Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB and NETGEAR DG834GT Wireless Router

Options
  • 14-12-2007 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm at my wits end...

I've trawled through the previous posts on this Netgear model (here and online elsewhere) and have tried everything suggested but still it refuses to work. My Smart BB connection was hooked up fine earlier this week.

The ADSL works fine through the modem supplied by Smart. Problem is, when I hook up the DG834GT wireless modem/router straight to the phone line (ie not using it as a bridge with smart modem), I can't seem to get a wireless internet connection. It picks up the actual router fine (local connection only) but no internet access. I've tried configuring the router manually using Smart's details, I've tried downloading the latest firmware, still nothing. All the relevant LED's on the router are 100% and all basic ADSL and wireless settings seem fine. Anyone out there with any other suggestions please help before I chuck it in the bin and write-off €100....cheers :o

by the way, I've tried using it with the smart modem as a bridge and still no workie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have the same model. Are Smart using PPPoE? Did they give you the settings you need for your broadband connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

ethernet wrote: »
    Have the same model. Are Smart using PPPoE? Did they give you the settings you need for your broadband connection?

ya, they're using PPPoE. I've tried that and the PPPoA settings and still nothing. I've got all the broadband settings from their website. Did you have any hassle trying to set up yours? I'll get onto Netgear and see if theres anything there. Have tried the smart forums but nothing seems to work

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

I also have the same router. I have had to roll back the firmware to 1.0.7 as the so called newer versions seem to break one or more features. Did you have this running on another BB line/connection??
    I also had to do a special reset that netgear advised to reset the router to fix some issues.
    I would recommend a trip to the netgear support site. Register your router if you havent already and submit an online support request. Hopefully they can sort you out. They usually reply in two days or quicker.
    http://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp

Good luck.

Boomslang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

For all it's worth, I had some problems with it, mainly in configuring a MAC ACL.

I think the problem is that the device Smart gives you is just a modem and not a router. From what I've read on these forums, devices connected to it are assigned public IP addresses. Connecting the modem to a router with a WAN port (i.e. non-ADSL router) should work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ethernet wrote: »
    For all it's worth, I had some problems with it, mainly in configuring a MAC ACL.

I think the problem is that the device Smart gives you is just a modem and not a router. From what I've read on these forums, devices connected to it are assigned public IP addresses. Connecting the modem to a router with a WAN port (i.e. non-ADSL router) should work.

The Aolynk DR814? That is a router alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

boomslang wrote: »
    I also have the same router. I have had to roll back the firmware to 1.0.7 as the so called newer versions seem to break one or more features. Did you have this running on another BB line/connection??
    I also had to do a special reset that netgear advised to reset the router to fix some issues.
    I would recommend a trip to the netgear support site. Register your router if you havent already and submit an online support request. Hopefully they can sort you out. They usually reply in two days or quicker.
    http://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp

Good luck.

Boomslang :)

Cheers, I'll give that a go. Didn't know about rolling back the firmware. wouldn't be at all surprised if thats an issue because I've never used this router with another connection -its brand new hardware

Advertisement