Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a car for €1000

Options
  • 14-12-2007 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a car that will get me to July 2008 (when I buy my new car!!!) without any problems or issues of any sort.

I've €1000 maximum to spend, and I'm not an expert on cars so the second hand car websites I've been looking at are a major minefield to me. I have been looking over the last few days but a lot of the cars on carzone have already been sold or sound "dodgy".

I'm tall (so will need something fairly large!), and I'll be driving from Kildare to Dublin every workday. Apart from reliability, I dont care about make, model, year, colour, etc ... altho a BMW or Saab would be nice ;-) My main concern is reliability ... I dont wany any problems between now and July.

I plan to keep the car till July and sell on.

I know I'm asking a lot, but there seem to be very expert and knowledgeable people here. Any suggestions or ideas would be very very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a car that will get me to July 2008 (when I buy my new car!!!) without any problems or issues of any sort.

That kind of reliability will be down the the individual car and not any make or model, especially at that budget. You could buy a (insert your favourite reliable make here) that will break down the week after you buy it. You could also buy (insert your favourite least reliable make here) that will go the distance no problem. Get any car you're interested in well checked out by a good mechanic, and hope for the best.

A warranty might give you some peace of mind (it won't cover everything that could go wrong, though), but you'll only get that from a dealer, and I'd say the chances of getting a 7 or 8 month warranty on a car of that price are pretty slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping someone could recomend/suggest an actual car for sale they saw or knew about that might suit my needs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

A high milage diesel would be cheap and good - lots of ex taxi's so would be serviced well -

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&sortby=PriceAsc&maxrows=50&MakeID=31&ModelID=261&FuelID=2&GroupID=738

if you arnt too concered about having an NCT then this bargain is a gud un
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=865886

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JoeySully wrote: »

Advising someone to break the law is not condoned on boards.ie

Consider yourself warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Would a '99 Hyundai Accent serviced and with NCT be any good to you?

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote: »
    Would a '99 Hyundai Accent serviced and with NCT be any good to you?

i'm interested ... tell me more ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

my advice would be to get something japaneese - cant really be beaten on realiability - but for €1,000 your prob gonna have to compromise that a little!

types of cars you should look at i think are
    toyota , mazda , honda

you could prob pick up a nice carina E for a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

yeah, Honda's and Nissans are always a winner. Obviously depending though how they have been looked after over the years.
    I had a really old civic that i bought for very little, to learn how to drive in. I kept it a fair while after as it was so reliable. everyone thought it was ready to kick the bucket. but it served me well, and never had one problem with it. It may have looked awful, but it started first time every time, and no knocks or squeeling belts or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I picked up a 96 cinquecento with 30000 miles a few months back for €300 for the mot

starts every time and runs like a top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=832489

Give it a good clean, set of hubcaps... take a hammer to the thing on the boot and youre sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

93-95 Vectra turbodiesel. bulletproof

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

that sunny looks like a good buy for you. as i said nissans are always a winner.
    it looks like that could be a nice reliable motor for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

eh...saab 9000-900 are a good choice also civics , and volvo 940 turbo.

i see alot of EG6 model civics for around a 1000 with atleast a year nct so there eazy to shift after you get you new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd be looking for a 1.6-2.0 mondeo/ vectra/ primera/ carina/ 626/ accord/ etc etc. If you're expecting a new car, I'm sure it's reasonable to expect you have a bob or two and these cars are no-compromise cars that would have been very expensive when new. I think you won't beat them for value and comfort for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Vikings wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=832489

Give it a good clean, set of hubcaps... take a hammer to the thing on the boot and youre sorted!

Oh and not to mention that the car won't lose any value either!

Pretty sure you could knock €75 - €100 off that price with the right haggling then come resale time get rid of it private and you might well be getting you €6-700 quid straight back.

Started driving in a sunny, didn't lose a penny on it. I miss that car :(

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=845405

if your gonn buy a vectra/626/ or infact anything terrable like that , just buy something like that ( link ) then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

VW Golf CL...diesel 90,01 or 92.....heck you might even pull chicks in it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

an aul starlet?
    my uncle has a 1.3L 92 one that never caused him a bit of trouble.........plenty of them out there too

Thanks very much for all the suggestions guys ... much appreciated.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I have this on ebay ending in about 3 hours, It stands me €1400 but I could do with selling it because its parked on the grass and my wife isnt impressed.http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270195562129&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Looks like a good 'un. I'd go for that if I were in the OP's position. Best of all worlds really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've €1000 maximum to spend, and I'm not an expert on cars so the second hand car websites I've been looking at are a major minefield to me. I have been looking over the last few days but a lot of the cars on carzone have already been sold or sound "dodgy".

I'm tall (so will need something fairly large!), and I'll be driving from Kildare to Dublin every workday. Apart from reliability, I dont care about make, model, year, colour, etc ... altho a BMW or Saab would be nice ;-) My main concern is reliability ... I dont wany any problems between now and July.

I plan to keep the car till July and sell on.

I know I'm asking a lot, but there seem to be very expert and knowledgeable people here. Any suggestions or ideas would be very very much appreciated.

Its annoying that carzone dont remove ads that are sold, why is that?

I had the same problem as you, emigrating next year and needed something cheap to tide me over..

If you are willing to go a little higher you could get a nice corolla for maybe 2000, they are extremely reliable and drive great..

Here is the one i bought for 2600 last month...Easy to sell on too, i have had 2 offers already!

dsc5151rn2.jpg
    dsc5173sn7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

you should try the buy and sell rather than carzone... much more cheap cars in their "under 100 euro" and "1000 to 2000" sections. Plenty of stuf fout there with some test on it.

If you're tall then get somethin like a: (tryin to suggest stuff with bit of room)

88 to 92 carina, reliable and in your budget with test

ford granada (i've often got them for 1000 or less with nct, have one now that i got for a grand with 2years test, got it at 123k, on 160k approx now, nothin went wrong apart from wiper linkage which i fixed in 5 min myself, been very reliable but test is just up... gonna ressurect it and hopefully get 2 more years out of it)

Nissan sunnys are reliable

ford scorpio

ex taxi merc diesel

old corolla,

you canget volvos.. but don't break them.. expensive parts

mondeo... these can be got with some test.

these from buy and sell:

VW Golf 1.4L ’93D, Leinster Co. Dublin €999.00
    NCT 08/09, wine, great cond, 086-1543884

Ford Scorpio 16V Ghia 2.0L 1995, Leinster Co. Dublin €1000.00
    , manual, NCT 02/09 fully loaded, very clear 087-2562905

Nissan Sunny 1.4L ’92, Leinster Co. Dublin €700.00
    100k mls, 5 dr, saloon, NCT 02/09, silver 087-2620846

Toyota Carina 1.6L petrol 1994, Munster Limerick €1000.00
    , 4 dr, saloon, manual, NCT 08/09, red, c/l, f/s, p/s, new tyres, recently serviced, ex cond. 086-3391995

Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX '95. Munster Tipperary €795.00
    Petrol, 5 dr, white, NCT'd '09, 133k mls, manual, s/r, p/s, e/w, c/l, towbar, €795. 052-42924

Mercedes 190E Dsl 1989. Leinster Westmeath €1000.00
    NCT 06/08, manual, black, €1000. 087-2812314

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Carina E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Nissan Sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I think it depends on the buyer
    carina for bullerproofness/toyotaness
    merc because I just like it (weird I know)

actually when I was looking for a cheap enough car I was gonna get an Ibiza, loadsa people were recomending them, the polo and it are related although slightly bigger........ and its not "seen" as a bucket, might have something to do with the newer model having much the same shape:rolleyes:

i know a guy selling a sunny , needs new clutch plate ( 100-200 depending where you source it. )

94' , 1.6 sound runner

if intrested pm me and ill forward you the details in full tomorrow.

Advertisement