Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Cycling

Options
  • 14-12-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm seriously considering taking up cycling as an alternative to jogging as my keep fit activity. I've run 2 marathons this year & at this stage I've been jogging for 5 years fairly seriously, so there's a bit of wear and tear on the body.
    I have a pretty basic mountain bike but I don't know much about bikes generally. I'm based in Limerick so any first hand experience of the best place to kit myself out with a reasonable racer + gear would be much appreciated.
    or a brand name to look out for in the buy & sell.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

What's your budget DAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DAC

Budget is circa €500 for the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hannah00

Hi Dac, I have a nice bike for sale & I am based in Limerick if youre interested. It cost €1900 a few years ago but to be honest I haven't used it that much. I would let it go for around the €500 mark. Pm me if your'e interested & I will give you more details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Same as Hannah, but I'm more stubborn, I'll let my bike gather another bit of dust. When buying a bike ensure u have enough to also cover the gear - decent helmet, shoes, pedals, and around this time of year its nice to have warn thermal clothes.

hannah, what kind of bike u looking to let go?

It's a look alu frame with a carbon fork & stem with an ultima groupset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

You could always try Cycling Pursuits on the Dock Road. Got my mountain bike there with good advice. Has good selection of gar there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

hannah00 wrote: »
    It's a look alu frame with a carbon fork & stem with an ultima groupset.

do u mean ultegra groupset? how old is the bike you got any pictures,

Yeah sorry, its an ultegra groupset.

Follow the link for pics http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=31596&cat=500

DAC, that seems like a good offer from hannah00, I worked in a bike shop not so long ago and they are selling 07 trek road bikes for 800euro - and this bike has a better group set and probably a similar if not lighter frame.

The next jump up is to 1500 with a frame which is super light aliuminium then another 600 up to a bottom of the range carbon fiber bike.

So if he(who is not a girl!! apparently) is offering 500 - go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you'll struggle to beat that DAC. Presuming the frame size is approp.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for that. It is a decent bike alright. (By the way Hannah is my daughters name but everyone thinks that I'm a girl because of the name.)

you wont often get a Look bike for less than €500, nice groupset on it too, but it looks more than 3 years old tbh.

Thanks all,
    FYI a neighbour that's been cyclying for years is setting up an old iron frame bike of his for me & we're heading out for a few spins over christmas. I'll take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Iron frame. Litreally or is that a brand name?

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Iron frame. Litreally or is that a brand name?

at least it would be stiff

ur on about a steel frame DAC? its tough cycling against a different class of bike where both cyclists are of the same fitness...

A steel frame V an aliminium frame
    an aliminium frame V a super light aliminium frame
    a super light aliminium frame V a cheap carbon frame
    a cheap carbon frame V a good light carbon frame...

I know it seems like I'm blaming a tool, but I'd bet a chippy with a drill would have a kitchen up faster than a chippy with a scewdriver...

Hi,
    Sorry steel frame is what I meant, the guy was going on about frames, gears, pedals, carbon forks, aluminium frames ect ect., he has a carbon bike worth 8K!!! TBH I thought cycling was fairly straightforward... but maybe not, got a dozen cycling mags off him to be going on with. Really I just want a bike that isn't too hard to cycle and is reasonably fast - I'll only be competing against myself, I'm looking forward to starting up!

there recently was a lovely giant SCR3 with a number of extras with it for sale on this forum for €500. great bike and a great deal, i would have bought it myself if i had the cash. you can get great deals if you look out for them. some roadies do like to change their bikes quiet often and do sell them on cheap.
    so check boards/adverts often.

Advertisement