsas, II, M.D., Professor of Pediatrics, before the USA Senate Committee of Labor and Human Resources on the subject "Nutrasweet: Health and safety concerns", November 3, 1987. Professor Elsas blew the warning whistle on that popular diet sweetener, aspartame or Additive 951, some 20 years ago now. As he stressed at the time, the rat studies which were used to prove aspartames safety are inappropriate because human beings are not rats, a point which New Zealand and Australian food safety regulators, toxicologists, doctors and politicians still refuse to recognise. We, in possession of a bit more elementary commonsense, may choose to differ on the point of whether we are all being treated as the real laboratory rats by the time the sad but also absurd - tale of aspartame is finally spelled out in these pages. Rats are, of course, the basis of food safety science. We cant afford to kill human beings in the course of supporting food industry profiteering. We use the poor rats and dogs, cats, rabbits and monkeys as part of our sad experiments that have seen some 80,000 toxic chemicals introduced for our convenience over the past 60 years by industry with often the barest attention paid to long- term health outcomes for actual human beings. Rats are in a sense - our surrogate consumer advocates: they die on the Cross of science for our sins and bad science makes sinners of us all. In the meantime it has often become difficult to find anyone in our immediate circle of friends who is really well, while a familiar pattern has developed of alarming new diseases and disorders developing at earlier and earlier ages alongside endemic infertility, an increased rate of birth defects and children and even babies falling sick with cancer something previously unknown to our forefathers. But so familiar are we with the sea of synthetic chemicals washing around us we never attribute blame to them, in fact we even add them to our food to enhance flavour, mouth feel, smell, colour and, of course, sweetness the thing we use aspartame for instead of ordinary old sugar or honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

human beings are not rats, a point which New Zealand and Australian food safety regulators, toxicologists, doctors and politicians still refuse to recognise.

heheheh that's my fave line in ages.

Seriously though mate. You can find whatever info you like on the net.

I have no objection to you telling people diet coke will give them cancer. But telling people vaccines will is scaremongering, and has potential public health implications.

This topic and those bogey websites crop up every so often on the biology/medicine forum.

There isn't a shred of good quality evidence to suggest vaccines cause cancer, regardless of what a website says.

Just rememeber that being published on the web doesn't make it true.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    heheheh that's my fave line in ages.

Seriously though mate. You can find whatever info you like on the net.

I have no objection to you telling people diet coke will give them cancer. But telling people vaccines will is scaremongering, and has potential public health implications.

This topic and those bogey websites crop up every so often on the biology/medicine forum.

There isn't a shred of good quality evidence to suggest vaccines cause cancer, regardless of what a website says.

Just rememeber that being published on the web doesn't make it true.

Not saying diet coke is killing everybody read back previous post it's part of the problem what Aspartame dose is illistrate that companies looking to make money will put any **** in or food and vaccinations to make money.

BTW I know the difference between scaremongering and good info.

If you believe pharmaceutical companies have the best interests of public health at heart your very very wrong the only interest they have is the same one as any multi trillion dollar business and thats to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Do these four people live near eachother? My boyfriend lives in an area with a very high radon count and this seems to have affected women that live in the area. His neighbour 2 doors down died in her late thirties/early forties, his next door neighbour (the other side) died in her late forties and his own mother died 2 years ago aged 51.
    http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/radon.html

I really hope all four make a successful recovery and are feeling good again soon. x

Jeapy wrote: »
    Do these four people live near eachother? My boyfriend lives in an area with a very high radon count and this seems to have affected women that live in the area. His neighbour 2 doors down died in her late thirties/early forties, his next door neighbour (the other side) died in her late forties and his own mother died 2 years ago aged 51.
    http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/radon.html

I really hope all four make a successful recovery and are feeling good again soon. x

Is there any sort of map detailing radon hot spots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Is there any sort of map detailing radon hot spots?

yep

http://www.theradoncentre.com/radoninireland.htm

If you believe pharmaceutical companies have the best interests of public health at heart your very very wrong the only interest they have is the same one as any multi trillion dollar business and thats to make money.

You're aware that it's not pharma companies who monitor the the safety and long term effect of vaccines, though, aren't you?

Thanks! Seems very concentrated in the west. Would anybody know how effective the radon lining is in the foundations of newer houses?

I often wonder about radon. My wife lost her father 3 years ago to cancer. Liver and Lung in fact and he never drank or smoked a day in his life. The very same cancer killed her aunt her dads sister she was a nun. Now my wife has it on her throat they all lived in the same house for a lot of their lives.

Thanks again for the links

• Advertisement

Didn't no that but it's not really relevant the suspected side affects of certain drugs wont be know for perhaps another generation.

Would like to think that chemical interference in our immune system was the answer all the disease out there but, well ya know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Nobody worked up here buddy. Wanna contribute to the discussion?

Didn't no that but it's not really relevant the suspected side affects of certain drugs wont be know for perhaps another generation.

Would like to think that chemical interference in our immune system was the answer all the disease out there but, well ya know...

Vaccines have been round for an awful long time, mate. Why do you think it would neccessarily take 40 years for a side effect to show up? Are you aware of many drugs where that is the case?

"chemical interference in our immune system" aka vaccination has made the 2nd largest contribution to improved global healthcare (after improved access to clean water) in the last 150 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I don't think that scaremongering helps anyone who has cancer, you have to fight it, there is no point in saying what if. I got oesophageal cancer at 32 and had to fight to get diagnosed but I have to accept it as one of those things, I am still alive and am very great of every day that I have even though I know that I may not have much longer.

Btw scaremongering is not the issue the reason I mention additives and vaccinations is to illistrate the fact that we as modern day humans tend to ingest vast amounts of chemicals that our bodies have never consumed before. If we are dealing with a sharp increase in cancers of all sorts PERHAPS this could be some form of explaination as to why. Nobody knows why and I'm no expert as to why so many people are dealing with cancer just throwing out some ideas which I think need to be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yes, my uncle is under the knife today. If things go good, he will have a bad limp for the rest of his life. If it goes bad, his leg is coming off, if it's the worst he's got 3 months.

My head is phucked today.

That said, lots of people I know have been diagnosed with it recently apart from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

layke wrote: »
    Yes, my uncle is under the knife today. If things go good, he will have a bad limp for the rest of his life. If it goes bad, his leg is coming off, if it's the worst he's got 3 months.

My head is phucked today.

That said, lots of people I know have been diagnosed with it recently apart from him.

Sorry to hear that layke:(
    I really hope things work out for him.

Cancer seems to have exploding quite recently, I know about 4 people that have/were diagnosed in the last two years.
    My uncle died about 3 months ago from this bastard disease.

Advertisement