Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pickpocketed at the Nightlink

• 14-12-2007 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Ever experience this?

Being the xmas season that is in it I was out tonight for an xmas party. Got pretty drunk and clearly must have been considered a soft touch for the nightlink beggers.

Got to westmorland st and and was quietly minding my own business whilst waiting for the bus when a 'homeless' guy comes up to me looking for a quid for a hostel. I politely decline. After much discussion this guy eventually disappears.

Suddenly I realise I'm missing my mp3 player. I add up one plus one and realise he must have taken it. So I walked down towards temple bar (don't ask me why I knew he'd go that way) and caught up with the little ****er.

I say to him "just give it back". Surprise to me he does without question. I then push him into a wall and start screaming bloody murder at him. "Don't you **** with me you little ****, I'll ****ing kill you if I ever run into you again" etc.

Suddenly I feel good and bad in equal measure.

I'm sick of those nitelink muggers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Nice work catching the f*cker. Bet he didn't see that coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

No offence but this is how people end up on the news. "pigman stabbed in altercation over mp3 player". Is it worth it??? I'm all for standing up for yourself and not letting scum like that get away with it but once you get the mp3 player back be on your merry way. Nothing good can come from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, nice.

Never been pickpocketed in Ireland actually, only once ever and that was in Greece by Roma kids when I was drunk. I remember actually picking one up by his collar and slamming him against a phone box, screaming at him to give me back my fcking phone. He kept saying "Phone!" and pointing at the phone box, I actually felt quite guilty afterwards but was absolutely steaming at the time and was and still am to this day 100% sure they took it.

Btw dont mean to cast doubts on your story but do you always bring an mp3 player to an Xmas Party? The last thing im in the mood to do is listen to music when hammered on a nitelink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I'm a big one for revenge and teaching people a lesson. I would personally have been quite happy if you'd started frantically beating him with a 7 iron. Let him know that if he does something like that again, he risks experiencing terrible pain again. ZERO tolerance with bull**** like that.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote: »
    Lol, nice.

Never been pickpocketed in Ireland actually, only once ever and that was in Greece by Roma kids when I was drunk. I remember actually picking one up by his collar and slamming him against a phone box, screaming at him to give me back my fcking phone. He kept saying "Phone!" and pointing at the phone box, I actually felt quite guilty afterwards but was absolutely steaming at the time and was and still am to this day 100% sure they took it.

They got me in Hersonnisos this year. 100euro in the back pocket. Rookie mistake. Again if you did react that way you were risking it big time - those Roma kids in the streets are basically protected from the Cops down. I saw 1 guy react the exact same, the cops got there and he was brought down an alleyway....i punched a wall when i realised and almost broke my hand, in a way i deserved to be robbed for making it so easy for them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Btw dont mean to cast doubts on your story but do you always bring an mp3 player to an Xmas Party? The last thing im in the mood to do is listen to music when hammered on a nitelink.

I bring my mp3 player everywhere I go. I'll even bring it to your funeral. Is that so unusual?

Pigman II wrote: »
    I bring my mp3 player everywhere I go. I'll even bring it to your funeral. Is that so unusual?

Eh....maybe unusual, def sad* to bring an mp3 player out on a night out.

As for my funeral you're not invited but if you want to crash it feel free to bring it with ya.

On topic, beating/berating the scumbag is not a very smart idea, what's the best that can come out of it? Personal satisfaction that's all. In no way is it gonna deter them from doing it again. Worst case scenario you end up stabbed and become another statistic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They got me in Hersonnisos this year. 100euro in the back pocket. Rookie mistake. Again if you did react that way you were risking it big time - those Roma kids in the streets are basically protected from the Cops down. I saw 1 guy react the exact same, the cops got there and he was brought down an alleyway....i punched a wall when i realised and almost broke my hand, in a way i deserved to be robbed for making it so easy for them!!!

Yeah there little Pr**ks overthere i mean cops in foreign countries are just gangsters i mean they shouldnt let the kids wander the streets at all hours of the morning glad to have the guards tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Eh....maybe unusual, def very sad to bring an mp3 player out on a night out.

Not really, I'd bring mine out cos I'd be listening to it on the way in on the bus and maybe throw on a few songs on the nitelink home if I was on my own, how is that sad?

• Advertisement

Yeah there little Pr**ks overthere i mean cops in foreign countries are just gangsters i mean they shouldnt let the kids wander the streets at all hours of the morning glad to have the guards tbh

very skillful little so-n-so's too. i was warned all week to keep all cash/mobile etc in front pockets at all times then i go and leave 2 50's in my back pocket like a moron. 2 or 3 of them tugging out of me, drunk+distracted = robbed. Put it this way, if any of the bar owners in Hersonissos wanted a clampdown on the Roma kids they could sort it out, bottom line is they're all in on it. Wink n a nod,nothing to see here.

:| wrote: »
    Not really, I'd bring mine out cos I'd be listening to it on the way in on the bus and maybe throw on a few songs on the nitelink home if I was on my own, how is that sad?

I guess. Ok i retract sad. I still dont like the concept of bringing it out on a night out though - just an added potential thing to lose on the way home when drunk (or as in OP's case stolen)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yeah that's where I was got too, straight on the strip in Hersonnisos. Phone was in a front pocket actually, realised it was gone pretty quickly.

The sheer amount of those Roma beggers there is disgusting, they're literally everywhere on the strip and they're very, very good at pickpocketing. I caught one woman almost taking a friends wallet clean from his pocket and almost broke her arm when I caught her. Really dangerous move standing up to them considering their husbands/fathers are fcking gangsters who sit on the beach and will come and leave you for dead if something happens.

I've never had a problem with the police in any country except on the Island of Crete, gangsters alright and about as useful as a used piece of toilet paper. Could be a great little island if they cleaned this sh1t up a bit but it's not going to happen considering the sheer amount of cash that floods in annually.
    very skillful little so-n-so's too. i was warned all week to keep all cash/mobile etc in front pockets at all times then i go and leave 2 50's in my back pocket like a moron. 2 or 3 of them tugging out of me, drunk+distracted = robbed. Put it this way, if any of the bar owners in Hersonissos wanted a clampdown on the Roma kids they could sort it out, bottom line is they're all in on it. Wink n a nod,nothing to see here.

Sure the barmen have been caught spiking girls drinks over there, the cops are corrupt, the actual business owners are gangsters and then you've thousands of the filthy Roma rats running around the streets. As I said, could be a fantastic island with a bit of effort but sadly won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

AK47 + backpocket = happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Eh....maybe unusual, def sad* to bring an mp3 player out on a night out.

ever consider the fact that he may have listened to it on the way to work? then gone straight from work out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cance wrote: »
    ever consider the fact that he may have listened to it on the way to work? then gone straight from work out?

ever consider he did not listen to it on the way to work but instead brought it with him to deliberately listen to in a club so he could avoid the **** music and canned laughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I was robbed in Gothenborg. Sittin with my ex outside a bar waiting for some food. Had my wallet on the table and some fat bird and her mate asked me for a light. 5 mins later wallet and 500 euro (stupid i know!) gone.:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I nearly got pickpocketed once. Just got on a train from Folerence to Milan with a friend. About 6 "locals" got on and acted all friendly and stuff. I felt one of them reach around into my pocket.

I realised what was happening and punched him in the stomach. He nearly shat himself and the rest ran off scream abuse towards americans.

I wouldnt have thought I'm an easy target. I'm 6'2'' and almost the same wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Before the days of mp3 players I remember a knob end in college
    who used to bring his walkman to the niteclub so he could listen
    to his own tunes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Before the days of mp3 players I remember a knob end in college
    who used to bring his walkman to the niteclub so he could listen
    to his own tunes

He deserves to get mugged!

• Advertisement

I was mugged in Dublin once. Was walking behind St. Stephen's Hospital after the Metallic gig last summer when a junkie grabbed me and held a syringe to my throat. He also used a broken glass bottle to get his point across. It was a horrible experience and one which I hope never happens again.

Em, I take my mp3 player everywhere. I'll even take it to your funeral. Is that so unusual?

I too bring mine everywhere, having brought it to weddings, funeral, and every time I leave the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I was in Barcelona when a Roma girl (16) tried to steal my phone. She was insisting I should buy a paper off her and just as I realised she was covering the table to grab the phone. She grabbed it and ran. I picked up the aluminium chair beside me and threw it at her. Which knocked her over I ran over and took the phone from her hand then another one jumped on my back. I threw her off and she landed hard on a table. Then another comes charging at me and I had no idea if she had a knife or anything so I grabbed her arm and spun her around. She hit a granite bollard very hard. All three were in a lot of pain but there were two others looking over.

My wife was screaming and not one person went to help me and just stared. I looked around. Went back to the cafe dropped €20 for the bill and we ran. It was Orson Wells Square. I felt a bit bad beating up teenage girls but one tried to steal from me and the other two attacked me. My wife wasn't too happy either.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Kipperhell wrote: »
    I picked up the aluminium chair beside me and threw it at her. Which knocked her over I ran over and took the phone from her hand then another one jumped on my back. I threw her off and she landed hard on a table. Then another comes charging at me and I had no idea if she had a knife or anything so I grabbed her arm and spun her around. She hit a granite bollard very hard. All three were in a lot of pain but there were two others looking over.

Was there a point at which you jumped in the air, time slowed down and the camera panned around, then as time returned to normal, you kicked one of them in the face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

In Rome we were advised to always keep anything we had in the inside pockets of coats, as it was far more difficult to get at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Was there a point at which you jumped in the air, time slowed down and the camera panned around, then as time returned to normal, you kicked one of them in the face?
    Nothing gracious about any move I made and they were smaller than me. Not hard to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I say to him "just give it back". Surprise to me he does without question.

Jedi you are.
    I then push him into a wall and start screaming bloody murder at him. "Don't you **** with me you little ****, I'll ****ing kill you if I ever run into you again" etc.

Much anger I sense.

hmmmmm, stronger the dark side is growing.

(Yoda smiley we should have)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only got robbed once out in Prague, I was hammered drunk and penniless I'd spent my last Euro on a hot dog from the street on the way back to my hostel and this Roma one came up to me selling sex. I told her I hadn't a penny on me. She started sticking her hands in my pockets and I just let her off because I thought I'd nothing in there. After a while I realised I did have my phone on me and sure enough it was gone, I asked for it back she gave it back and said sorry, we said goodnight and parted ways. overall not an unpleasant experience. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

6th wrote: »
    Jedi you are.

Much anger I sense.

hmmmmm, stronger the dark side is growing.

(Yoda smiley we should have)

Hmmmmmmmmm?

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_skeksil_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ever experience this?

Being the xmas season that is in it I was out tonight for an xmas party. Got pretty drunk and clearly must have been considered a soft touch for the nightlink beggers.

Got to westmorland st and and was quietly minding my own business whilst waiting for the bus when a 'homeless' guy comes up to me looking for a quid for a hostel. I politely decline. After much discussion this guy eventually disappears.

Suddenly I realise I'm missing my mp3 player. I add up one plus one and realise he must have taken it. So I walked down towards temple bar (don't ask me why I knew he'd go that way) and caught up with the little ****er.

I say to him "just give it back". Surprise to me he does without question. I then push him into a wall and start screaming bloody murder at him. "Don't you **** with me you little ****, I'll ****ing kill you if I ever run into you again" etc.

Suddenly I feel good and bad in equal measure.

I'm sick of those nitelink muggers.

I think we have a walter mitty story here

Quality wrote: »
    I think we have a walter mitty story here

It's very flattering to have my very own cyberstalker. All this just because I insinuated you had a big bottom? Luv I'd happily feed you crisps to put more junk in that big ol' trunk of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ScumLord wrote: »
    I only got robbed once out in Prague, I was hammered drunk and penniless I'd spent my last Euro on a hot dog from the street on the way back to my hostel and this Roma one came up to me selling sex. I told her I hadn't a penny on me. She started sticking her hands in my pockets and I just let her off because I thought I'd nothing in there. After a while I realised I did have my phone on me and sure enough it was gone, I asked for it back she gave it back and said sorry, we said goodnight and parted ways. overall not an unpleasant experience. :)

So if you had a few bob would you have paid her for a ride? at least ya got a bit of a feel.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It's very flattering to have my very own cyberstalker. All this just because I insinuated you had a big bottom? Luv I'd happily feed you crisps to put more junk in that big ol' trunk of yours.

I am sure you are too busy,,, beating up some bad guys!! to be feeding me crisps!!

I bet you bought a batman/superman and spiderman suit from Ebay and when your in your bedroom at night, after your mammy tucks you in... you sneak out of the bed and dress up in your outfits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Cool, I told you not to post that, you even PM'd me. Now, I thought you were talking about posting it in All things retro, my mistake. I still said you shouldn't post it. Yet you do. Banned for a week for sheer stupidity.

Ok, ban lifted because of Nesf, but stop stirring up **** on mulitple forums with pigman.

Quality wrote: »
    I am sure you are too busy,,, beating up some bad guys!! to be feeding me crisps!!

I'd never be too busy to help a roomy girl like you reach maximum density.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok STOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

ScumLord wrote: »
    ... started sticking her hands in my pockets...

I got a bit of this off a gypsy while drunk in Prague a few years ago. This American nearby shouts "She's trying to rob you" So I pushed her away and walked off. She just smiled and moved on to the next drunk eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

So what did you think she was trying to do to you? tickle your legs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't say i've ever been pickpocketed. Could be due to the fact i look like an evil cúnt of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have been racking my brain to come up with a good sting or "honey pot". Like an electrified empty wallet hanging out your back pocket, or just walking with it hanging out and on a fishing line so you know when it is nicked, with pepper spray, a fake beard (for CCTV) and a kosh/knuckle duster at the ready, then pummel the bastard to a bloody pulp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

I ****ing hate those beggers at Westmorland St.
    For a while they the same begger kept targeting me for spare change. once he even asked for a bite of my burger, and wouldnt go until he got it, then i lost the head and told him to **** off. which he did rather shakely.
    Then I realised if I stand near the actual bus stop and not the wall of claires/supermacs they dont seem to bother you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

rubadub wrote: »
    I have been racking my brain to come up with a good sting or "honey pot". Like an electrified empty wallet hanging out your back pocket, or just walking with it hanging out and on a fishing line so you know when it is nicked, with pepper spray, a fake beard (for CCTV) and a kosh/knuckle duster at the ready, then pummel the bastard to a bloody pulp.

The old set rattrap in a jacket pocket is a good one. But only if you ALWAYS remember that its there! Just ask my mate Johnny Three Fingers, he will tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The old set rattrap in a jacket pocket is a good one. But only if you ALWAYS remember that its there! Just ask my mate Johnny Three Fingers, he will tell you.

You Sir, are a genius!

Can't say the same for Johnny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

something tells me this story is made up

Advertisement