Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligence over attraction

Options
  • 14-12-2007 1:12pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ladies, when you leave this world and people are looking back on your life, would you prefer to be remembered for being beautiful, (e.g. marilyn monroe who to this day is still referred to as a symbol of beauty) or would you prefer to be remembered for being clever (e.g. marie curie, invented radiation or something)?

before you jump in and respond "clever duh!", think about it a bit. Remembered for being beautiful could mean that your image is used in art and pop culture mediums for ions to come. Being clever will probably result in an article in the history books and wikipedia. Neither answer is a shallow test, its just an open question.

So whats your view?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

how about humanitarianism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

People can be remembered for being beautiful and clever too. That's what I want. Not really that bothered though, I'll be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well I'm both so no problem there!

If I were a celebrity I would be smart enough to know that there will be young girls looking up to me and so I would act in a proper fashion as a role model and in interviews I would try to come a cross as articulate and intelligent (kinda like Natalie Portman).

But as for history remembering me? If I were remembered primarily for being intelligent, I doubt anything about my looks would be mentioned (assuming I blossom into a beautiful swan, fingers crossed!) whereas if my main reason for being famous was good looks, it's likely that something about personality and intelligence would be remembered too.

On second thought: why would I care? I'll be being eaten by worms and maggots six feet below the ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

a bit of both would be nice really!!

If it's the people that you want to remember you and will generally be the people nearest and dearest to you then they'll probably think you're beautiful no matter what... in any case people can be beautiful but not amazing looking... my opinion anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

now now ladies, its only a hypothetical question. You must pick one option. No giving clever answers to outwit us men! ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

faceman wrote: »
    (e.g. marie curie, invented radiation or something)?
    Just to clarify, Marie Curie was not only the first person to win two Nobel Prizes (in two different science fields); she was also the first woman ever to be honoured with a Nobel. That's a bit more than "clever".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

biko wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Marie Curie was not only the first person to win two Nobel Prizes (in two different science fields); she was also the first woman ever to be honoured with a Nobel. That's a bit more than "clever".

I think it was jujst the awards people trying to be politically correct to be honest.

I'd defo prefer to be a hottie. **** what people remember me for. I wanna have fun while I'm alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

judging from some of the posts where i made a complete fool of myself, i dont think i will be remembered for being intelligent, so im going to say the latter, pah rather be know as somebody would could of having a laugh with though rather than somebody who is thinks there gods gift:D
    but then again ill be dead so how will i know..
    *ahhh im never going to die stop stop talking about me dying

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Neither. Id like to be remembered as someone who loved and cared for the people she knew. The beauty that comes from within and all that. ;)
    My intelligence is not memorable so I cant rely on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus, i never thought such a straightforward question would be so hard for the women to answer properly! Except tallaght01, although, he has manbits and doesnt count

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Cleverer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Cleverer?

i think the phrase your looking for is " the most cleverested person":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

emo!! wrote: »
    i think the phrase your looking for is " the most cleverested person":D

Thank you. I have, em, badness, in, em speaking.... letter groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

If I had to pick one I pick my looks. I know I'm intelligent but Im no einstein.

Im no cover girl either, but Id still choose looks.

Sorry I couldnt answer directly faceman. Ive heard this asked before as in: if you could be granted gorgeous looks or a genius mind which would you choose?

To give a fixed answer. Ill take the mind. Looks are temporary. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so is the mind though, if you have alzheimers

Mordeth wrote: »
    so is the mind though, if you have alzheimers
    Everything is temporary when the grim reaper gets you. But the original q was what youd be remembered by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If your beautiful the masses may know you.

If your intelligent and create something only a select few will know your name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Beautiful mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I stick by my original answer...I mean, who here would ride stephen hawkins? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

All the more so given the fact that it was her husband who did all the hard work :D

Advertisement