Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving uk car not owned by me

Options
  • 14-12-2007 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Quick question, am from uk now 'resident in ireland' for tax and vrt purposes.

but 6 months ago 'bought' a car from my friend, but between the jigs and reels he hasn't yet posted off the reg cert, so car still in his name.

Insurance is ok, but where do i stand regarding vrt and registering the car here.

If stopped by customs and i don't own car, my friend does who is 'permanently' resident in uk, but i drive it with his permission, does it have to be registered?

please reply quickly as saw a couple of people hanging outside my house taking an interest in car - with dayglo jackets on back window!

I plan to get him to send the certs now, but meantime am i ok or will i have to hotfoot it to VRO office and look for 7 days before i get fined.

bit jumpy as someone i know got car impounded last week and had to pay vrt plus fine!

Don't want to get hit before xmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

afaik they cant lift the car if its not yours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The feckers can lift if it they want I think :(

Best line you could give them is that the person you bought it off insisted on sending the V5 to the DVLA, and you have to wait until it's posted out to you before you can register the car

Its happened to people I know, they had to wait around 6 weeks for the V5 to arrive to their house in Ireland, and then they went on their merry way to the VRO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Keep a folding bike in the boot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually - you can't drive it. You're not allowed to drive a foreign registered car, as an Irish resident.

Secondly - maybe you know this already - but if you don't own the car, you only have TPO insurance. Driving Other Vehicle extension - if that's how you're doing it - is TPO only, irrespective of the policy type.

If you have insurance on the car, with the reg on your Cert, it goes on the premise that you own it. You can't insure 'someone else's car', so ........just get the V5, and VRT it and get it over with.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

galwaytt wrote: »
    Actually - you can't drive it. You're not allowed to drive a foreign registered car, as an Irish resident.

Secondly - maybe you know this already - but if you don't own the car, you only have TPO insurance. Driving Other Vehicle extension - if that's how you're doing it - is TPO only, irrespective of the policy type.

If you have insurance on the car, with the reg on your Cert, it goes on the premise that you own it. You can't insure 'someone else's car', so ........just get the V5, and VRT it and get it over with.

That depends on your Insurers policy. Some will transfer your insurance over from an existing car. Doesn't matter if its uk reg or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mcmuff wrote: »
    Quick question, am from uk now 'resident in ireland' for tax and vrt purposes.

but 6 months ago 'bought' a car from my friend, but between the jigs and reels he hasn't yet posted off the reg cert, so car still in his name.

Insurance is ok, but where do i stand regarding vrt and registering the car here.

If stopped by customs and i don't own car, my friend does who is 'permanently' resident in uk, but i drive it with his permission, does it have to be registered?

please reply quickly as saw a couple of people hanging outside my house taking an interest in car - with dayglo jackets on back window!

I plan to get him to send the certs now, but meantime am i ok or will i have to hotfoot it to VRO office and look for 7 days before i get fined.

bit jumpy as someone i know got car impounded last week and had to pay vrt plus fine!

Don't want to get hit before xmas
    Sounds like the typical 'cock and bull' story peddled by VRT dodgers.

Why should the honest law abiding motorist have to supplement the VRT spongers? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If it is parked off road, then your ok. Different story if your seen driving it on the road.

The law states that you must regsiter it the day after import. But you cant register it without the V5, so state that the car is off road till you receive V5.

Ask your friend for V5 and do not send it to the DVLA, present it to the VRO Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if an irish person drives a foreign registered car within the state.. it can be confiscated by customs / gardai

even if a relative from the UK is staying with you, and u just take their car for a spin to the shops.. it doesnt really happen, but it could happen

Advertisement