Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl SatNav on Thurs 20th Dec '07

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

thanks bertie, but that all sounds a bit complicated :(
    think i'll just have to live with a lack of POIs or i could just move east!

best of luck tryin to figure out a simple way

Actually, I'm making progress on it, strangely enough? :):rolleyes:
    Either that shows incredible willpower on my half, or I'm just plain stubborn.
    For anyone who is interested and has on of the LIDL units have a look at one of you "bookmarks" in the prefs.europe XML file.
    The 11 digit "geopos" in particular.
    Altering the 1st digit has no affect on the location on the map. Changing the 2nd digit does.
    Switching from an upper-case to lower case moves the location, as does moving up or down the alphabet.
    In one of my locations the 2nd digit was "H", by changing the letter i got the following results, I used Goo***-Earth to guess / estimate the distance shift.
    G = 25mtr West
    F = 50mtr West
    j = 75mtr West
    i = 100mtr West
    h 125mtr West
    g 150mtr West
    I = 25mtr East
    J = 50mtr East
    f = 200mtr East
    There is a trend developing somewhere in this (the spanner in the works is the "f" value).
    What I intend to do over the next while is map each character shift, for each of the remaining Geopos Characters, plot them to a scatter plot and see what jumps out at me. As with most encryption/encoding there has to be a key, finding it is the fun part.
    If I can get this done over the next few days I'll post details, maybe a separate link to the findings, as that will be a seriously long post, even by my standards.
    Anyway, from playing around I know that moving other characters results in greater shifts on the maps, so by the careful application of logic and reason, and a lot of swear words it should be able to figure out what changes are required to get a shift of X km x Y KM (or Lat/Long)from a known location, then (fingers crossed) it should be possible to work out how this can be used to convert known POI lat/long to Smart2Go / Silvercrest format.
    However, from what I have done so far I know that the Lat/Long encoded is the silvercrest is odd, I had expected the format to be DD.MM.SS but as the 2nd character chages are so small I'm speculating that these respond to SS changes.
    I've more to do over the weekend, and Work, and overhauling the brake calipers on the jeep, and starting (another) OU Course, so progress might slow down, and I havn't been kiting in ages and it's getting windy.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slamdunkrookie

b.harte wrote: »
    Actually, I'm making progress on it, strangely enough? :):rolleyes:
    Either that shows incredible willpower on my half, or I'm just plain stubborn.
    For anyone who is interested and has on of the LIDL units have a look at one of you "bookmarks" in the prefs.europe XML file.
    The 11 digit "geopos" in particular.
    Altering the 1st digit has no affect on the location on the map. Changing the 2nd digit does.
    Switching from an upper-case to lower case moves the location, as does moving up or down the alphabet.
    In one of my locations the 2nd digit was "H", by changing the letter i got the following results, I used Goo***-Earth to guess / estimate the distance shift.
    G = 25mtr West
    F = 50mtr West
    j = 75mtr West
    i = 100mtr West
    h 125mtr West
    g 150mtr West
    I = 25mtr East
    J = 50mtr East
    f = 200mtr East
    There is a trend developing somewhere in this (the spanner in the works is the "f" value).
    What I intend to do over the next while is map each character shift, for each of the remaining Geopos Characters, plot them to a scatter plot and see what jumps out at me. As with most encryption/encoding there has to be a key, finding it is the fun part.
    If I can get this done over the next few days I'll post details, maybe a separate link to the findings, as that will be a seriously long post, even by my standards.
    Anyway, from playing around I know that moving other characters results in greater shifts on the maps, so by the careful application of logic and reason, and a lot of swear words it should be able to figure out what changes are required to get a shift of X km x Y KM (or Lat/Long)from a known location, then (fingers crossed) it should be possible to work out how this can be used to convert known POI lat/long to Smart2Go / Silvercrest format.
    However, from what I have done so far I know that the Lat/Long encoded is the silvercrest is odd, I had expected the format to be DD.MM.SS but as the 2nd character chages are so small I'm speculating that these respond to SS changes.
    I've more to do over the weekend, and Work, and overhauling the brake calipers on the jeep, and starting (another) OU Course, so progress might slow down, and I havn't been kiting in ages and it's getting windy.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Bertie

Hi,
    Found this thread. May be its helpful to you.
    http://www.n95users.com/forum/third-party-apps/2280-importing-pois-nokia-n95-like-speed-cameras-etc.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Option81

Hi guys,
    Are you finding the bluetooth ok on this. I can make outgoing calls from the sat nav and all is ok. However, If I make the call from the phone, there is no transmission from the sat nav speaker or microphone even though they are paired and the phone indicates call is on bluetooth. Funny thing is, this works sometimes.

Option81

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Option81 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Are you finding the bluetooth ok on this. I can make outgoing calls from the sat nav and all is ok. However, If I make the call from the phone, there is no transmission from the sat nav speaker or microphone even though they are paired and the phone indicates call is on bluetooth. Funny thing is, this works sometimes.

Option81

I get the exact same. Ive just had to ring numbers i can remember. Its a poor job that you cant ring from your phone and use the hands free sat nav. I think it might of worked once for me though. I prefer when it either works, or doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 espero

Hello,

I bought the GPS Silvercrest E3510T from Lidl France
    which seems to have the same soft as your M4310T machine.
    The problem with our french model is that by default (factory settings)
    we haven't activated any speedcam map and alert... (while other GPS models has).

We are now trying to find a solution in activating french, but also
    other country's speedcam alert maps.

I would like to ask you, if you already managed to install speedcams for other countries on your M4310T, and how?

Did you understand how these maps are built and working? which is their format? (necessary .cdt files
    or others?). How we can create or save such a .cdt files? (it is the smart2go special format?)

Any help is welcome!

Thanks you in advance.

• Advertisement

espero wrote: »
    Hello,

The problem with our french model is that by default (factory settings)
    we haven't activated any speedcam map and alert... (while other GPS models has).

We are now trying to find a solution in activating french, but also
    other country's speedcam alert maps.

I would like to ask you, if you already managed to install speedcams for other countries on your M4310T, and how?

Did you understand how these maps are built and working? which is their format? (necessary .cdt files
    or others?). How we can create or save such a .cdt files? (it is the smart2go special format?)

Any help is welcome!

Thanks you in advance.

Hi espero,
    So far I have met with little success in this area.
    I have been working on a solution for the last while, with a little success.
    The problem lies with the encoded geopos used in the Smart2go software.
    Even if I can figure out how to convert standard Lat and Long coordinates (which I am still attempting) I can't see a way of getting the locations onto the device other than in the "bookmarks" section, and these don't flag as POi with an audible warning.
    On the device there are city guides and all lidl stores, these are overlays in .lg5 / .cdt format. To my knowledge there is no audible warning when your are approaching.
    I have emailed (many times) both Smart2go and Silvercrest, but have not received any technical answers.
    So for the minute it's a no, I'm afraid.
    Even if you could easily convert a speed-cam file to a suitable format, there is no available help on .lg5 or .cdt formats.
    Do a quick search for gpspassions (I think) it's a french site and has lots of stuff about Smart2go.
    I'm still working on a way of converting to Smart2go geopos format, but it will take a while.
    Sorry I can't offer more assistance.
    Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

b.harte wrote: »
    I have emailed (many times) both Smart2go and Silvercrest, but have not received any technical answers.

Bertie

Bertie,
    Fair play to you with your quest to unravel the mysteries of the PoI layout on the Lidl Silvercrest unit. I find that the lack of an "open" layout to these files mars what is otherwise an excellent, value for money unit. I suspect that the smart2go/nokia pedigree means that, ultimately, there will be no way to open up the software and mapping on this unit. However, I did find that the Targa support people were quite responsive when I had an initial problem with saving my preferences. Try browsing to http://www.service.targa.co.uk/ and looking for the M4310T silvercrest model. They will answer questions. Or you could try dialling the Silvercrest helpline number in your manual. It gets you through to the support desk in Germany, where they have good English-speaking support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 espero

Hi Bertie,

Thank you for your kind answer. I will search the gpspassion forum concerning the Smart2go features.

Your GPS version have activated speedcam alerts for your country? For example the spanish version has only for Spain, (working with sounds as the speed limitations on the roads) and this is the reason to expect this feature also for other countries.

We, users of these E3510T and M4310T models, are discussing on the following (french) forums:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102788&whichpage=9
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102555&whichpage=4

You are welcome to join us in these topics, because other users were also
    done some interesting steps manipulating the soft, but still without success
    concerning the speedcams...

Please keep in touch if you have some news concerning any developement that you achieve with this GPS.

Best regards.

espero wrote: »
    Hi Bertie,

Your GPS version have activated speedcam alerts for your country? For example the spanish version has only for Spain, (working with sounds as the speed limitations on the roads) and this is the reason to expect this feature also for other countries.

We, users of these E3510T and M4310T models, are discussing on the following (french) forums:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102788&whichpage=9
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102555&whichpage=4

Hi again,
    I checked out the link you posted and someone has posted the keomo speedcam files, I've loaded them onto my device and they're all visible and are loaded from the Loc Services menu. There are lots listed but I can't try it out as there are none for ireland.
    The speed waning never worked for me even when I had it enabled. I would select it on the device, set the speed limit and tolerance but never got any warning when I approaced the limit (see, approached, not exceeded :rolleyes: )
    Anyway, I had a look at the prefs.xml file and even after enabling the option the XMl had an off bit assigned to it. (0= off 1=on)
    see the example below, I manually edited the XML file and saved back to device.
    <d n="render_premium" t="int">1</d>
    <d n="show_warning" t="int">0</d>
    <d n="speed_limit_tolerance" t="int">0</d>
    <d n="speedbased_volume" t="int">0</d>
    <d n="time_zone" t="int">25</d>
    <d n="trial_expiry" t="bin">0AcAAAEB</d>
    <d n="unit" t="str">METRIC</d>
    <d n="use_internet" t="int">0</d>
    <d n="use_speed_limit" t="int">1</d>
    <d n="use_speed_limit_sound" t="int">1</d>

Try editing the values to get warnings approaching limit, I don't know if it works, I'll try in the morning.

Fat-tony,
    I tried targa support already, they are good on basic stuff but didn't know what formats .cdt was. I'll keep plodding away when I can.
    Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Ok Bertie - the support is a bit basic ;).

As regards the speed limit warning, it works when you exceed the limit by a set threshold, not when you approach the limit. You can get the unit to flash up a speed limit sign and optional honking noise.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the long time in posting.
    Time to put this to bed I'm afraid.
    After playing about with a massive XL macro I manages to plot a (very attractive) grid of points, but I couldn't figure out the reverseal of the encryption.
    Sorry to all, I did try.
    Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

ah well, thanks for your efforts, i gave up weeks ago!

on another point, any body find that the battery life is quite poor in this unit?

ok i've the lcd on constantly and music playin through the fm transmitter, but it still should last for a while, it just doesn't. i know i can turn the lcd off and such, i'm just wonderin how ye find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 musicland

Hi all

Unfortunatelly I renamed the CentralAp.exe in the M4310T system folder, and the GPS can't start. It only shows "Cannot find CentralAP" and stops to respondig. Any solutions to return to the original settings?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mayreduce

I lost DVD provided with device... Can someone upload it?
    bajko wrote: »
    I am talking abut SilverCrest PNA-E3510, please see manual at:
    http://service.targa.co.uk/faq.php?lang_id=2&baseid=216&artdesc=SilverCrest+PNA-E3510&artid=794&artpic=479PNA-E3510.jpg

By default a cut of the european map (Eastern EU) is installed because the complete map is too large for the memory of the device (it has 1gB Flash drive). On the DVD provided with the device you can find 4 maps.

These can additionally be installed on an SD-Card to allow a map crossing navigation. The complete european map only fits on a 2GB SD card.

So I installed complete EU map (1.2 Gb) on SD card from DVD provided as suggested in manual, but is says "Map is locked, go to smart2go.com to activate ..." Strange!

East. EU map is unlocked by default.

Robert

Advertisement