Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Way Radio's - Which/Where to Buy?

• 14-12-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hello!

For christmas im hoping to buy a set (4) of Two Way Radio's for leisure/ business use.

I was hoping i could get some recommendations as to either good ranges/makes, or a shop that has a good range in stock in Ireland.

Ideally i'd like them not to be too bulky so larger commercial two-ways wouldn't really be suitable. They are to be used outside over a distance of no more than 4-5km.

I've done some research online but the motorola and oregon scientific ranges don't seem to get great reviews, and the midland range only seem available in the U.S.

So any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Without a licence the only option is PMR446.
    The 200 Eur each are not much different to the 30 Eur per pair.
    Lidl still has some of the dual + charger basae. Get 2 sets. Just as good as Midland/Motorola etc.

The Larger commercial higher power radios need a commercial licence.

There are some nice kenwood/Yaesu/Icom etc but they need a Wireless Experimenter licence (2x to 10x power and external aerial connection).

You aren't allowed interchangable aerial or increased powe on PMR446.

There are some 5W CB handhelds (also no licence needed), but these are much more expensive, very much bigger aerials and about 6x size.

Advertisement