Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner & boiler knackered. Gas or Oil next?

• 14-12-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Just had my oil burner looked at and it is knackered.
    Boiler is cracked and the burner is burnt out so to speak.

The service guy said I'm looking at about 2k to replace it.

I am considering getting in gas.

Has anyone had a gas system installed recently. If so how much did it cost and who did you use. Would you recommend it?

Also does anyone know where I could source a second hand Oil fired boiler to install myself if I decided to stay with oil?

Thanks,
    Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Playing devils advocate here but its kinda strange the way the boiler has cracked at the same time as the burner has burnt out. The two are totally unconnected. One is a box with water flowing through the wall and thats it. The other is a flame thrower that throws its flame into the box thru a hole at the bottom.

Did the boiler run dry? Did the burner go mental and die out in sympathy with the boiler? What are the symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

The boiler cracked and leaked water into the burner which caused it to short out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I've had both oil and gas and there's no comparison. Gas wins hands down - there's no maintenance and it's cleaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

wood pellet or wood chip, gas, and condincing oil boiler in that order
    I think oil price will go through the roof in the next ten years
    Some beleve we have reached peak oil all ready as it runs out prices will soar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You should have no problem picking one up in buynsell/adverts,etc, look for one that is being sold off because of woodchip install etc.
    If you can get one cheaply enough , it would make it worthwhile holding out for a little bit ( not too long! ) until the alternatives become better,more refined and cheaper.
    If oil prices soar , you will be at the mercy of the woodchip /woodpellet supplier since you can't make these at home easily, so it would probably make more sense to hold out for a good solarelectric+geothermal+wind system. Why all three? because of that special greyness we live in ... its not very windy/sunny/warm where we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Saying he should not get oil because of prices is not a reason not to go with oil again.. fact is, its cheaper to run right now. Also with very very minor modifications he can use biofuel.

For wood pellet.. take a look here: http://www.mulberrybiofuels.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Wood pellet looks interesting. Especially with the grants.

Although I think you only save if you buy pellets in 3tonne bags.
    The problem is, how big is a 3tonne bag of pellets? Dry storage would be the issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The cheapest to install and the cheapest to run at the moment is a modern oil boiler.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Saruman wrote: »
    Saying he should not get oil because of prices is not a reason not to go with oil again.. fact is, its cheaper to run right now. Also with very very minor modifications he can use biofuel.

Saruman-I know this is from an old thread but have finally decided, after much thought, to have an oil fired heating system installed-was very interested to note that it could be modified so as biofuel can be used instead-could you point me in the right direction for some information on this?
    Thanks in advance.
    F

Advertisement