Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OC Utility for Q6600 on 680i chipset

• 14-12-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi,

the asus board comes with some sort of native settings but it doesnt seem to report on all cores..only 2 of them.

what would be your recommendation on software to use for OC'ing?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

make sure you have all core's enabled in bios.

also the only real way to overclock is through the bios.Its not reccomended to use programs in windows to change overclock.If you want to overclock i advice you to read some guides first and know what you are getting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you can try ntune or clockgen to overclock in windows. I'd personally err on the side of caution and go with Awhirs advice and only overclock from the BIOS. You want to be able to know your system can at least POST with a setting before you apply it within Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Ok thanks chaps appreciate the advice.
    If you know of any "easy to follow" guides that would be great also.

not sure if the bios has a enable core settings but will take a look.
    I am using PC wizard to monitor temps and also use Speedfan.
    I understand Speedfan is about 15 degrees out?

these quads are easy enough to keep cool and my temps are under the 40's on idle but thats with the case open and a small fan shoved up the coolers ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

if speedfan has a tjunction of 85 then is is 15c out.

For some articles on overclocking just use google.

As the CPU is using G0 stepping would it be safe to assume the tjunction is 85?
    Not sure where in Speed Fan I can find the T-Junction.

I did read this article which explains something somewhat:confused:

http://www.boogleoogle.co.uk/2007/07/31/how-to-get-accurate-quad-core-b3g0-temp-readings-in-speedfan/

I will go in search of OC articles.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Well ive been just under an hour googling and all I found was the usual crappy forums with bickering and whinging and so fourth!

Think I'll go buy a book in town tomorrow.That google can throw up some crap sometimes.

stay away from books !!

give me one minute and i'll have a good one for ya.

edit:http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/1567-intel-overclocking-guide.html

it really is trial and error i'm afraid. A lot of the overclocking knowledge you'll get will be from making a change, messing it up then HAVING to read up about why it happened and how to fix it.

The key here is necessity, nobody NEEDS to overclock, they just want to for the fun of it and to save a few euros, so you won't put in the needed reading and researching into your motherboards BIOS, its tolerances, expected results, then theres your RAM timings, what they do, how they affect performance, then theres temperatures, what value is to high, how many volts to give the NB, SB, FSB, HTT, SPP, MCP, RAM... etc

In the beginning this will seem daunting, so people usually just learn how to increase their FSB values, and learn from there.

What i'd recommend is starting up a log in the Overclocking logs section and taking a few CLEAR photos (i.e. not Anti style photos :D) of your BIOS settings. Then we'll go from there, posters on here with a bit of OC knowledge will tell you what steps to take to get overclocking. Overclocking the right way could take a while also, it could be the new year before you've found the sweet spot that gets the most performance out of your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=59253

You can download a .pdf from the Evga forums here .

I suggest you update your bios first forget about floppy drives ect. just do it from windows the latest version is 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

TonyM. wrote: »
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=59253

You can download a .pdf from the Evga forums here .

I suggest you update your bios first forget about floppy drives ect. just do it from windows the latest version is 31.

nice link...thanks :)

• Advertisement

TonyM. wrote: »

DONT UPDATE your BIOS in windows, believe me it isn't worth the risk. The evga 680i comes equipped with a POST flash utility onboard so just use that instead. Also P31 isn't the best, if you read up on the evga forums, P30 was the last good BIOS update. P32 is supposed to fix a lot of the issues of P31.

See this evga guide on flashing the BIOS:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=36748&mpage=1&key=&#36748

L31mr0d wrote: »
    DONT UPDATE your BIOS in windows, believe me it isn't worth the risk. The evga 680i comes equipped with a POST flash utility onboard so just use that instead. Also P31 isn't the best, if you read up on the evga forums, P30 was the last good BIOS update. P32 is supposed to fix a lot of the issues of P31.

See this evga guide on flashing the BIOS:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=36748&mpage=1&key=辌

No updating with windows is fine once you use Winflash dont trust any other app even its from then maker, also updating with a floppy in bios can be just as risky.I have seen more people with bad flashes over bios then OS.

just stay away from anyapp other then Winflash ;)

awhir wrote: »
    No updating with windows is fine once you use Winflash dont trust any other app even its from then maker, also updating with a floppy in bios can be just as risky.I have seen more people with bad flashes over bios then OS.

just stay away from anyapp other then Winflash ;)

wait until a BIOS flash borks yours PC whilst flashing in windows and then come back to me. I used to always flash from windows, using winflash, even though everyone told me to avoid it. It wasn't until I broke a motherboard that I finally learned. You won't find many BIOS updating guides out there that recommend flashing from windows.

Plus using a floppy is oldschool, most built in flash utilities now will read from a USB stick or a CD

well the first attempt and I use Ntune and everything froze up.

So I'm using the bios instead and have her sitting at 2.9MHz.
    fook me the speed of this yoke!

temps over 50 though on this g0 and thats at idle in a 20 degree ambient temp in the room.

i dont trust windows flashs either.

Advertisement