Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Choosing a mobile broadband provider

Options
  • 14-12-2007 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello, has anyone from the west good/bad experiences with 3/Vodafone/O2 mobile broadband?

I am thinking of ditching my land line (1mb service) from BT. All in all, I pay around 80 euro a month for broadband and phone calls. But since I already have a mobile phone, and broadband at work, I dont think I need to pay for a phone that I never use.

I am thinking of getting a mobile broadband service. All the maps say I have perfect coverage where I live (Craughwell)

Any good tips? 3 is the cheapest by far, and I'm hoping that I will be one of few who are using that particular cell tower, so speeds will be decent?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Vodafone only have a 5 GB cap which is pretty small and they will charge you straight away if you go over it. O2 has a 10GB cap with fair use policy so if you go over they will warn you about it instead of immediately charging. O2 is the best option imo.

ps. didn't mention 3 because they don't provide anything other than a subscription headache service and should be avoided like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 philmcn

Thanks,

I think though, that I may have to sign up for a phone calling plan with 02 as well? I have a Vodafone 087 number already - do I have to switch everything to O2? Tried calling O2 but they're busy!

I'll take your word for the 3 nightmare. I have read enough rants already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 philmcn

Answered my own question - if you are not a 02 customer is it 69 to buy the modem, plus 40 euro per month for subscription. If you are a customer, it is 30 per month. Seems like a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not comparable at all to actual Broadband though. Your landline broadband is typically 1/5th the latency and 5x faster. And always connects. If 3G has already 24 connections on your sector, you can't connect.

Advertisement