Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - tail touch?

Options
  • 13-12-2007 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Had heard in the news that a Ryanair flight to Manchester (I think) yesterday morning was a little eager to take to the sky and ended up hitting the tail off the runway on takeoff. Just wondered if this a common occurrence at airports? :eek:

Edit:
    Been looking on youtube, and there are a few posted alright!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Shít happens, its reasonably common.

Aircraft are built to take a bit of scraping in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive seen some videos of the testing they put aircraft through while developing, a few on the A380. They make sure they can take a "bump" or "scrape" before they become active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

ciarsd wrote: »
    Been looking on youtube, and there are a few posted alright!

links please ...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Search for tailstrike, there's quite a few.

• Advertisement

WexCan wrote: »
    Search for tailstrike, there's quite a few.

Yes there are a few but I'm looking for Ryanair related.

Think OP meant there were a few tailstrike vids posted, indicating that it's a (reasonably) common occurence.

I've been flying as crew for well over a year now and have only had one minor scrape. Felt a bit of a bump but continued on, no major damage.

A lot depends on aircraft type. Low-sitting aircraft like the 737 are more prone to tailstrikes, as are the likes of the A321 (and other "stretched" aircraft types).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The DC8-80's were very prone to this, they had very obvious ' skids' built in.

I have never actually felt/seen it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Concorde had a set of wheels at the back of the aircraft, to protect the airframe from tail strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks for the info. folks - had heard of it once before. Having looked on youtube when I posted this thread last night, it is apparent that it is a 'common' occurrence for the want of a better term.

@ ian_m - WexCan took me up correctly, I meant aircraft in general on youtube, not just Ryanair.

Thanks for the insight :)

• Advertisement

I can't seem to find anything in the news about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Was in the papers - can't remember which one now, either of these 3 (Metro, Herald, Times).

gatecrash wrote: »
    Concorde had a set of wheels at the back of the aircraft, to protect the airframe from tail strikes

As seen here...

Lovely plane. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Wow....they really WERE loud :p Still, 'tis a great shame that they aren't in use.

I remember being a young spotter, over at Heathrow for the day and seeing Concorde land over me. Amazing, but deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

ian_m wrote: »
    As seen here...

I would say that that's not a wheel at the rear of the aircraft but a retractable tail skid that extends whenever the landing gear is extended like on a B767.

It's a wheel, but it's retractable.

faq6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

WexCan wrote: »
    It's a wheel, but it's retractable.

faq6.jpg

Dammit!!

You beat me to it!

I was about to go all medieval (within the boards rules of course) on his ass!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I stand corrected!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement