Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsInformation.ie (a take on citizensinformation.ie)

Options
  • 13-12-2007 11:42pm

6th's thread reminded me of something else I thought about putting out there...

On this website you have varying amounts of information floating around the place. It's a fantastic mine of information. Say, in the Edu forums, someone is asking about a certain course. Often you'd get a few people to reply to this, and the thread continues until it eventually dies, or lies dormant. In the Accommodation forum, someone else finds out about renting rights. In the Learning to Drive forum, someone finds about good places to learn to drive. M&NTS, mature students. Etc. etc. etc. Over the entire website there's a huge amount of information mentioned which is benefical to people, and which (barring google searches) isn't immediately apparent, and is often lost in other posts on the thread.

So... how about collating it? Collating specifically the most helpful posts on boards.ie? Would it be possible to place every single bit of information which is benefical to someone on one website, without having someone to go searching for it? Perhaps for each topic to become the no.1 place for information in Ireland? I'm quite unsure as to what would be the best method of doing such a mammoth task, but might it be something boards.ie should consider? Say, have a section on 'Finance & Accounting' which would give a rundown of what's involved, how you'd get involved in Finance & Accounting as a career, information on various sections mentioned on the forums, and at the very end if someone would want to ask another question, they'd be pointed to the various forums.

Am I making sense? Feel free to criticise, it's an idea that I've have brooding on for some time so I'm looking forward to a discussion on it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Like a Wiki?

Perhaps a, but not the :). I'd have gone to the boards wiki for information about boards, not for information in general first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Support +1 million for this.
    I've often noticed this, that boards is almost like a collective well of information, with nearly every question (excluding "why am I so hairy" theads) being answered. I always wondered if there was a way to harness that sea of knowledge, but I was never sure how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gordon wrote: »
    Like a Wiki?
    bikipedia?

I think its a good idea, but I shudder to think how we are going to judge the best information. Star ratings? Whose experience are we going to base it on? A general consensus? Is someone going to go out and verify information? Would it be a case of essentially turning what are currently stickies into full fledged articles?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

but we have a wiki, people just need to add stuff to it...including me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

We have a wiki.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Main_Page

It is a good idea and it is very easy to put common questions onto the related document. Some forums do this already. For example.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions_about_Shooting

Each section also has a threads of fame. Not everyone uses it but it is there.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Board:All_Things_Retro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

And remember with so many opinions floating around on here, it could get a bit messy.

People can always search the forums/use the wiki.

Advertisement