Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best minigame in a Final Fantasy?

Options
  • 14-12-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

So what do people think is the best minigame from a final fantasy and why?

Best FF Minigame: 51 votes

FFVII: Chocobo Racing
    0% 0 votes
    FFVII: Golden Saucer Games
    11% 6 votes
    FFVIII: Card Game
    13% 7 votes
    FFIX: Card Game
    37% 19 votes
    FFIX: Chocobo Hot & Cold
    7% 4 votes
    FFIX: Skipping Rope
    0% 0 votes
    FFX: Blitzball
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    29% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i really liked the card game in 8, once i got into it and understood all the rules. Was annoyed at how difficult it was to get, and keep ALL the available cards. Ended up not getting them all in the end, was missing 5 or 6 i think.

In 7 I loved the bike and snowboarding in the golden saucer.

Didn't like the water polo/quiditch game in 10.

Never got into 9 so i don't know what the game in it is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

for me it would have to be Triple Triad with Blitzball coming a close second got absolutly obsessed with both those games.

The amount of effort they put into both games was great and I always liked having a distraction from the main plot that also rewards you with things like
    mega-elixers and limit breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Wow, 2 answers before I even get the poll completed:D

The poll contains all the games I could remember, i couldn't remember any at all from the older games.

I liked the card game from VIII the best because it was really simple but loads of fun, and it had the great idea of being able to spread rules from region to region (I had a great ruleset up all over the world by the end, can't quite remember what it was though, all I know is that it was reallly good...). The Blitzball game from X was a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheBigBiscuit

I said Blitzball, others were fun of course but Blitzball was worth playing again even where your finished:D!! in relation to the FFVIII card game, was there a special card you could get from some random spaceship after you completed the certain criteria? i vaguely remeber hearing it somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Blitzball was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

and there I was thinking I was the only one thought blitzball was crud...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I said Blitzball, others were fun of course but Blitzball was worth playing again even where your finished:D!! in relation to the FFVIII card game, was there a special card you could get from some random spaceship after you completed the certain criteria? i vaguely remeber hearing it somewhere!
    I chose Blitzball too, was a very fun game you could go back to but was another long grind in the end :(

Talking about that card, it was called the PuPu card, involved some elixirs and in the end, the card lived up to it's name, need i say more? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

yeh but finding that spaceship was pain in ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

muboop1 wrote: »
    yeh but finding that spaceship was pain in ass...

Do I remember something about cows :confused:

I voted for blitzball as it was like a second game, I liked the cards especially the fact that no matter how many of the lower end ones you had, you could trade them for an item, brilliant idea.
    I managed to get "open" & "take all" rules eventually (with help from net) there was a bitch of an area that had "random" & other horrible stuff, but there was a dude that when you played him reset all the rules & got rid of the mad ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'm the only person to vote for FF9's card game??!! I loved that game! The card game in FF8 was too easy. Once you get a few good cards in the beginning you were unbeatable for the whole game (apart from a few flukes). In FF9 the game could swing one way or another and was more exciting. And the combo's were cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

card game definitely best in FF9,FF8 was an experiment:Dbut you can access to the card game in FF8 very early in the game ,which makes me always end up spending at least half an hour on the game everytime i replay FF8...

FF7's snowboard and bike are my favorite too!

but then i remember how i hated Blitzball so much but eventually manage to play it well ,it becomes highly addictive!!i actually spend lots of hours on it!maybe near 1/4 of the total play time(plus that bloody Wakka sijil/weapon?).Most successful minigame ever!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Final Fantasy 8 card game. I got em all and it was totally worth it. Fun too. And yes the PuPu card sucked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was the card game in 8 followed closely by blitzball in 10. I hated both at first but I persisted and eventually got good at them. I quickly tired of blitzball as my team had become too good and it was rare that the other team scored. My team usually had a high score as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

FF8 card game aswell, fun, challenging and very beneficial.

Can't understand how people like Blitzball, I absolutely hated it, was so incredibly boring getting Wakkas stuff in it.

FF& had lots of great games, but most of em were only small so didn't really get a lot of playtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I had to pick the Chocobo racing - not just for the races themselves but the whole experience, finding out little tidbits of information from the Chocobo Sage and working out how to breed the best Chocobos. God knows how many hours I devoted to working my way up through the racing ranks, aswell as getting the different coloured Chocobos.

Blitzball would probably be second, then the card game. Both very well made but a lot more disconnected from the real games than Chocobo racing, which was an integral part of FFVII for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i absolutely loved the card game in ffIX , i was really good at it ha! wasn't that good at the blitzball so mehh to that, chocobo hot and cold was cool too, ha does anyone remember those funny guys in ffIX kinda short, spoke funny, oh brought hours of laughter awwwwh memories haha!
    i haven't even found the mini game in ffXII!

ffIX BEST FF EVER!!!!! i loved the little magic dude heehee

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There is no mini game in ff12 which is a bit of a disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Has to be the card game in FFVIII, it was so well designed and it's the most distracted I've ever become by an FF mini-game. The card game in FFIX was a real let down by comparison. I loved Chocobo Hot and Cold though, exploring the entire world map for treasure based on a snapshot was great fun. I remember one snapshot showed only ocean so I was really proud of myself when I found that one. Blitzball didn't do it for me at all though, I found it boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

There is no mini game in ff12 which is a bit of a disappointment.

but i read somehwhere that there was a fishing mini game or something, but i haven't found it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

chocobo racing/breeding

Knights of the round BABY YEAH!!!

• Advertisement

aliqueenb wrote: »
    but i read somehwhere that there was a fishing mini game or something, but i haven't found it yet?
    I think you're right. I haven't gotten to it either. Even still most of the mini-games can be gotten near the start of the game and is something you can do pretty much anywhere you go. I'm very far into ff12 and still haven't gotten the fishing mini-game and I'd say it's restricted to a few areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Personally I loved snowboarding in FFVII, triple triad was amazing too... Blitzball was ok, I think I got sick of it after the billionth match to unlock Wakka's sigil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Voted for the card game in 9 but blitzball in 10 was a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Voted for eight's card game too. thought blitzball was garbage. Just couldn't get into it. It's like Pro evo with ATB which wrecked my head no end. Card games were fun and a good way to take a break from the slog of the game. also enjoyed the gold saucer games in VII but thought breeding the chocobo's was a pain. Pity a gold one was needed to get so much cool stuff. It really just bored me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

chocobo racing/breeding

Knights of the round BABY YEAH!!!

I have to agree, i never got into any of the card games.

FFVII was my favourite by miles. Poor Aeris :(

Advertisement