Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the dreaded mocks...

Options
  • 13-12-2007 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

just a random thot.... just realised dat some ppl do there mocks for ther xmas exams.... anybody out there have them done.... if so .... any hints..... or is dat cheatin.....?!?!?!?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

betsymagoo wrote: »
    just a random thot.... just realised dat some ppl do there mocks for ther xmas exams.... anybody out there have them done.... if so .... any hints..... or is dat cheatin.....?!?!?!?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The mocks should emulate the real deal or else you won't gain anything through doing them. Go swallow your courses if you want to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Learn to spell!
    And it's going to be said at some stage down the line so i might as well get the ball rolling. The mocks are there to see how you're progressing with your study and to give you a kick in the arse if you're not progressing as you should be, it's kind of stupid "cheating" in them, it'll give you a false sense of well being. I did my L.C last year and had a friend get an A1 in business for the mocks, he got it into his head that he was grand, and i kid you not, he did no more study for business, he went from an A1 to a B3, And that's not something you want to see come results day. My advice would be just to continue studying as you are and just go for it.

Alan,

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Really?? :confused: I didn't know that.

I am doing some tests but they are my Christmas exams not mocks. My mocks don't start until Jan 31st(I think)

Anyways, mock papers are not all the same. But, if you do get hold of a mock paper, it may help to give you an idea of what will be on your one, maybe.. Teachers order them from all different companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Am i the only one that studies more with a higher grade? Seriously if i get lower than i expected i kind of tend to dislike the subject :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

LayLay wrote: »
    Really?? :confused: I didn't know that.

I am doing some tests but they are my Christmas exams not mocks. My mocks don't start until Jan 31st(I think)

Anyways, mock papers are not all the same. But, if you do get hold of a mock paper, it may help to give you an idea of what will be on your one, maybe.. Teachers order them from all different companies.
    All of 2 companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I did the leaving last year but whatever you do, don't cheat on the mocks. They're there for a reason and cheating will only give you a false sense of security never mind weakening your exam technique for the real thing.

On top of all this, so what if you fail things in the mocks? They're not real and teachers can't force you to drop levels even if they're right in suggesting that you do. And no school will dole out detentions for people not doing well, so what reason if left to cheat in them?

Don't be a tool, OP. As said, cram your courses and hope for the best if indeed you are having mocks next week - something I'd doubt. Also based on your post I think I'd recommend OL English ;) - boards rules also disallow txtspk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

alan4cult wrote: »
    All of 2 companies.

yeah but how many papers do they publish a year, FECKIN loads of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

reading some of the posts i had to reply to SAVE YOU FROM YOURSELVES!!! LOL

no seriously wtf? DON'T cheat in your mocks, what is the point in that? so you can convince yourself and your teacher that you did "well".

who gives a crap what you get in the mocks?

use them firstly for TIME & secondly as practice NOT TO FREAK OUT.

that is there only use.

you won't have everything covered so just try and write down everything you do know as clearly and convincingly as possible.

don't try and find out what's on other people mocks. if your not doing enough study you will need that dodgy result/results to give you a kick to do more/better.

if they are before the mid-term (as only they should be) DO NOTHING DURING THE MID-TERM. well that's if you actually worked for them. if you were a lazy bum then use the mid-term to review the mock papers so you are prepared for them when they come back.

if they are after the mid-term (you poor things) then take a week off study after them. just do your homework and nothing else. you NEED THE REST.

hope that helps!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We do two accouting mocks...onein Feb along with the rest of the subjects and another one at Easter...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

my mocks start tomorrow:eek:..English paper 1 tomorrow morining,Maths paper 1 in the evening and Irish paper 1 and the aural on Thurday morning..then im finished for xmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

oh datz crap so close to xmas..... tell us all afterwards.... only joking.... mocks is a learning experience.... i have learned my lesson.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

Randomness wrote: »
    if they are before the mid-term (as only they should be) DO NOTHING DURING THE MID-TERM. well that's if you actually worked for them

roll on midterm!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

I have mine after the mid term:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Da Bomber wrote: »
    I have mine after the mid term:(

although it'll be good to get study done, hope i have mine before, so i can celebrate during it!!;):D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

SRFC90 wrote: »
    although it'll be good to get study done, hope i have mine before, so i can celebrate during it!!;):D;)

Maybe,but i could see myself doing more study if it was before the break, i just wont be able motivate myself when i have so many distractions and such good drinkin opportunities:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Mine start on the 28th of January. Not dreading them really, but not particularly looking forward to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ill let you's in on a secret, that i shouldnt tell, but what the hell. After I complete the LC I was talking to 1 of my teachers afterwards who admitted that the teachers tend to mark the mocks a little bit harder than the LC to knock any cockiness out of people and to basically get the students to feel like saying, "rudy hell, better get the finger out". I remember, the whole class getting hammered in the mocks, me included, despite being well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Da Bomber wrote: »
    Maybe,but i could see myself doing more study if it was before the break, i just wont be able motivate myself when i have so many distractions and such good drinkin opportunities:D

that's what i said!!! mock before......scoops after......

just found out that mine are after though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Ill let you's in on a secret, that i shouldnt tell, but what the hell. After I complete the LC I was talking to 1 of my teachers afterwards who admitted that the teachers tend to mark the mocks a little bit harder than the LC to knock any cockiness out of people and to basically get the students to feel like saying, "rudy hell, better get the finger out". I remember, the whole class getting hammered in the mocks, me included, despite being well prepared.

Not strictly true. I write and correct mock papers and I correct according to the marking scheme, if it's correct the student gets the marks. Most students haven't studied the full course in most subjects by the time they do the mocks so it's hard to get a high mark, also they haven't fine tuned the art of answering exam questions and leave out vital information or interpret the question incorrectly. In a subject like English where essays and opinions are required it may be easier to mark a little harder but in sciences/accounting etc it is either right or wrong.

Anyway there are a lot of people out there correcting mocks who are not qualified teachers (eg college students) who may not be familiar with the course and therefore can't correct a question accurately if an answer is presented that is not exactly like the one in the marking scheme, hence the appearance that the paper is marked harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Wow thats suprising but must admit it makes sense

but im also sure it depends on the teacher and like rainbowtrout said theres some subjects were you really can't mark harder in and have to give it a right or wrong asnwer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Not strictly true. I write and correct mock papers and I correct according to the marking scheme, if it's correct the student gets the marks. Most students haven't studied the full course in most subjects by the time they do the mocks so it's hard to get a high mark, also they haven't fine tuned the art of answering exam questions and leave out vital information or interpret the question incorrectly. In a subject like English where essays and opinions are required it may be easier to mark a little harder but in sciences/accounting etc it is either right or wrong.

Anyway there are a lot of people out there correcting mocks who are not qualified teachers (eg college students) who may not be familiar with the course and therefore can't correct a question accurately if an answer is presented that is not exactly like the one in the marking scheme, hence the appearance that the paper is marked harder.

Just passing on the message. :) In our school, it was our own teachers that marked our mocks. I remember with Maths, the teacher was savage hard, giving almost no marks for decent attempts whereby you would be 3/4 of the way towards getting the right answer only to make small errors near the end. This trend was continued into physics and chemistry among others subjects as well.

As rainbowtrout says though, I believe different schools will work differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

so did anyone do there mocks yet..... hard or easy...... how did you all get on.... any sticky subjects...????

T-minus 3 weeks and counting, theres on during my 18th and all

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

so did anyone do there mocks yet..... hard or easy...... how did you all get on.... any sticky subjects...????

I did my mocks just before Christmas. According to our principal we're the only school in Ireland to have full mocks that early ... not sure if this is the case actually, kind of curious about that.

But yeah, it was a bit ridiculous at times, not having finished most of the courses fully, but we got a full mock nonetheless, in all subjects. The only difference from most schools was that our teachers put them together theirselves... from various older sample papers, as far as I know. And our teachers obviously correct the papers themselves, then.

Haven't gotten all my results back so far, but as it stands - B3 in Physics, B2 in English and French, and B1 in Irish. I think music was fine... not really looking forward to getting Maths and Applied maths back, though.

I didn't find them that bad really... well, I basically crammed as much as I could into my head in such a short amount of time, since we had so little time to study properly. I found them incredibly tiring, but they're really over before you know it. They're not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

alan4cult wrote: »
    All of 2 companies.

Wrong, there's about 10. Though the most commonly used are DEB and Exam Craft, but others are used too, so don't be caught out. I think they are marked harder, especially when getting the papers back. I jumped 100 points, so did nearly everyone else I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Yuugib wrote: »
    Am i the only one that studies more with a higher grade? Seriously if i get lower than i expected i kind of tend to dislike the subject :(
    Omg! That is me!! Haha:rolleyes: Or else I'll study really hard for something and do bad in it and then I'll get annoyed and won't study for anything for a week or two until I'm less pissed off haha!:D

meeka wrote: »
    I did my mocks just before Christmas. According to our principal we're the only school in Ireland to have full mocks that early ... not sure if this is the case actually, kind of curious about that.

But yeah, it was a bit ridiculous at times, not having finished most of the courses fully, but we got a full mock nonetheless, in all subjects. The only difference from most schools was that our teachers put them together theirselves... from various older sample papers, as far as I know. And our teachers obviously correct the papers themselves, then.

Haven't gotten all my results back so far, but as it stands - B3 in Physics, B2 in English and French, and B1 in Irish. I think music was fine... not really looking forward to getting Maths and Applied maths back, though.

I didn't find them that bad really... well, I basically crammed as much as I could into my head in such a short amount of time, since we had so little time to study properly. I found them incredibly tiring, but they're really over before you know it. They're not that bad.
    Thats some very impressive scores for the pre's mate

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

kkumk wrote: »
    Omg! That is me!! Haha:rolleyes: Or else I'll study really hard for something and do bad in it and then I'll get annoyed and won't study for anything for a week or two until I'm less pissed off haha!:D

omgosh :D pissed off part is sooo true! :p i guess its going to be long time since i ll start studyin again after the mocks :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stuck!!

i am really lookin for a link to the o/l math paper 2 dor DEB
    please can someone help!!:)

Advertisement