Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Melted Headlight

Options
  • 14-12-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed last night that my drivers side headlight was a lot dimmier than the passenger side one. Assuming it was just a bad bulb i decided to check it before heading up to Halfolrds to replace it. On opening the back of the light cradle i found the whole surround has melted and the bulb and it metal surround are just bouncing around inside.

Needless to say its annoying but i do have a years toyota used car warrenty. The warrenty excludes lights but am going to see anyway as its the light surround not the light bulb...

So two quick questions, any idea what caused it and if i can't get it replaced under warrenty know any good breakers in south Dublin/ north Wicklow?

The car is an 03 almera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would suspect a high rated (illegal) bulb with 80 or 100 W.

If that's not the case, then it's most likely a short somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Seen the heading of the post and before i read it i knew it was an Almera in question!
    Same thing happened my gf's 04 Almera - got it replaced under warranty!
    Been driving her car lately to work and guess what - the one on the drivers side is now gone - cars out of poxy warranty!!
    Its not the rating of the bulb - its just he material used - crap plastic - have a look at any Almrea that passes you - alot will have the problem - the bulb wont be out but it will look dull - its because the bulb isnt sitting as intended - the plastic melts and the bulb drups and then it doesnt shine out the lens correctly and also doesnt reflect off the inside of the headlight either!!
    I know someone else who has an 03 and his whole headlight mounting broke, so the light isnt sitting right at all! He got a letter calling the car back for something to do with the lights (misalignment or something) havent spoken with him again so i dont know the out come - hopefully you might get a letter - im hoping for one too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is a known issue with Almeras.
    Nissan will replace them for free out of goodwill.
    (they have done so for me on every 03 and 04 facelift model I've ever taken in!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ah crap!! Happened to me! I just replaced it. Best €15 I ever spent!! :p

with this problem the entire headlight unit needs to be replaced. If one is faulty, I usually encourage the other one to break so the pair will be done on warranty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Nissan will replace them for free out of goodwill

Even if the car is out of warranty???
    Suppose they should really if its a known issues especially the fact it has to do with Safety!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dropped down to the garage i bought it from yesterday and they took it to Nissan for me and got both entire headlight assemblies replaced, all at no cost.

The difference is staggering, obviously didn't realise how bad the lights had gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

peasant wrote: »
    Nothing illegal about them.

Curran wrote: »
    Even if the car is out of warranty???
    Suppose they should really if its a known issues especially the fact it has to do with Safety!!

Even if the car is more than 3 years old or otherwise out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

JHMEG wrote: »
    Nothing illegal about them.

Well, once they're aimed correctly they won't cause any problems to oncoming motorists. The problem with them is quite often manufacturers only spec their headlights for 60/55W bulbs, and so mightn't handle the extra heat generated, or their headlight wiring mightn't handle the extra current, resulting in overheated cables which could possibly catch fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I usually encourage the other one to break so the pair will be done on warranty...
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Well, once they're aimed correctly they won't cause any problems to oncoming motorists.
    Applies to any bulbs.
    The problem with them is quite often manufacturers only spec their headlights for 60/55W bulbs, and so mightn't handle the extra heat generated, or their headlight wiring mightn't handle the extra current, resulting in overheated cables which could possibly catch fire.
    Nothing to do with legal/illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Most manufacturers nowadays will do a "goodwill gesture" when it comes to well known faults even when the warranty has expired. They want to sell you another car when you change yours you see. That's what the recall system is based on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Most manufacturers nowadays will do a "goodwill gesture" when it comes to well known faults even when the warranty has expired. They want to sell you another car when you change yours you see. That's what the recall system is based on as well.

I've googled it and can't find it, but I'm pretty sure most recalls are done on the basis that the potential losses in the courts outweigh the loss from doing the recall.

There's a movie about a US company that launched it's car in trumpeted glory by driving hundreds of them down a street all in line. they ended up ion court becasue of some fault and went/nearly went bankrupt. IIRC it was based on a true story

Advertisement