Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting Trade-in Prices for my car

Options
  • 14-12-2007 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Do garages have set trade in prices on each model of car, or does it depend on condition,spec,etc? Can you ring around for trade prices or do they actually have a brief look/drive of your car so they can give a more accurate figure?

The reason i'm asking this is because I will be looking for a new/newer car in a month or so. I currently have a black mark iv golf (00) 1.4 petrol, she has 90500 miles on her, and next service is due at 92k (tb will have to be done for sure,plus gear box is getting a little rough). I'm aware this car is a favourable one for garages to take in as they don't last too long on the forecourts. Would I be better off bringing it around to garages or ringing around.

(Oh and i'll more than likely be getting an A3 or an upgraded Golf as my next so main VAG dealers will also be in the frame).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

there is a general guide as far as im aware to how much each car will get on a trade in.
    i think it falls down to
    -mileage
    -year
    -any major bumps scratches
    -what car your trading it in for....

you'll get more value for a trade in on a brand new car against a car a few years old.
    def shop around on this but gengerally you'll do well to find 2 garages that arent within €200 of eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Please don't try and get a valuation of your car over the phone from a dealer. How is a sales person supposed to value a car without seeing it? Don't ask for a "ball park". It just annoys sales people.

Bring the car to any car dealer that has a car you're looking for. Have an idea in your head of what you're car is worth. You should be able to get a rough idea using carzone or the Revenue website. Obviously you will not get the full retail value as a trade in but if your car is retailing for €10k and the dealer offers you €3k, you know you're being ripped off.

The price of the trade in usually depends on:

-> Mileage
    -> Car History - NCT, Service History, Accidents or Dint/Dings/Scratches
    -> Current market trends and desirability (A Golf should be ok)
    -> General condition

Best of luck! Oh and don't stand there haggling over a hundred quid for two hours. This also annoys sales people. Be prepared to haggle a bit but don't get petty!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Best of luck! Oh and don't stand there haggling over a hundred quid for two hours. This also annoys sales people. Be prepared to haggle a bit but don't get petty!

That's €50 an hour. Not particularly hard work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Please don't try and get a valuation of your car over the phone from a dealer. How is a sales person supposed to value a car without seeing it? Don't ask for a "ball park". It just annoys sales people.

Bring the car to any car dealer that has a car you're looking for. Have an idea in your head of what you're car is worth. You should be able to get a rough idea using carzone or the Revenue website. Obviously you will not get the full retail value as a trade in but if your car is retailing for €10k and the dealer offers you €3k, you know you're being ripped off.

The price of the trade in usually depends on:

-> Mileage
    -> Car History - NCT, Service History, Accidents or Dint/Dings/Scratches
    -> Current market trends and desirability (A Golf should be ok)
    -> General condition

That's good advise. The dealer will have a "book" that will give them a rough indication. But in a car of ur age, they'll just use carzone. So just check carzone urself, see what u can buy one for, and don't expect alot more than that. Just be realistic, but as already said, u'll know when ur getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Golf drivers are notorious for over valuing their cars. I wouldn't go on Carzone prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Golf drivers are notorious for over valuing their cars. I wouldn't go on Carzone prices.

The book value of a car is very biased on mileage. and of course u can get a perfect car with 90000 miles and the same car with less mileage and it be a piece of ****. So if u can't work off the book, or can't work off the private market, where do u go?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

The book value of a car is very biased on mileage. and of course u can get a perfect car with 90000 miles and the same car with less mileage and it be a piece of ****. So if u can't work off the book, or can't work off the private market, where do u go?

Thats where the dealers judgement and customers negotiation skills meet.

Advertisement