Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Slang

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

"ill hit ya with so many lefts yel be prayin for a right" is loved the world over

"il give ya a dose of the sidekicks" when the whole of sligo had the dodgy movie channels on the cable shown kung fu movies all day

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

What about "pure"?

It seems to be placed in front of pretty much anything and everything for emphasis. "That band were pure class", "I'm pure tired", "Yer wan is puuuure cute".

This is used constantly by certain Sligo heads, but I've seen it used to a lesser extent by dubs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Dagon wrote: »
    What about "pure"?

It seems to be placed in front of pretty much anything and everything for emphasis. "That band were pure class", "I'm pure tired", "Yer wan is puuuure cute".

This is used constantly by certain Sligo heads, but I've seen it used to a lesser extent by dubs as well.

I'm pure guilty of using that one! :o

Also, what about "like"?
    For example, "did you see that tv show, like?" or "what is he on about, like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Madge wrote: »
    Also, what about "like"?
    For example, "did you see that tv show, like?" or "what is he on about, like?"

Dammit! I'd just about gotten out of the habit of saying like after everything!! :o

Or at least I think I had. Now I'm aware of it I'll start counting and driving myself mad again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dagon wrote: »
    What about "pure"?

The posts in the Sligo forum are pure shite - is that what you mean :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

muffler wrote: »
    The posts in the Sligo forum are pure shite - is that what you mean :D

Oi!! Careful now! We'll have to get Basquille onto you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

takola wrote: »
    Oi!! Careful now! We'll have to get Basquille onto you! :p
    :eek: Please no. Im heterosexual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

:eek: Please no. Im heterosexual ;)
    Whoa whoa whoa... it was one time and I was very very drunk! *

* OK.. it may have actually been closer to twice... or three times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Puts me in mind of this from Scotland:

Two Pakistani men immigrate to Scotland, and agree to meet two years later to see who has become the most Scottish. Two years pass. They meet and the first one says "I have a Scotland football jersey, I drink Scotch whisky and eat haggis every week, I've joined a pipe band, I own a Scottie dog, I wear a kilt everywhere, I salmon fish and I play golf ......... That's how Scottish I am. How Scottish have you become?"

The second one replies, "AWAY TAE FU*K YA PAKI B@STARD!"

:D Ha, ha, ha! Loved the joke, I promise not to get offended, hee hee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

haha, I'll admit I use "like " after a lot of stuff alright like ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

fair play lads... ye came 3rd...

i'm from waterford and we came in 4th...

looking forward to the book being published!

a tip for anyone that is annoyed with text speak or bad entries on the site... you can provide alternative entries and as the site is so new if you get one mate to vote on it, it will become the default term.

also, if something is really shyte just request it to be flushed.

sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Ha I heard a new one the other day.
    My sister was using it, she called someone a "minkasorous"!
    I don't know how it should be spelled but you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hahaha Minkasaurus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hahaha Minkasaurus!

Not only is that politically incorrect, it also brilliant!

As a non-Sligonian I could never understand "B-oooooo-k" (hooook, coooook etc), as oppossed to the rest of the world, who say buk. Oh, how I laughed when I first moved here. Booooooooooook indeed...

But while recently helping my girl with homework, getting her to pronounce sounds... :eek: two "O's" are pronounced "oooo"....:o

Sligo appears to have got it right. The rest of the world are wrong.

I stand corrected.

Hahaha Minkasaurus!

Haha I love it!

Ah you fixed the spelling! :D

sueme wrote: »
    Not only is that politically incorrect, it also brilliant!

As a non-Sligonian I could never understand "B-oooooo-k" (hooook, coooook etc), as oppossed to the rest of the world, who say buk. Oh, how I laughed when I first moved here. Booooooooooook indeed...

But while recently helping my girl with homework, getting her to pronounce sounds... :eek: two "O's" are pronounced "oooo"....:o

Sligo appears to have got it right. The rest of the world are wrong.

I stand corrected.

Haha I have had many an argument with people from different counties about how book is pronounced. Nobody would agree with me that it is book not buk apart from a fellow Sligonian. Are we the only people who say it "B-oooo-k"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yes, its just you.

Advertisement